Player Discussion: Mason Appleton

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
he got sent to the 4th line to play wing many times, playing centre has nothing to do with it. if the 4th line needs a winger from the 3rd line they always put copp down instead of tanev. every time.because Maurice would rather cut copps time in half instead of tanevs.

I don't think that's true, but I don't know where to go to prove it. You should also consider that there were times where Copp was moved UP lines too. I'm pretty sure he spent time on the wing with Scheifele at one point last year.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Tanev is entertaining...kind of in the same way watching squirrels chase each other around is entertaining.

Yup. To give credit where it is due though, he is also effective, within his limitations.

I'm thinking that he will be happy to stay with the Jets rather than exploring UFA. He is not going to get any big $$$ offers. He will probably want more than 1 year next time though and that may be where Jets draw the line. I don't think he is a player you want to commit to long term.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Yup. To give credit where it is due though, he is also effective, within his limitations.

I'm thinking that he will be happy to stay with the Jets rather than exploring UFA. He is not going to get any big $$$ offers. He will probably want more than 1 year next time though and that may be where Jets draw the line. I don't think he is a player you want to commit to long term.
Tho it's like committing long term at what AAv? 1 mil a year over 3 years yes. 1.75 at 2 mil no. I mean, maybe he takes a pay cut to a million in exchange for a little job security.

Last edited:

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I really like Apples and Roslo together and figure they can be on the same line long term. If Perreault is gone after this year, I would like to see the fourth line be Petan/Vesalainen - Roslo - Apples

Reactions: wasup and GNP

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Tho it's like committing long term at what AAv? 1 mil a year over 3 years yes. 1.75 at 2 mil no. I mean, maybe he takes a pay cut to a million in exchange for a little job security.

I'm guessing somewhere near 1.5mil. Maybe a little less. 2 years at that is probably good but I have a feeling that Chevy may not want to go beyond 1 year to any player at that level. Just about maintaining flexibility. OTOH, he seems to try to be as fair as possible in a cutthroat world. So maybe he goes 2 years.

Reactions: probablywrongbut

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I'm guessing somewhere near 1.5mil. Maybe a little less. 2 years at that is probably good but I have a feeling that Chevy may not want to go beyond 1 year to any player at that level. Just about maintaining flexibility. OTOH, he seems to try to be as fair as possible in a cutthroat world. So maybe he goes 2 years.
And that sounds reasonable. I'm just saying if a player at Tanev's level wants to trade a lower AAV for job security as Chevy I'd go for it.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Did I mistakenly enter the Tanev / Copp thread? :laugh:

:laugh: Apparently. Sorry.

Its only 2 games but Apples looks like an instant fit on the Roslovic line. That could be because he is a good fit and a good player. It could also be influenced by Rosie taking a step forward. Chicken or egg?

Whatever the root cause, that line has looked better the last 2 games. I would like to see Petan on the other wing with those 2. I wish it was Petan in for Copp on the 4th line with MP moving up to replace Copp.

Maybe if Lemieux keeps getting chances he will eventually do something positive. Something, anything.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Please take the Tanev talk to another thread.

Thanks!
As Garret explained it on the Ves thread we are discussing Copp/Tanev in relation to where Appleton will line-up in regards to players blocking his path to being in the line-up.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
As Garret explained it on the Ves thread we are discussing Copp/Tanev in relation to where Appleton will line-up in regards to players blocking his path to being in the line-up.
Except there's little discussion of Appleton happening over the last page. It's always fine to discuss other players, but if you're in a specific player's thread, he should be led into the conversation, at least tangentially.

Posts that only discuss Tanev or Copp will get moved or deleted.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
:laugh: Apparently. Sorry.

Its only 2 games but Apples looks like an instant fit on the Roslovic line. That could be because he is a good fit and a good player. It could also be influenced by Rosie taking a step forward. Chicken or egg?

Whatever the root cause, that line has looked better the last 2 games. I would like to see Petan on the other wing with those 2. I wish it was Petan in for Copp on the 4th line with MP moving up to replace Copp.

Maybe if Lemieux keeps getting chances he will eventually do something positive. Something, anything.

I think part of the reason Appleton and Roslovic look so good together is because they have chemistry playing together with the Moose last year. I believe Petan also played with them at points last year in the AHL and I would also like to see an Appleton-Roslovic-Petan line. I think that’s our fourth line next year.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I think part of the reason Appleton and Roslovic look so good together is because they have chemistry playing together with the Moose last year. I believe Petan also played with them at points last year in the AHL and I would also like to see an Appleton-Roslovic-Petan line. I think that’s our fourth line next year.
I hope not. I hope Roslo is ready for something a little higher than the 4th line. Hopefully Apple and Petan are good together as a result of the shared history you mention.

Reactions: snowkiddin

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I hope not. I hope Roslo is ready for something a little higher than the 4th line. Hopefully Apple and Petan are good together as a result of the shared history you mention.

I hope Roslo takes over for Little on the second line but I’m not sure if that happens next year or not - unless Roslo takes a big step sometime this year. Maybe playing with Apples helps that because that fourth line has been great together so far.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I hope Roslo takes over for Little on the second line but I’m not sure if that happens next year or not - unless Roslo takes a big step a sometime this year. Maybe playing with Apples helps that because that fourth line has been great together so far.
So playing with Apple and Petan may earn him more time and help with his level of experience and confidence.

Reactions: snowkiddin

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
So Appleton’s production really came out of nowhere? 6th round pick, I know he was pretty solid in college but I didn’t expect him to be as good as he is.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
So Appleton’s production really came out of nowhere? 6th round pick, I know he was pretty solid in college but I didn’t expect him to be as good as he is.
I don't think it came out of no where . Tri City Storm USHL traded for a tender pick from Bloomington Thunder who was an expansion club that year . They also had the third overall pick in the phase 2 draft that year . They decided to use the tender pick on Wade Allison and took Mason Appleton third overall in the phase 2 draft . Appleton use to be a smaller player who grew later but always had great skating ability and good compete. Great kid great family , very happy for him . His only downfall is he is probably a Packers fan having growen up 30 mins away from there .

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
He's popping up in a few threads now.
3G and 7A in 31 games

Really impressing me. What's the consensus? Riding PDO or is he a late round diamond?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad