Player Discussion Matt Grzelcyk

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
What do you do when McQuaid comes back? Who sits?

It'd be a shame for Gryz to get sent back down, because he's played well since his recall, and the fact that he's left shot has balanced things out so well in my eyes.

McQuaid, Miller and Carlo should probably rotate based on form and fitness.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
When McQuaid is ready, you 'sit' miller for a week or two and call it paternity leave. I think that is why his play has been shaky since his missed game.

Carlo, facing competition, has redoubled his efforts and looks like the guy from last year we all loved.

***Whoops, meant for the Carlo thread.***

Doesn't matter, Gryz has earned that 3rd pair LD spot. Yes, he has trouble sometimes clearing the front of the net but how often does he have to do that? Anyone dumping and chasing on him, like Panarin tonight, couldn't catch him. He got the puck and cut 180 in about a 5' turn, bounced off the wall to himself, skated out of the D zone and drove the play up the ice for a couple of scoring chances.

Last edited:

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Grzelcyk must be a nightmare to go up against in the neutral zone. It's so difficult to get pucks in deep behind him, since he pivots so quickly to retrieve the puck and then immediately shakes off a forecheker and hits an accurate pass going the other way.

Bruin4Life

Nov 6, 2006
Offensively I think he will become better. The big difference to why I am liking his game, at this moment, better than krug is that Gryz gets a shot on target. Krug picks the stantions to shoot at. Krug has become Dennis 'shoots' Wideman after Widemans one good year here

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I don't see how they can take him out right now. He's playing very well.

If that means McQuaid sits for awhile even if he's healthy enough to go, so be it.

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
He’s got to stay in the line up right now. He’s earned it. I’d like to see a Gryz McQuaid 3rd pairing with Miller rotating in from time to time.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Grizz with another strong game last night. For me (because I expected Heinen, McAvoy and DeBrusk to do well), he has been the biggest surprise this year. I never thought I would see he and Krug in the same lineup, but they are making it look good.

After his first stint earlier in the season, I wasn’t sure about his defensive game, but since he’s been back he has tightened it up and his compete level has been better. I still think he needs to have a bigger, physical partner to be at his best because of his size, but he’s making a believer out of me.

Reactions: BlackCrowes

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
He’s got to stay in the line up right now. He’s earned it. I’d like to see a Gryz McQuaid 3rd pairing with Miller rotating in from time to time.

I don't understand what dimension Adam McQuaid brings to this team, except his knuckles, that would want me to give him a top 7 spot on this roster.

You want to slot him in for the odd start in back to back nights, fine. But other than injury or a significant drop in form, there is no way he cracks my lineup.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I don't understand what dimension Adam McQuaid brings to this team, except his knuckles, that would want me to give him a top 7 spot on this roster.

You want to slot him in for the odd start in back to back nights, fine. But other than injury or a significant drop in form, there is no way he cracks my lineup.

Besides his physicality, McQ is also a strong penalty killer. I’m kind of intrigued by BD’s suggestion of running 7 D.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Whatever happens when McQuaid returns shouldn't affect Matt G. With him in the lineup we have an excellent transition game from the back end which is the way to go in today's game. Let Carlo and McQuaid fight it out for that last spot.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
No one is going to argue that Gryz hasn't played well enough to stay. He has and has even shown flashes of creativity and poise with the puck that match or exceed Krug or McAvoy.
My point with McQuaid is that people (wrongly) think all he brings is fighting. Yes he has less skill and flash but his decision making/shot blocking is usually good. More importantly he is very hard to play against and makes you earn your space when attacking. You end up getting bumped, bruised, whacked, cross checked, pounded, a glove in your face etc and eventually frustrated. There is a need for that as the playoffs approach.
I say since its a long season, try 7 D and see what happens. If he can't keep up after his leg injury then adjust. 40 year old Chara seems to have a good spring in his step now, trying this might also keep it there months from now in crunch time.

DNE3

Sep 14, 2010
IMO, he has made a Krug trade more possible.

Not ideal trade situation. Lil' Gryz three inches too short, twenty pounds too light, and with Zach Hamill-style build, and must play finesse game. Forcing more minutes and heavier role in Krug's spot will lead straight to injured reserve list. This is the play-it-safe no trade option.

Last edited:

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
McQuaid will be very valuable in the playoffs. Not sure they can ice both Gryz and Krug on that stage.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Well, whatever happens with McQuaid, this is a good problem to have. I wouldn't sit Grizz, not with the way he's playing and what he brings. I am not seeing his size as much of a liability- it's all how you use what you have. As for injuries, he hasn't had problems there yet, so talking about him getting banged up because he's small is premature. McQuaid (I really do like him as a player) brings some things Grizz doesn't for sure, but I feel like Grizz brings more of what we want on this team right now- fast, agile skating, great passing, transition awesomeness. If I was GM, I'd waive Postma and put Quaider as a 7th D (like others I am intrigued by @BruinDust 's idea of dressing 7 D). If we get another injury, we have a couple of guys down in PRO that can come up as 7th D men and not kill us.

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
I don't know. The Kuraly line seems to have some chemistry, so I'm not sure dressing 7D is ideal. I kind of like the idea of resting a different D each game. Keep them all fresh and rust-free (and that means waiving Postma, of course). It would be great to see Chara this mobile in the playoffs.

As the season progresses, injuries will probably make the too-many-D issue moot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad