Dreger: Matt Duchene Mega-thread:Habs, NSH, NYI, OTT inquired - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
Hope he stays on the Avs. Seems premature to trade him. Mac and Duche is a great one two punch. Rest of the core is rotten.

The core is the only good part about the team with the exception of Barrie who is having a horrible year.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
The core is the only good part about the team with the exception of Barrie who is having a horrible year.

I mean offensively he's a little behind his usual pace, I think on pace for 43 points? So offensively it's a little worse than usual, but defensively he's not been great, but also being put in poor situations to succeed.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Ya, no.

I would give up one of Chabot or White, but not both.

Well I am not greedy. Don't think Duchene should get us Chabot AND White...

Chabot + 1st plus a non-White or Brown forward prospect (Chlapik? Dahlen?) is fine with me...

What I am really not fine with is if Chabot is off the table and the Avs won't even get White...

That would be a huge bummer. Even with White it is not something I would do personally. Especially if the other piece is Ceci...

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
That would make me think Ceci+White. Hope not. Want Chabot.

Edit: But then again, I wouldn't expect the Sens are offering Ceci plus a lesser piece and talks are continuing. Maybe Sakic really is after Chabot+White, and the Sens are offering some lesser prospect.

Last edited:

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Interesting times ahead for Avs fans.

As a Sens fan who went through this with Spezza, you really never know when the player will be traded. It could be tomorrow, or at the trade deadline or at the draft or in the summer.

It can get annoying at times wondering if he will ever be traded, but it will happen.

Avs44

May 16, 2011

As a Sens fan who went through this with Spezza, you really never know when the player will be traded. It could be tomorrow, or at the trade deadline or at the draft or in the summer.

It can get annoying at times wondering if he will ever be traded, but it will happen.

Don't worry, we had years of this with ROR. Spanned from his holdout and eventual offer-sheet to his trade two years later.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
As much as Duchene to Ottawa doesn't work, there is some cold logic behind the madness.

For one, Ottawa has a hard choice with expansion upcoming. Losing Methot for nothing would be pretty ******. Ottawa doesn't have a replacement waiting in wings outside of Chabot. Trading Ceci makes them "expansion proof" since they'll be able to keep Methot, but is also a huge risk to take given the standings.

The holdup so far has been Chabot. Value aside, Ottawa is too ****ed by expansion to consider moving their only potential top-4 guy. Their prospect pool on defense is mediocre at best.

All that being said, I don't think it will be Ceci, he's a RHD (which Col doesn't need) playing 20 minutes a night on a playoff team. If a GM trades a player like that to prevent being lost on expansion that is an all-time ballsy move.

On the other side, it makes sense that White might be available. White is a great prospect, but between Brown, Perron, White, Paul, Chlapik, Dahlen, etc. + draft, Ottawa is pretty deep at forward (especially center) among prospects. Further, Dahlen, Perron, Brown, Chlapik don't ahve the same "profile" as White so they won't have the same type of return.

To top things off, White being unsigned leaves things a bit open. If Dorion has an inkling he won't sign (which almost happened to Ottawa with Gleason) it would be a good use of assets to trade him before he's lost for nothing and hoping to find a replacement with some lesser known prospects.

If, indeed, Ottawa does acquire Duchene, it doesn't make a lot of sense to keep White anyway. Between Duchene, Turris, Brassard, and Pageau, there wouldn't be a lot of room for him if he isn't part of the trade.

Edit: One more wildcard is the potential that Ottawa includes a guy like Andreas Englund in a deal. He's a decent "B" prospect but you never know, Col might fall in love.

Last edited:

falconski

Unregistered User
Jan 21, 2008

went went through this with ROR, it's not that different (though we pretty much knew ROR would be traded if he weren't signed by 1 July, we don't have that knowledge with Ducheneskog)

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Don't worry, we had years of this with ROR. Spanned from his holdout and eventual offer-sheet to his trade two years later.

went went through this with ROR, it's not that different (though we pretty much knew ROR would be traded if he weren't signed by 1 July, we don't have that knowledge with Ducheneskog)

Oh yeah, forgot about ROR.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
That would make me think Ceci+White. Hope not. Want Chabot.

Edit: But then again, I wouldn't expect the Sens are offering Ceci plus a lesser piece and talks are continuing. Maybe Sakic really is after Chabot+White, and the Sens are offering some lesser prospect.

A lot of sens fans are down on Ceci, but I can't see the team moving him. Ottawa has no RD depth to replace him and would only be acquiring Duchene because they want to win now.

I also can't see Ottawa giving up both White and Chabot, but then again, I don't see any way this trade could go down with both teams (and their fans) being happy.

Sakic has little motivation to move Duchene now without over payment, so I don't blame him for asking for a lot, but I just don't see Ottawa mortgaging the future for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->