Dreger: Matt Duchene Mega-thread:Habs, NSH, NYI, OTT inquired - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
The thing is, if we assume the hold up is white, it means that's there has to be a bigger piece involved.

The idea behind the tweet says to me they have a framework and need White included.

I can't imagine a scenario where Joe Sakic has a framework that requires White, without AT LEAST Ceci included.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I don't believe this rumour for a second, but if the sticking point is White, I hope to heck Chabot's not included. It can't be Chabot and White unless it's part of a massive deal for Duchene and someone else. Or if it is, we're really mortgaging future for Duchenre, way too much of the future.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
The thing is, if we assume the hold up is white, it means that's there has to be a bigger piece involved.

The idea behind the tweet says to me they have a framework and need White included.

I can't imagine a scenario where Joe Sakic has a framework that requires White, without AT LEAST Ceci included.

Yeah, the wording of the initial tweet could mean he's the centerpiece, or the final piece. If it's the final piece, I hope for Ottawa's sake it's a massive trade that doesn't burn our future to the ground.

Adds some excitement to the Thursday evening, I guess. :laugh:

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
I don't believe this rumour for a second, but if the sticking point is White, I hope to heck Chabot's not included. It can't be Chabot and White unless it's part of a massive deal for Duchene and someone else. Or if it is, we're really mortgaging future for Duchenre, way too much of the future.

The avs are more than able to send back a pretty decent defense prospect in the deal.

Duchene - White
Chabot - bigras

Better center for sens, better LHD prospect for colorado

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Yeah, the wording of the initial tweet could mean he's the centerpiece, or the final piece. If it's the final piece, I hope for Ottawa's sake it's a massive trade that doesn't burn our future to the ground.

Adds some excitement to the Thursday evening, I guess. :laugh:

But that's the thing. He can't be the centrepiece. They'd never agree to the rest of the deal if White may not have been available in the first place. It's logical to me that it's the final piece.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Could be something like Ottawa is offering their 1st, Brown, and a couple other prospects (some combination of Dahlen, Chlapik, Jaros, Englund, Perron, Paul, Lazar, ect) and Colorado want's White instead of Brown.

I think that would be a similar offer to what the gave up for Ryan.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Could be something like Ottawa is offering their 1st, Brown, and a couple other prospects (some combination of Dahlen, Chlapik, Jaros, Englund, Perron, Paul, Lazar, ect) and Colorado want's White instead of Brown.

I think that would be a similar offer to what the gave up for Ryan.

Again, makes no sense.

Sakic has been adamant about defense. Fixing the defense. Getting a solid 20-24 defensive piece. It's illogical to me to think Sakic is taking a bunch of prospects, not have White or chabot or ceci on the table, and actually consider a deal.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Habs shutout at home by the Isles.
Duchene to Habs incoming.

Ideally, this sens rumour and tweet gets bergevin more nervous. Pretty sure he doesn't want Ottawa getting duchene either when he's actually available and one of the habs biggest needs in over a decade

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
The historic price for a 1st line player like Duchene has remained pretty consistent over the years. Varying only a little based on contract status, age, and a few other factors.

1. A lesser roster player.
2. A good prospect
3. A 1st or 2nd.

O'Reilly and McGinn returned: Mikhail Grigorenko (roster player), Nikita Zadorov (good prospect), J. T. Compher, and the 31st pick ( 1st/2nd). Which is very close to the standard return.

That version of a trade involving White would be something like: Lazar/Pageau/etc.. + White + 1st. I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Edit: I don't mind a 1st round pick being included, the draft apparently stinks, but if Ottawa has to trade Ceci, White + 1st for Duchene, I'd be expecting another piece coming back to Ottawa. That would be pretty steep, IMO.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
But that's the thing. He can't be the centrepiece. They'd never agree to the rest of the deal if White may not have been available in the first place. It's logical to me that it's the final piece.

Or he's the final piece in a massive trade. Like an 'all in' for Ottawa in terms of prospects and assets going for two or even three pieces from Colorado.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
The historic price for a 1st line player like Duchene has remained pretty consistent over the years. Varying only a little based on contract status, age, and a few other factors.

2. A good prospect
3. A 1st or 2nd.

O'Reilly and McGinn returned: Mikhail Grigorenko (roster player), Nikita Zadorov (good prospect), J. T. Compher, and the 31st pick ( 1st/2nd). Which is very close to the standard return.

That version of a trade involving White would be something like: Lazar + White + 1st. I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Put yourself in Sakics shoes. Now would you do that trade?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Again, makes no sense.

Sakic has been adamant about defense. Fixing the defense. Getting a solid 20-24 defensive piece. It's illogical to me to think Sakic is taking a bunch of prospects, not have White or chabot or ceci on the table, and actually consider a deal.

I guess, but it makes no sense for Ottawa to move Ceci going into the playoffs. They'd be creating a huge hole.

Chabot and White both being included seems to me like it would be a complete coup for Colorado if they pulled it off, I have a hard time believing the sens would do that.

Maybe the sticking point being white is referring to Ottawa pushing for White instead of Chabot? idk.

Tbh, I never really saw Duchene to Ottawa as a viable trade.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI

2. A good prospect
3. A 1st or 2nd.

That version of a trade involving White would be something like: Lazar/Pageau/etc.. + White + 1st. I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Edit: I don't mind a 1st round pick being included, the draft apparently stinks, but if Ottawa has to trade Ceci, White + 1st for Duchene, I'd be expecting another piece coming back to Ottawa. That would be pretty steep, IMO.

Really? If anything I'd expect another piece coming back to us.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Put yourself in Sakics shoes. Now would you do that trade?

If that was the best offer, would I take it or keep Duchene? I'd keep Duchene. If I decided I had to move Duchene and that was my best offer, I would end up taking it.

I ended up editing my post to better reflect the variation in caliber of player that would be available and prevent needless arguments. That said, if I could get White, a 1st rounder, and a decent roster player that is pretty standard for trades.

Edit: Duchene hasn't exactly been setting the world on fire.

Pacman33

#teamZ
Feb 9, 2017
Presumably he'd say yes as he argued that it's similar value to what Sakic accepted for a similar quality player in O'Reilly.

Also have to take into account that everybody knew oreilly wanted out of colorado and only had one year left of his deal. Duchene is more offensively gifted that oreilly as well. If he gets moved by the deadline than that team get 3 playoffs runs with duchene even if he were to leave in free agency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese