Proposal: Martin Necas for Penguins 2024 1st and Marcus Pettersson at the draft

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
My comp for this trade is Alex Debrincat for the 7th overall pick a few years back. I think Necas is in that same caliber of player, and from what has been reported the Penguins want young roster players rather than picks.

Pittsburgh should be picking in the 7-10 range is my guess. This would then defer our 2025 first next year to SJ. Yes that is risky, but if the Pens add Necas and do some retooling this offseason I really like our chances of not finishing worse than this year, and not being in a position to draft a player that is better than Necas.

Marcus Pettersson is in the trade because if Skjei leaves then they could use a solid, inexpensive veteran LHD. He’s got one year left on his deal after this season and very unlikely to extend, so Pitt clears his cap to help afford the Necas extension.

Thoughts?

Sensators

Sep 15, 2009
Debrincat was MUCH farther up the nhl leadeerboard in points per ssn when he was traded than necas has ever been

Reactions: HuGo Sham

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Debrincat was MUCH farther up the nhl leadeerboard in points per ssn when he was traded than necas has ever been
Necas is having a great season, and certainly passes the eye test. I would pay that pick for him.

Debrincats numbers also pumped up from Kane

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Your musings are not the same as “very unlikely to not re-sign”

Either way a top 10 pick and Pettersson for Necas is absurd.
I’m stating obvious reasons why a player in his shoes would not sign. You are speculating that he would without providing any logical reasons.

Also, the 10th pick plus a guy that would probably fetch a 2nd on his own for a young, proven player that just got 70+ points last season is absurd? OK lol

Take a look at players drafted 7-10 in last decade and see how many became better players than Necas

Ogelthorpe

Who do you play for?
Jul 21, 2010
1710379806491.gif

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
This current core only has a couple more kicks at the can, and drafting a player with that pick won’t really help them get any closer to a cup (unless they end up picking top 3).

Targeting a young player like Necas is the right move. He can contribute to the current lineup and will be there once the core rides off into the sunset.

Reactions: Toby Flenderson

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Leave Pettersson out. I would see what offers I could get for that pick around the draft, assuming it is too 10. It is not unreasonable to trade a lower top ten pick for a good young player, preferably a center.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Canes have 0 need for MP, and we're not rebuilding so why would we trade Necas for a magic bean? IF Canes decided to move on from Necas it's probably a hockey trade for some other similar-aged roster player of a different type

Reactions: DaveG

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Would you trade Pettersson and a top 10 1st for Bryan Rust? Because that is Bryan Rust pace.

I'd do Petts for Necas straight up. No picks.

• Haha
Reactions: WreckingCrew

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad