Player Discussion Matt Grzelcyk

Status
Not open for further replies.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Your forgot to mention their ice time which Krug gets more of then either Carlo or Grzelcyk, also Grzelcyk plays sheltered minutes compared to either Carlo or Krug. Both Carlo and Krug play against top lines nightly, not so much for Grzelcyk. I don’t hate Grzelcyk but he needs to build strength which he lacks at the moment and I really don’t think the Bruins need another 5’8” dman, but that’s just me.

So far these year, the league leaders for on ice save % include Jakub Jerabrk, Kurtis Macdermid, Dylam Demelo, David Schelmko, Michal Kempny, Andrew Macdonald. All the Norris contenders, obviously.

While the bottom of the barrel includes Shea Weber, OEL, Larsson, Giordano, and Parayko (all worse than Krug). Wonder if we could get that Giordano guy for Beleksey?

Reactions: zaYG

zaYG

Nerevarine
Jun 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
For me, Carlo is the trade we need to make while his value is "Rod Langway" like. Because to me, he is looking more Paul Postma like.

His effort on that third goal was simply pitiful. Almost like he is afraid to clear the net and his strength was also sad.....Two games ago or so it was the lazy pass intercepted for a goal....The guy HITS nobody. How can you be that big and be so soft.

CHARA-McAvoy
MILLER-GRYZ
McQUAID KRUG.....

Now Krug is brutal as well....But he can pass the puck as well as any Dman in the league including Karlson....Problem is he shoots it like Helen Keller....He is arrogant and he does not seem to realize his mistakes nor admit and correct them. But i can live with him because he can produce. As long as we use him sparingly enough when we are even or ahead a goal or two.

Langway....whoops, Carlo has value. I know he is big, can skate and somewhat coordinated....But his hockey IQ leaves something to be desired. It seems like he still is not comfortable with the speed of the game.

He would be a great chip at the deadline. Package him with Spooner and a prospect and make a "hockey trade" that actually makes us better instead of a trade that we have to wait three years to see some fruit.
Can we stop trying to throw away talent? Every time we decide we want to move a player away, that makes the AHL squad one bit closer to making our roster when an injury happens. Keep this glut of talent for the playoffs.

Remember when we didn't have a glut of talent in the back end? Remember 2013 when we couldn't replace Seids because the only option was Andrei f***ing Mezaros? If we have to sit Mcquaid as the #7...that is fine! He will inevitably slot in when we have injuries...I'd rather him than Postma or some deadline pickup scrub like a Polak or something...

Reactions: Oates2Neely

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
So far these year, the league leaders for on ice save % include Jakub Jerabrk, Kurtis Macdermid, Dylam Demelo, David Schelmko, Michal Kempny, Andrew Macdonald. All the Norris contenders, obviously.

While the bottom of the barrel includes Shea Weber, OEL, Larsson, Giordano, and Parayko (all worse than Krug). Wonder if we could get that Giordano guy for Beleksey?
You have lost me here not sure what exactly you are trying to say with regards to what I said about ice times for the three????

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
He should continue playing sheltered minutes on the third pairing. That's where he thrives at and helps the team most.

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
Can we stop trying to throw away talent? Every time we decide we want to move a player away, that makes the AHL squad one bit closer to making our roster when an injury happens. Keep this glut of talent for the playoffs.

Remember when we didn't have a glut of talent in the back end? Remember 2013 when we couldn't replace Seids because the only option was Andrei ****ing Mezaros? If we have to sit Mcquaid as the #7...that is fine! He will inevitably slot in when we have injuries...I'd rather him than Postma or some deadline pickup scrub like a Polak or something...
Thing is, when you trade talent......You usually get talent back. There are different degree's of trades and different angles for making a trade......

When i suggest Trading a kid who is obviously over rated by fans who are viewing him with rose colored glasses...As fans tend to do....What i receive back is someone who fits the culture, who is young enough to make an impact and can be signed.

I am not suggesting the type of trades our GM makes where we give away high end talent for futures 3-4-5 years down the road....I am talking a genuine old fashioned need for need hockey trade.....Teams that usually address needs...Tend to go a long way.See PENS. See KINGS, see HAWKS all have made deadline or in season deals to actually improve the on ice product and have all won three cups in an era that i watched our team win won.....With perhaps as good a nucleus as those teams....I will go to my grave knowing we should have beat Chicago in 2013........

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY

Remember when we didn't have a glut of talent in the back end? Remember 2013 when we couldn't replace Seids because the only option was Andrei ****ing Mezaros? If we have to sit Mcquaid as the #7...that is fine! He will inevitably slot in when we have injuries...I'd rather him than Postma or some deadline pickup scrub like a Polak or something...
After a win many posters are like "This guy is great, that guy is great, he's the next Middleton."
After a loss, many posters are like, talking about the same players here : "This guy sucks, that guy sucks. That guy needs to be traded".
Many are the same ones who bash Sweeney. If these guys were GM, 1/2 the team would be gone after each loss.

Reactions: zaYG and BBB24

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
48 is surprising me. But for me and I might be wrong but 2 of 47 and 48 on the same team is too much.

Why? Grizz has been decent defensively- not that he can't improve still, and we hope he does- but I don't see how unless Grizz is a total defensive zone disaster where having more than one player that can pass and skate and carry the puck on the blueline is a bad thing.

Reactions: TCB

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Why? Grizz has been decent defensively- not that he can't improve still, and we hope he does- but I don't see how unless Grizz is a total defensive zone disaster where having more than one player that can pass and skate and carry the puck on the blueline is a bad thing.
agreed!

Grizz uses his strength and that is his quickness, great vision and passing as good as any Bruin defenseman is at doing that. And thats what gets the puck out of the zone more times than not. I don't care if he's not 6'2 225 hes extremely effective. He has wheels and he gets the job done!

Reactions: Dr Hook

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
agreed!

Grizz uses his strength and that is his quickness, great vision and passing as good as any Bruin defenseman is at doing that. And thats what gets the puck out of the zone more times than not. I don't care if he's not 6'2 225 hes extremely effective. He has wheels and he gets the job done!

As i said, I might be wrong but I do not like having 2 small D especially on the road. But I also said that up to now he did surprise me. And I do like Mcquaid in our line up when he is ready to go especially with our lack of intimidating presence up front.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

It works when you have a LD in Chara that can play something like 70% of all Bruins PK minutes.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
As i said, I might be wrong but I do not like having 2 small D especially on the road. But I also said that up to now he did surprise me. And I do like Mcquaid in our line up when he is ready to go especially with our lack of intimidating presence up front.

I wouldn't want them out there together or killing penalty's but if you pair them up right,I feel there's no harm.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
2nd minus game of the year for Grzelcyk but to be fair, it came on that ridiculous bank shot off the back glass and off Tuukka's back.

He played another fine, sixteen and a half minutes.

Reactions: ORR2Sanderson2ORR

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere
2nd minus game of the year for Grzelcyk but to be fair, it came on that ridiculous bank shot off the back glass and off Tuukka's back.

He played another fine, sixteen and a half minutes.
He sure did. His board work in the defensive zone is surprisingly good. I remember one play where he went left,right, left then back to the right and in a nano second he darted up the ice with the puck.

Reactions: Dr Hook and 00BW

Brewins

Apr 23, 2015
He doesn't get much of a chance to be seen in the defensive zone, because everytime I see him he is taking the puck out of the zone or making a laser pass tape - tape across the blue line.

He looks smart on the boards and is learning to roam with the puck in the o-zone, he used to just peel off after he got past the dots, now he is carrying and free-wheeling a bit.

He may get outmatched physically but can get the puck out of board battles with his brain, like heinen, and make the strong pass he ends up being the best type of defenseman. One who never has to defend.

I like him as depth pmd to pair with killer. Either can move up and mcq or ogara can jump into the lineup in case of an injury.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Matt Grzelcyk deserves to keep playing - The Boston Globe

Dress him in a beanie and put whiskers on his chin, and the 5-foot-9-inch, 174-pound Grzelcyk could play the part of a barista better than NHL defenseman. Grzelcyk shares the blue line with Zdeno Chara, the biggest man to ever play the game. While everybody defers to the 6-9, 250-pound Chara, the natural inclination with Grzelcyk is to pinch his cheeks and pat him atop his head.
Yet for as out of place as Grzelcyk might seem because of his appearance, his on-ice play dictates he is as worthy as father John, the veteran Bull Gang member, to consider the Garden his office. Saturday marked Grzelcyk’s 11th straight appearance following his Nov. 21 recall from Providence. He has done little to merit a return to Rhode Island.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
What do you do when McQuaid comes back? Who sits?

It'd be a shame for Gryz to get sent back down, because he's played well since his recall, and the fact that he's left shot has balanced things out so well in my eyes.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
48 is surprising me. But for me and I might be wrong but 2 of 47 and 48 on the same team is too much.

On the contrary, I think having McQuaid and Miller on the same team is too much. Over the past year Miller has really proven himself and the contract he was given, in my opinion he's an absolute bargain. I love McQuaid and he's so underappreciated at times, but I think his spot has been taken.

Sends the wrong message to such a young team to make a kid who has played his heart out (and has helped the team in so many ways) sit, or go back to Providence. I love McQuaid but I thought he should have been exposed. I wasn't a big Colin Miller guy, but since Miller got extended I was waiting for the McQuaid trade notification. Like others have said, it's not bad to have McQuaid and Postma as your #7 and #8... At some point we're going to have a big injury and it's great that we can have them as backups.

gumgum

Oct 15, 2017
What do you do when McQuaid comes back? Who sits?

It'd be a shame for Gryz to get sent back down, because he's played well since his recall, and the fact that he's left shot has balanced things out so well in my eyes.

someone who should be playing will not be, because adam will be: that's the essence of it.

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
On the contrary, I think having McQuaid and Miller on the same team is too much. Over the past year Miller has really proven himself and the contract he was given, in my opinion he's an absolute bargain. I love McQuaid and he's so underappreciated at times, but I think his spot has been taken.

Sends the wrong message to such a young team to make a kid who has played his heart out (and has helped the team in so many ways) sit, or go back to Providence. I love McQuaid but I thought he should have been exposed. I wasn't a big Colin Miller guy, but since Miller got extended I was waiting for the McQuaid trade notification. Like others have said, it's not bad to have McQuaid and Postma as your #7 and #8... At some point we're going to have a big injury and it's great that we can have them as backups.

Never said 48 out Mcquaid in. I said 2 of 47 and 48 is to much. For me Mcquaid belongs on this roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad