Mass Effect: Andromeda - Part 2 - Out Now!

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
EA period.

They killed Mirror's Edge. They killed Dead Space (or at minimum sucked the creativity from the series) and now they probably killed Mass Effect. And then you take into account the other stuff they botched like Battlefront and what used to be a good series in NHL.

Hope that company burns to the ground.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
EA period.

They killed Mirror's Edge. They killed Dead Space (or at minimum sucked the creativity from the series) and now they probably killed Mass Effect. And then you take into account the other stuff they botched like Battlefront and what used to be a good series in NHL.

Hope that company burns to the ground.

Are those franchises at least making more money?

If not, why can't EA just learn?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
If not, why can't EA just learn?

Publicly traded companies tend to not have enough time or willingness to learn. If they delayed Andromeda like they should have, somebody gets chewed out for letting a 'product' slip out of the 'fiscal year'. For the most part, the publicly traded publishers are completely blind when it comes to quality. They generally only care if sales are good and trending upward. Most of them solve perceived quality issues by throwing more and more people/resources at the 'problem' until it fixes itself. You end up with massively bloated studios trying to meet hard deadlines and it just doesn't work for games that require a ton of creativity. That's why there's so much emphasis on shooters/cookie cutter open world games nowadays. They're easy to manufacture.

Lost Horizons

Oct 14, 2006
Mass

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
Publicly traded companies tend to not have enough time or willingness to learn. If they delayed Andromeda like they should have, somebody gets chewed out for letting a 'product' slip out of the 'fiscal year'. For the most part, the publicly traded publishers are completely blind when it comes to quality. They generally only care if sales are good and trending upward. Most of them solve perceived quality issues by throwing more and more people/resources at the 'problem' until it fixes itself. You end up with massively bloated studios trying to meet hard deadlines and it just doesn't work for games that require a ton of creativity. That's why there's so much emphasis on shooters/cookie cutter open world games nowadays. They're easy to manufacture.

My suspicion is accordingly: tech companies don't give out dividends so investors are required to expect that the share price will go up. And that is done by making sure that projects come in on time. If you are a dividend-yielding stock, there is a greater chance that the company might be able to tide over investors worries with the cash flow. But that means having profits diverted away from internal investment and towards divestment.

Lost Horizons

Oct 14, 2006
Mass
Huh? Why is new less expensive than pre-owned?

It's a on sale. I don't think it's a permanent price drop. Then again who knows. Maybe EA told them to drop the price just to move units in the hope people would buy it for multiplayer and therefore spend money on points to boost their stats. Apparently EA made $1.68 billion last year on micro transactions and dlc so dropping the price to get people to play multiplayer is possible. They can write off the loss on the games and make money on the micro transactions.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
It's a on sale. I don't think it's a permanent price drop. Then again who knows. Maybe EA told them to drop the price just to move units in the hope people would buy it for multiplayer and therefore spend money on points to boost their stats. Apparently EA made $1.68 billion last year on micro transactions and dlc so dropping the price to get people to play multiplayer is possible. They can write off the loss on the games and make money on the micro transactions.

Yeah EA has already made money on MEA. I'd be absolutely floored if they haven't. Those that have existed to attack this game may not see, but the dedicated fanbase which I am a part of have enjoyed this game and continue to enjoy it.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
I bought this game in June for 30 €. I didn't buy it at launch due to the price tag and my terrible experience from ME3 ending. Frankly I was adamant to never buy another Bioware game after how they screwed up my ME1->ME2->ME3 transported save with that ending. I kept that hate for 5 years or so.

However I did buy Andromeda after all and on my new rig it looks stunning with everything on Ultra. It's definitely not on par with ME1 or ME2 dialogue-wise, but still a good game. Animations are not the best even now after improvements, but they are passable.

The YouTube hate brigade that wanted views went absolutely nuts with this game. It's not nearly as bad as portrayed. Glad I bought it myself to see. I finished with 95% complete, but can't be bothered to go around scanning planets to get to 100% - absolutely hate that part of the game.

I may even go back and start ME1->ME2->ME3 run again now that I feel better.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Will probably annoy a few people by saying this but...

Microsoft should have held on to ME and made it an exclusive. But Bioware wanted that money and sold out to EA.

The first Mass Effect is still my favorite. Yes, the gameplay is a bit wonkier than 2, 3 and A but the story, the music... everything else was perfection. Started going downhill where most games go downhill. They forget what got them to have that amazing game and just tack on more and more crap that isn't needed then they cut costs banking on the idea that the games reputation alone will sell it.

So goes another great franchise until 10 years from how it's revealed that it's getting a reboot and the crowd goes wild.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Having not yet played the game this seems like a game which is becoming underrated?

Like it cant be that terrible, can it?

Im going to buy it eventually

Lost Horizons

Oct 14, 2006
Mass
Having not yet played the game this seems like a game which is becoming underrated?

It's not terrible it just feels very unfinished. The patches that have come out since launch have made it a whole lot better then it was though. You could see the potential in it and the fact that it didn't live up to it or the series just makes it feel a bit disappointing.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

Writing has to be good for it to be underrated. There was a fan story or rumor that was cooler then the story andromeda had

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

It's a pretty painfully average/shallow open world RPG. Only a handful of interesting characters and missions, which is just about the most damning thing you can say about a BioWare game.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008

With some of the reviews out there, it'd almost have to be.

It's not terrible. Overall, there's a fair bit of good in there surrounded by a lot of mediocre. There are a lot of generic RPG checkboxes ticked off, but that can be a bit boring honestly. I think a lot of the bad reviews hinge on the huge letdown from an awesome trilogy to a mediocre space RPG, as well as some hilariously bad animations and glitches at launch.

The combat is fun. The story/characters are meh (which is shocking by BioWare standards). The technical side is pretty stable now, although you'll still get some interesting bugs.

I enjoyed my 50 hours in it, but it'll probably be the first BioWare game I don't replay...especially since they aren't adding any DLC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad