Player Discussion Matt Grzelcyk

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
In 2-3 years from now, if McAvoy continues to excell, then I see Krug as being expandable (maybe even sooner). Especially if guys like O'Gara,Grezlyk get better.

Well in 2 and a half years from now, Torey Krug is a UFA.

I don't see O'Gara being the guy to make Krug expendable. Two different players with two different skill-sets. He might be able to cut into his 5 on 5 mins. though.

Even with McAvoy, they'll need more than one D-man who can work a PP.

Gryz, while he's a decent passer and puck-mover, doesn't display to me anyways, as the type to have a great deal of potential in the offensive zone. Doesn't have the goal-scoring ability that a Krug or McAvoy possesses. His skills will have more impact on clean zone break-outs and getting the puck up to the forwards in stride with speed.

If there is a D in the system I can see allowing them to move Krug before he's UFA, I would say Lauzon. To me anyways, he has the most offensive potential of the younger left-shot D (Zboril, Vaak, Johansson).

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
The Bruins seem to think highly of Grizz, so I am sure there is more than I am seeing in limited viewings. He's definitely a project d-man, however we imagine his upside, so if he's come up to Boston I hope it is to play not sit. I can't see Grizz not bringing at least as much to the table as Postma. Should Postma join Beleskey in Hayes' office, I'd like to see Grizz paired with Miller and Carlo/O'Gara as the second pair.

This was the rotation at morning skate (B's website):

Zdeno Chara - Charlie McAvoy
Rob O' Gara - Brandon Carlo
Matt Grzelcyk - Kevan Miller

Reactions: Dr Hook

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Grizz had a nice game last night- nothing super outstanding (though that chip pass into the flying DeBrusk for the opening goal was tasty!), but neither did he show some of the defensive liabilities I thought he showed in earlier call-ups. To me it appears like his time in Providence has done him a lot of good, and at least based on last night, while Krug and McQuaid are out, I see no reason to use Postma over Grizz.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Looked outmatched. No impact on the pp

Wish zboril or louzan were ready

I watched the game, I didn`t feel he looked outmatched at any time. There were a few occasions where he was out muscled along the wall for pucks but show me a D-man, #1 through 6 who hasn`t been. Once he got the puck, made intelligent and quick decisions with it.

I`m not convinced he`s "ready" for full time duty but I didn`t think he was, in any way a liability out there

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
I still feel like he just doesn't have the explosive skating or dynamic offensive ability to be a player. Maybe as a 5-6 guy, but with Krug here I don't see a fit. Even then I don't know he can bring the special teams offense/defense you'd want in that role. He was put into that PP position a lot in pre-season and I was underwhelmed. We shall see. I think they want him to be like Krug, but the only thing they have in common is their height.

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere
Grizz had a nice game last night- nothing super outstanding (though that chip pass into the flying DeBrusk for the opening goal was tasty!), but neither did he show some of the defensive liabilities I thought he showed in earlier call-ups. To me it appears like his time in Providence has done him a lot of good, and at least based on last night, while Krug and McQuaid are out, I see no reason to use Postma over Grizz.

Don't look now but Grizz has the the 4th best plus minus on the Bruins only behind Bergy, Marchand, and Chara.

He's been above steady has great puck retrieval skills and an outstanding outlet pass and can skate . He maybe be undersized but his hockey sense in his own end is A+. He's earned his stay!

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Don't look now but Grizz has the the 4th best plus minus on the Bruins only behind Bergy, Marchand, and Chara.

He's been above steady has great puck retrieval skills and an outstanding outlet pass and can skate . He maybe be undersized but his hockey sense in his own end is A+. He's earned his stay!

He has really been impressive to me his last several games- night and day from his previous call-ups, sort of like Danton Heinen in that regard. The staff saw something in him and it's paying off. He's playing really well, so now the question becomes what happens when McQuaid comes back?

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
He has really been impressive to me his last several games- night and day from his previous call-ups, sort of like Danton Heinen in that regard. The staff saw something in him and it's paying off. He's playing really well, so now the question becomes what happens when McQuaid comes back?

I continue to be impressed by Gryz. I didn't think that I would like him, especially with Krug already here, but man has he proven me wrong. Kind of hoping they just keep rolling these 6 out here.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

That is an excellent concise description

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

They were saying on the broadcast last night how much Cassidy likes his puck-moving abilities and how the Bruins are defending less with Gryz on the ice because he is very effective at breaking the puck out of the zone.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Grzelcyk has been good maybe very good.

Flying completely under the radar

not under my radar. He's been excellent. There is no way you can take him out of the lineup right now. I love him on the power play. I would say he's better than Krug while out at that point.

Reactions: DKH

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Will be an excellent test for him tonight against a big heavy rested team. So far he has been a huge surprise to me, love the mobility he adds to our D.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
Oh good lord. What the hell does that mean? "He's been good, but he's also meh, kinda boring".

What is it that you like, if anything?

He wants to go back to the Wideman days when you don't if he was going to break out cleanly or pass to an opponent for a beautiful onetime against. :sarcasm:

RoughEmUp

Sep 5, 2007
In the last ten years, while in school, none of these defensemen were better than Gryzelcyk:
Matt Gilroy
Brian Strait
David Warsofsky
Eric Gryba
Kevin Shattenkirk
Colby Cohen
Adam Clendening
Charlie McAvoy

All played in the NHL, with varying degrees of success. Obviously, different types of players here, but Gryzelcyk was definitely the most well-rounded while at BU. McAvoy had more obvious all-around potential, but he made a lot of mistakes, took a lot of poor penalties, and didn’t produce as much offensively as you would think. Shattenkirk was maybe a bit better than Gryzelcyk offensively, but was borderline atrocious defensively. Like Shatty and McAvoy, Gryzelcyk was also a leader on the NTDP as well as at BU. I think he just oozes more pedigree and accomplishment than some here are acknowledging.

He is an NHL player. If he gets more time and confidence, he could be a real nice second pairing for a solid NHL career. Top pp pairing with McAvoy not out of the question. Better vision than Krug.

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere
In the last ten years, while in school, none of these defensemen were better than Gryzelcyk:
Matt Gilroy
Brian Strait
David Warsofsky
Eric Gryba
Kevin Shattenkirk
Colby Cohen
Adam Clendening
Charlie McAvoy

All played in the NHL, with varying degrees of success. Obviously, different types of players here, but Gryzelcyk was definitely the most well-rounded while at BU. McAvoy had more obvious all-around potential, but he made a lot of mistakes, took a lot of poor penalties, and didn’t produce as much offensively as you would think. Shattenkirk was maybe a bit better than Gryzelcyk offensively, but was borderline atrocious defensively. Like Shatty and McAvoy, Gryzelcyk was also a leader on the NTDP as well as at BU. I think he just oozes more pedigree and accomplishment than some here are acknowledging.

He is an NHL player. If he gets more time and confidence, he could be a real nice second pairing for a solid NHL career. Top pp pairing with McAvoy not out of the question. Better vision than Krug.

His emergence makes Krug expendable.

Im not saying trade krug as he's dynamic offensively but it gives the Bruins that option if the right deal gets offered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad