Player Discussion Matt Grzelcyk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
(I take it this isn't a good sign for Krug's injury status.)

That was my thought also- clearly needing a 7th man to rotate in if needed sounds as if Krug is more than just day to day. I hope if anyone sits its Postma and not O'Gara.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Maybe in the minority, but I haven't liked Postma or O'Gara very much. Don't mind this move even if Krug isn't out for a while.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Maybe in the minority, but I haven't liked Postma or O'Gara very much. Don't mind this move even if Krug isn't out for a while.

Fair enough- I have liked O'Gara a lot based on what I expect him to bring- if Krug really is going to be down for a while and we need someone to step into that role as a puck mover, then I see Postma as the odd man out. He was supposed to bring that game when we signed him and he's been pretty awful. I don't think anyone expects O'Gara to be that guy, at least not at this point in his career (and maybe ever). Postma hasn't been that strong defensively, and I don't think you bring up the undersized offensively oriented guy in Grzelcyk to pair with Postma to steady the defensive side. But who knows? Matt Beleskey has gotten games this season so anything is possible :laugh:

World of Wardlow

Unscripted Violence
Jul 13, 2006
Montreal

You're not in the minority. I don't mind Postma's "game," but at 8-10 minutes a night, it won't improve. Same goes for O'Gara. To be honest, I don't like the idea of O'Gara getting low minutes when he can get more than double in Providence.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
He's like a poor mans Krug, hence the replacement.

Moves the puck well and should only be up in Boston if Krug is out.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Lines in practice today

Chara – McAvoy
O'Gara/Postma – Carlo
Grzelcyk – Miller

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I actually have really liked O'Gara in the limited time he's been paired with Carlo.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
Maybe I was just expecting more based on all the posts praising him on these forums.
The excitement for him is that he will be a reliable NHL D. Never an offensive guy just a reliable guy for the bottom pair maybe middle pair upside. Nothing wrong with that you need those guys too. Part of the excitement is he is closer to the NHL than some of the other guys.

Reactions: Dr Hook

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
The excitement for him is that he will be a reliable NHL D. Never an offensive guy just a reliable guy for the bottom pair maybe middle pair upside. Nothing wrong with that you need those guys too. Part of the excitement is he is closer to the NHL than some of the other guys.
Yeah, maybe I just need to temper my expectations. There's nothing wrong with him becoming a solid bottom pair guy.

BruinsNetwork

You're not in the minority. I don't mind Postma's "game," but at 8-10 minutes a night, it won't improve. Same goes for O'Gara. To be honest, I don't like the idea of O'Gara getting low minutes when he can get more than double in Providence.

Well, in my opinion that is exactly what O'Gara needs. Low ice-time in Boston rather than high-minutes in the AHL.

There really isn't much for O'Gara to learn in the AHL at this point, he's on a much higher-level than most players in that league. He could benefit from bottom-pairing minutes with an NHL team for sure. He's ready for the show, if you ask me.

O'Gara will most-likely never be a high-caliber two-way defensemen due to his limited offensive capabilities, but he offers a steady, puck-moving game as a large defender. You don't notice him much, and that's a good thing.

I will say this though, there just aren't many other 6'4" defensemen in the NHL that can skate as well as he can. He has a powerful, yet silky-smooth stride that you just don't find in players his size. O'Gara with the right amount of seasoning in Boston, could be a quality defensemen for the teams 2nd-3rd pairing.

As far as Gryzelcyk goes, I think a lot of people forget that he was a true rookie last year in the AHL for Providence. He still has room to grow and I think he's an NHL player. Is he a prolific top-4 D? No, but he's a good puck-moving defender who can make some really nice plays on the blueline. There have been several occasions in Providence this year where he pulled his best "Kaberle" impression with an impressive keep on the offensive blueline. He's not big, but he's a very fast player, which makes up for some size disadvantages.

Gryzelcyk has great vision and defensive awareness too, so when he gets to the puck in his own zone, he battles hard to retrieve it. Moving the puck out of his zone quickly is what makes him a good player to be called up.

One of the comments here said Gryzelcyk should only be called up in the event of an injury and I strongly disagree. The Bruins may not have the roster space for him so it may not be for another year or two, but Gryzelcyk is an NHL player. I think there are plenty of teams in the NHL that could directly benefit from having him on their 3rd-pair right now. Maybe his real NHL opportunity will end up being as a result of a trade or signing elsewhere when his contract is up, but he is a quality defender and will someday be an NHL regular.

Reactions: Ritmo

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
From the small sample size I`ve seen both Grizz and O`Gara, I like em` both. Neither the finished product but neither has looked overwhelmed. One a 5th rounder, the other a 3rd rounder getting time in the NHL early in their career? Umm, yes please, we`ve all seen far worse back there

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
So we have a defense with a poor mans version of Krug in Grezlyk, Postma and O'Gara. Please explain to me how McQuaid is terrible and overpaid again?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Well, in my opinion that is exactly what O'Gara needs. Low ice-time in Boston rather than high-minutes in the AHL.

There really isn't much for O'Gara to learn in the AHL at this point, he's on a much higher-level than most players in that league. He could benefit from bottom-pairing minutes with an NHL team for sure. He's ready for the show, if you ask me.

O'Gara will most-likely never be a high-caliber two-way defensemen due to his limited offensive capabilities, but he offers a steady, puck-moving game as a large defender. You don't notice him much, and that's a good thing.

I will say this though, there just aren't many other 6'4" defensemen in the NHL that can skate as well as he can. He has a powerful, yet silky-smooth stride that you just don't find in players his size. O'Gara with the right amount of seasoning in Boston, could be a quality defensemen for the teams 2nd-3rd pairing.

As far as Gryzelcyk goes, I think a lot of people forget that he was a true rookie last year in the AHL for Providence. He still has room to grow and I think he's an NHL player. Is he a prolific top-4 D? No, but he's a good puck-moving defender who can make some really nice plays on the blueline. There have been several occasions in Providence this year where he pulled his best "Kaberle" impression with an impressive keep on the offensive blueline. He's not big, but he's a very fast player, which makes up for some size disadvantages.

Gryzelcyk has great vision and defensive awareness too, so when he gets to the puck in his own zone, he battles hard to retrieve it. Moving the puck out of his zone quickly is what makes him a good player to be called up.

One of the comments here said Gryzelcyk should only be called up in the event of an injury and I strongly disagree. The Bruins may not have the roster space for him so it may not be for another year or two, but Gryzelcyk is an NHL player. I think there are plenty of teams in the NHL that could directly benefit from having him on their 3rd-pair right now. Maybe his real NHL opportunity will end up being as a result of a trade or signing elsewhere when his contract is up, but he is a quality defender and will someday be an NHL regular.

Gryz and O'Gara may turn out to be solid 3rd pairing guys.

Nothing wrong with that, not every prospect end up a Top 4 D-man playing 20+ mins a game.

O'Gara like you said doesn't have much to gain from playing in Providence anymore.

Solid 3rd pairing D-men are still valuable players on any roster. If you can find a couple of them in the 3rd and 5th round, you're doing alright.

I'd rather see either of these guys over Postma, who hasn't impressed me at all.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com

Agree with all of this and I'll add that I liked his game during camp and call-ups.

That said, you mentioned Zboril had no points in the prospect thread but Gryz only has 4 points and I have to think Gryz is getting more minutes and PP time. For a guy who skates well, thinks well and moves the puck well, you'd think he'd have more production.

Honestly, it seems like all of the D down there are struggling to put up points. Johansson and Lauzon only have 2 each. Oddly enough, Cross leads the D in scoring with 6 points and he's never been an offensive guy. Is it ice time? Role? Lack of finish up front? System?

Your thoughts on Johansson would also be appreciated.

BruinsNetwork

Agree with all of this and I'll add that I liked his game during camp and call-ups.

That said, you mentioned Zboril had no points in the prospect thread but Gryz only has 4 points and I have to think Gryz is getting more minutes and PP time. For a guy who skates well, thinks well and moves the puck well, you'd think he'd have more production.

Honestly, it seems like all of the D down there are struggling to put up points. Johansson and Lauzon only have 2 each. Oddly enough, Cross leads the D in scoring with 6 points and he's never been an offensive guy. Is it ice time? Role? Lack of finish up front? System?

Your thoughts on Johansson would also be appreciated.

To be honest, it's a little bit of everything. Providence has some good young defensemen for sure, but they are just that, young or inexperienced. So some of it is role and some of it is system. It's the first full year under a new coach (Jay Leach) for them, as well.

The only reason I put a note into Zboril failing to record a point thus far is that he has had ample chances to score but hasn't. He's had a couple of opportunities and has shown flashes of a tremendously skilled, two-way defensemen, but hasn't converted. I don't put too much weight into the zero points thing, but rather use it to understand the scouts' (that's plural because I have spoken to many) views on lack of a "cohesive" game. It's still early, but it's just something to be aware of.

Emil Johansson is one of my favorite Bruins prospects, I'm very high on him. I doubt he will ever be a top-4 D in the NHL, but he seems to be a reliable 3rd-pairing defensemen that most NHL teams would love to have. Although he 2 points, he's only played in half as many games as everyone else due to him being the 7th-D right now. His skating ability is smooth and pure, with great defensive awareness. In the previous leagues he's played in, he's been more of an offensively-minded guy. But in Providence he's just been playing some really solid, puck-moving defense.

His ability in the offensive zone to maintain possession and keep the play alive is impressive, too. He had a strong weekend in Providence. When all of the injuries subside in Boston, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a chance later in the year on recall. He's as good of a 7th-round pick as you could hope for.

The points for all the Providence defensemen seem to be down a bit, so I wouldn't put too much weight into it. However, in the curious case of Zboril, 0-points is still 0-points. Points aren't everything, and before certain fans crucify me, I'll say I'm making this Zboril evaluation based on a lot of different factors. I'm still optimistic and by no means writing him off, but there is reason to have legitimate concerns about him.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The difference between Grizz and Zboril is ZBoril can be a productive NHL player if he puts up 15 points a season, as he is a physical force, and has the ability to be a very good defensive defenseman.

Grizz only value is his offense. He is completely overmatched in his defensive zone. So far as a pro he hasn't shown the ability to produce the type of offense that would be required for him to be an NHL regular

If there is a team in the league that Grizz would be a regular in the top 6, then I'd argue it is a very poor team

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
should be johansson

why isn`t it then? Asking not debating. I know based on comments I`ve read from Cassidy I believe that he/they (Bruins brass) thinks Grizz brings some of the same elements Krug does and I understand that but would it make sense IF Johansson is better or gives the B`s a better chance of winning, wouldn`t they give him the call instead?

Coming clean, other than the B`s games, haven`t seen Grizz once nor Johansson at all

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
The Bruins seem to think highly of Grizz, so I am sure there is more than I am seeing in limited viewings. He's definitely a project d-man, however we imagine his upside, so if he's come up to Boston I hope it is to play not sit. I can't see Grizz not bringing at least as much to the table as Postma. Should Postma join Beleskey in Hayes' office, I'd like to see Grizz paired with Miller and Carlo/O'Gara as the second pair.

World of Wardlow

Unscripted Violence
Jul 13, 2006
Montreal
Gryz and O'Gara may turn out to be solid 3rd pairing guys.

Nothing wrong with that, not every prospect end up a Top 4 D-man playing 20+ mins a game.

O'Gara like you said doesn't have much to gain from playing in Providence anymore.

Solid 3rd pairing D-men are still valuable players on any roster. If you can find a couple of them in the 3rd and 5th round, you're doing alright.

I'd rather see either of these guys over Postma, who hasn't impressed me at all.

In 2-3 years from now, if McAvoy continues to excell, then I see Krug as being expandable (maybe even sooner). Especially if guys like O'Gara,Grezlyk get better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad