Player Discussion Matt Grzelcyk

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
His emergence makes Krug expendable.

Im not saying trade krug as he's dynamic offensively but it gives the Bruins that option if the right deal gets offered.
Sure hope the Bruins don’t agree with you, the only similarities are their size. Gryzelcyk needs to go back to Providence once McQuaid comes back to work on his strength, he doesn’t have it yet.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Still don't see it. Soon to turn 24. He's been alright as a #6 D playing under 15 minutes a game. Smooth and smart. Krug replacement? I don't think so. Not the same at all. About as similar as Carlo and Chara... well they're both tall (or short in this case)! Get rid of one.

Reactions: BBB24

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere
Sure hope the Bruins don’t agree with you, the only similarities are their size. Gryzelcyk needs to go back to Providence once McQuaid comes back to work on his strength, he doesn’t have it yet.

Grizz strength is his speed and acceleration he has a great second gear which separates him from on coming fore-checkers. I think hes here to stay. He just does to many things well to send back down.

Reactions: JCRO and DKH

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB

I find with the puck Gryzelcyk is smarter then Krug.Just needs experience.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
I find with the puck Gryzelcyk is smarter then Krug.Just needs experience.

I agree with this.

I am on the Gryz bandwagon. And I hope he emerges and brings what Krug brings.. And more. Yet another young guy making a claim for a full time roster spot. Its awesome to see.

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
Crazy that folks here are saying he needs to go back to providence. He looks like the real deal. Vranas goal was just a thing of beauty, other than that goal how many other bad goals has he given up? Because I can think about 10 more from each of our defensmen right now. He's playing well and deserves that spot.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Good for Gryz stating the obvious -- he got caught flat footed and out of position for the goal. Big deal it happens.

If people want to make a big deal out of that - then they'll have to have a go at Carlo as well. He had a few tough plays last night.

For the record -- for me, both are fine and show good promise.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
decision time for the organization with the return of Quaider nearing. It`s a catch 22, with all the internal competition, someone will be on the short end and some fans won`t like it but man o man, can`t recall the last time this organization had itself in a position where they had this luxury

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
By his own admission, was caught out of position tonight which resulted in a DC goal. He said in post game he will try to learn from it.
I like that he is humble enough to admit it. Krug makes mistakes like that all the time and then, He makes them again.

This kid see's the game head and shoulders better then Krug. He even hits the net when he shoots the puck.

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
For me, Carlo is the trade we need to make while his value is "Rod Langway" like. Because to me, he is looking more Paul Postma like.

His effort on that third goal was simply pitiful. Almost like he is afraid to clear the net and his strength was also sad.....Two games ago or so it was the lazy pass intercepted for a goal....The guy HITS nobody. How can you be that big and be so soft.

CHARA-McAvoy
MILLER-GRYZ
McQUAID KRUG.....

Now Krug is brutal as well....But he can pass the puck as well as any Dman in the league including Karlson....Problem is he shoots it like Helen Keller....He is arrogant and he does not seem to realize his mistakes nor admit and correct them. But i can live with him because he can produce. As long as we use him sparingly enough when we are even or ahead a goal or two.

Langway....whoops, Carlo has value. I know he is big, can skate and somewhat coordinated....But his hockey IQ leaves something to be desired. It seems like he still is not comfortable with the speed of the game.

He would be a great chip at the deadline. Package him with Spooner and a prospect and make a "hockey trade" that actually makes us better instead of a trade that we have to wait three years to see some fruit.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I vocally was not a fan early on, but he's impressing me. Although I disagree that he makes Krug expendable....two different skill sets IMO.

I could see Carlo being a good trade chip as the above poster said.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
Not just Carlo, most young defencemen now are stick checkers and anglers that keep things to the outside. I hate that type of D but that's the way the games going....so when you do find a skilled physical D nowadays willing to tenderize/frustrate the smurfs and make them want to dump and change, consider yourself lucky.

Personally I would replace Carlo with McQuaid when he's healthy, if for no other reason than to p1$$ him off.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
A lot of carlo and Gryz bashing here.

Gryz on ice stats (small sample):
8 GF/ 2 GA
97.8% goalie save percentage when he is on the ice(even strength)
9.0 team shooting percentage when he is on the ice(even strength)

Carlo:
19 GF/ 17 GA
92.4 goalie save percentage when he is on the ice (even strength)
9.0 team shooting percentage when he is on the ice (even strength)

Krug:
16 GF/18 GA
87.8 goalie save percentage when he is on the ice (even strength)
10.0 team shooting percentage when he is on the ice (even strength)

Wiggleboom

Feb 6, 2010
Vancouver
Why would we trade anyone right now? Keep all 7 and rotate the bottom 3 guys in and out. There will definitely be many more D-man injuries before the end of the year. Remember the playoffs last year? It’s nice to have a real NHL D-man as #7 and then even Postma as #8.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Why would we trade anyone right now? Keep all 7 and rotate the bottom 3 guys in and out. There will definitely be many more D-man injuries before the end of the year. Remember the playoffs last year? It’s nice to have a real NHL D-man as #7 and then even Postma as #8.

Agreed.

Especially since we have a history of horrific luck with injuries to blue liners in the post season. Griz 7 Postma 8 and OGara 9 works for me. Don't lose anyone to waivers if you don't have to or else we'll waste assets at the deadline on crap like Mottau and Zanon. Torey Krug might be out of hockey if Wade Redden doesn't go down. I think we played Bartowski first that playoffs. And Krug didn't score in the AHL prior to his breakout he only put up points in the NHL.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
McQuaid to me is the odd man out, team is flying without his lack of any puck skills, break out or passing. Grizz saves them over 2 million on salary by comparison, combine that with another couple salaries and we are in the market for something bigger and better. Grizz has grown by leaps and bounds in this time period and is showing more confidence, he is ready to stay

Last edited:

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
For me, Carlo is the trade we need to make while his value is "Rod Langway" like. Because to me, he is looking more Paul Postma like.

His effort on that third goal was simply pitiful. Almost like he is afraid to clear the net and his strength was also sad.....Two games ago or so it was the lazy pass intercepted for a goal....The guy HITS nobody. How can you be that big and be so soft.

CHARA-McAvoy
MILLER-GRYZ
McQUAID KRUG.....

Now Krug is brutal as well....But he can pass the puck as well as any Dman in the league including Karlson....Problem is he shoots it like Helen Keller....He is arrogant and he does not seem to realize his mistakes nor admit and correct them. But i can live with him because he can produce. As long as we use him sparingly enough when we are even or ahead a goal or two.

Langway....whoops, Carlo has value. I know he is big, can skate and somewhat coordinated....But his hockey IQ leaves something to be desired. It seems like he still is not comfortable with the speed of the game.

He would be a great chip at the deadline. Package him with Spooner and a prospect and make a "hockey trade" that actually makes us better instead of a trade that we have to wait three years to see some fruit.
So let’s trade Carlo because we think he is “Rod Langway”, well if he is I say let’s keep him on our blue line and trade anyone not named McAvoy. Carlo is exactly what every team needs, he is big, skates well, defends well, is cheap and controlled for years down the road, you don’t get rid of these types of players unless your name is Peter C. Grzelcyk will be heading back to the baby Bs for more playing time instead of the limited guarded minutes he is getting in Bosten as soon as McQuaid returns. This is how good teams develope their players.

Reactions: BadBruins

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
A lot of carlo and Gryz bashing here.

Gryz on ice stats (small sample):
8 GF/ 2 GA
97.8% goalie save percentage when he is on the ice(even strength)
9.0 team shooting percentage when he is on the ice(even strength)

Carlo:
19 GF/ 17 GA
92.4 goalie save percentage when he is on the ice (even strength)
9.0 team shooting percentage when he is on the ice (even strength)

Krug:
16 GF/18 GA
87.8 goalie save percentage when he is on the ice (even strength)
10.0 team shooting percentage when he is on the ice (even strength)
Your forgot to mention their ice time which Krug gets more of then either Carlo or Grzelcyk, also Grzelcyk plays sheltered minutes compared to either Carlo or Krug. Both Carlo and Krug play against top lines nightly, not so much for Grzelcyk. I don’t hate Grzelcyk but he needs to build strength which he lacks at the moment and I really don’t think the Bruins need another 5’8” dman, but that’s just me.

Reactions: BadBruins

pkunit

Jun 18, 2010
Calgary
Postma has a Boychuck feel to him.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
will be interesting to see what they do when mcquaid gets back. can't carry 8 defensemen if you carry 14 forwards,
and they won't waive vatrano. suppose they could send bjork to the AHL for a while and go 13/8, but either way,
another shoe has to drop when mcquaid is activated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad