Mass Effect: Andromeda - Part 2 - Out Now!

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
If they remaster ME1 they need to remove or at least shorten the elevator rides!

On the Normandy yes, get rid of them.

The elevator rides elsewhere were great imo. Always had some hilarious dialogue or news reports about things you were doing and better than a loading screen.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I thought Saren was one of the best bad guys in any video game. They definitely were not able to match his acting / scripting / story in any other ME game. Right up there with Vaas (Farcry 3) and Ganon (Zelda) for my top 3 villains in games. Honorable mention to SKX in Condemned.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I thought Saren was one of the best bad guys in any video game. They definitely were not able to match his acting / scripting / story in any other ME game. Right up there with Vaas (Farcry 3) and Ganon (Zelda) for my top 3 villains in games. Honorable mention to SKX in Condemned.

Handsome Jack

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
I'm thinking about caving and just reading the plot for Andromeda, see if it goes down the same path as the first Mass Effect with acient evil returning blah blah.

They really blew it with the Reapers in the 3rd game, but no way could they live up to their introduction on Virmire, that was great stuff.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I'm thinking about caving and just reading the plot for Andromeda, see if it goes down the same path as the first Mass Effect with acient evil returning blah blah.

It doesn't, but you're not missing out on anything by reading the plot. It's pretty thin as is. Now that there likely won't be any other games in Andromeda, it's even worse.

Throwing out the established lore with the "hur dur its another galaxy" cop out was what killed Andromeda from the start. That and not bothering to bring half the established races with you. They could have at least made it feel more lively and like an actual expedition.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol

They really blew it with the Reapers in the 3rd game, but no way could they live up to their introduction on Virmire, that was great stuff.

It's about as far away from ancient evil as you can get. I didn't spoil it for myself but to be honest it won't take that much away if you know it. The biggest spoilers you could learn aren't something that is integral to the main story. Summarized in a few lines:

[spoil]You arrive in Andromeda, it's plagued by a dark energy disaster, spoiling all the projected habitable worlds. At the same time, the main enemies are a galactic empire who use bioengineering to assimilate conquered species. You fight against an expeditionary force commanded by a leader who may or may not be listening to his government anymore[/spoil]

Andromeda actually has a fascinating backstory which makes it quite sad they might not go back there.

I also don't agree that they blew it with the Reapers. Mass Effect 3 had the best plot/story of the three in my mind, and without a doubt the best gameplay.

None of the other games had a solitary face for the main antagonist however. In Mass Effect 2, it's the Collectors, and in Mass Effect 3 it's the Reapers. TIM is the secondary antagonist in 3.

Saren was a great villain, but only once you learn that he's not just some big evil, but someone who actually thinks he's doing good.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram

Yes Saren was great

But so was Sovereign. That first conversation you have with him when he appear in an hologram form blew my mind the first time.

Good stuff

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Weird thing Ive found: While im exploring planets, if I die at a random enemy outpost, all the bad guys are gone when I respawn.

Is this a known glitch or something particular to my game?

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
Yes Saren was great

But so was Sovereign. That first conversation you have with him when he appear in an hologram form blew my mind the first time.

Good stuff

The first ME may not be the biggest or best looking one, but it had the most epic moments and truly felt like an amazing experience.

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
Mass Effect Andromeda. Got it while it was on sale on PSN.

Looking past the awkward facial animations and eyes, it's not that bad in my opinion. Combat and skill tree wise, easily the best out of all the games so far. No contest. Story is okay, it's interesting but it's not like Mass Effect 3 or 2 level type of urgency where you just feel like you have to do it right away as a role play feeling.

I know people complained about the side characters, but I like them. Except for Cora and Liam, they are lame. Especially Cora. I just finished her loyalty mission, and skipped through most dialogue where she talked. Kept raving about her 'huntress' crap I couldn't stand it. I love Drack, Vetra, Jaal, and PB. Mostly Drack. Love Drack, Vetra, and PB's conversations on the Nomad though.

Honestly, the side missions are enjoyable. I don't do all, but when I run across some of them they are interesting. And really, it's understandable from a role-playing point of view as to why there are so many side missions that may also be similar in purpose. You're a pioneer, a pathfinder, of course there will be these repetitive type of missions. It's also understandable if it's annoying, but from a role playing point of view I also get it. Travelling on the Nomad is not a big deal for me, can be pretty fun if you jerk around a bit with the booster.

All in all, I actually like the game and don't mind the little quirks it has. I get why people would not like it though, it can be quite buggy, but meh. Definitely glad I bought it. To be fair, I am an RPG lover so I don't usually have too high bars set for RPG like games. Great experience so far.

Last edited:

Lost Horizons

Oct 14, 2006
Mass
Im 12 hours in and I havent encountered any really glaring bugs. Its not as stable as say Halo, but for an open world RPG its fine.

by this point they've pretty much fixed most bugs/complaints about MEA had 6 months ago. Back then the graphics and bugs were pretty bad. They are on record as saying they'll be no more patched for the game.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Mass Effect Andromeda. Got it while it was on sale on PSN.

Looking past the awkward facial animations and eyes, it's not that bad in my opinion. Combat and skill tree wise, easily the best out of all the games so far. No contest. Story is okay, it's interesting but it's not like Mass Effect 3 or 2 level type of urgency where you just feel like you have to do it right away as a role play feeling.

I know people complained about the side characters, but I like them. Except for Cora and Liam, they are lame. Especially Cora. I just finished her loyalty mission, and skipped through most dialogue where she talked. Kept raving about her 'huntress' crap I couldn't stand it. I love Drack, Vetra, Jaal, and PB. Mostly Drack. Love Drack, Vetra, and PB's conversations on the Nomad though.

Honestly, the side missions are enjoyable. I don't do all, but when I run across some of them they are interesting. And really, it's understandable from a role-playing point of view as to why there are so many side missions that may also be similar in purpose. You're a pioneer, a pathfinder, of course there will be these repetitive type of missions. It's also understandable if it's annoying, but from a role playing point of view I also get it. Travelling on the Nomad is not a big deal for me, can be pretty fun if you jerk around a bit with the booster.

All in all, I actually like the game and don't mind the little quirks it has. I get why people would not like it though, it can be quite buggy, but meh. Definitely glad I bought it. To be fair, I am an RPG lover so I don't usually have too high bars set for RPG like games. Great experience so far.

I agree. I picked it up on sale for 20$ cdn. I have to say my expectations were very low but I have enjoyed it. some of the quests are pretty annoying in go there, go here, go there and then come back to planet x to tell me your findings. But otherwise so far so good.

I usually roll with Cora for the shield boost and either Liam or Jael. I was rolling with Drack a bit but for some reason during random battles/skirmishes he would just stand there frozen at times. So he has taken a seat on the bench for now.

would easily give this game a 7/10

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
So I found an asari sword which teleports me through walls :laugh:

I dont know if its a glitch or not?

Locked doors? No problem!

:laugh:

yup have the same sword. it can be a nuisance though as well. I was fighting the architect on voeild, accidently hit the melee button and I teleported under one of the base platforms, got stuck and died due to the cold :laugh:

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
I agree. I picked it up on sale for 20$ cdn. I have to say my expectations were very low but I have enjoyed it. some of the quests are pretty annoying in go there, go here, go there and then come back to planet x to tell me your findings. But otherwise so far so good.

I usually roll with Cora for the shield boost and either Liam or Jael. I was rolling with Drack a bit but for some reason during random battles/skirmishes he would just stand there frozen at times. So he has taken a seat on the bench for now.

would easily give this game a 7/10

I have had that too! But the conversations, his opinion on everything and hearing his psychotic screams is too funny to let go.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Is there any way to see what I currently have in inventory when im in the research/development menus?

Its really frustrating to not know if what im R/Ding is better then what I already have. Armour is my main complaint here. I can never remember what level of armour im wearing.

Last edited:

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Handsome Jack
Yeah he wasn't bad.

Yes Saren was great

Good stuff
That's a good point. I remember seeing that for the first time and WTF'ing all over the place. Haha. Game was so good when the writing was so good.

The first ME may not be the biggest or best looking one, but it had the most epic moments and truly felt like an amazing experience.
Exactly why I think it was the best one. Maybe 2, 3 or 4 would never be as epic to me because I already knew the characters and story but there was just something about the first one that made it so much more genuine to me. That something being writing, story, atmosphere, music... etc.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Is there any way to see what I currently have in inventory when im in the research/development menus?

Its really frustrating to not know if what im R/Ding is better then what I already have. Armour is my main complaint here. I can never remember what level of armour im wearing.

Just press the menu button and go to your inventory to see what weapons and armour you have before entering the r/d computer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad