Proposal: Martin Necas for Penguins 2024 1st and Marcus Pettersson at the draft

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
The Canes don't want to sign or go to arbitration with Necas?

Maybe put all the Necas trade props in one thread. There seem to be a few.

If the Canes don't think they can sign him at a good price point, why would the Pens or the Habs be able to do that?

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON

If the Canes don't think they can sign him at a good price point, why would the Pens or the Habs be able to do that?
Exactly. Canes want to sign him and I’m sure Necas wants to stay in Carolina. He is an RFA still so doesn’t hold all the cards here. Seems unlikely that the number he would want from Carolina is so high that they would say no but another team says yes and would be willing to give up the package to get him.

Could be wrong as Canes often lowball but if the number is under $7AAV then it’s in the realm of reasonable and they should be able to sign him. If he wants like $7.5AAV or more then what team out there is willing to do that and give up pieces?

Still need a team to agree to it first.

Reactions: DaveG

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
This is such a dumb post. Drafting two superstars doesn’t mean there wasn’t a rebuild. You just be moving the goalposts.
I think people forget what dark times pre-84 and 2002-2005 really were for the Penguins. The SJS of today would have laid waste to any Pens team 2002-2005. Oh of any and all team, the Penguins at all those points earned those draft picks.

That said, there is a bit of lucky surrounding it. You could get 3 1st OV picks and get MAF, Ovie, and Sid. Or you could get Hall, RNH, Yakupov. Becoming a legendary franchise means sucking at the right time.

Reactions: DaveG

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017

His name was out there during the TDL because he was offered up for Petterson and was previously in the Matt Tkachuk bid. They aren't trying to move him just to move him; there's no official roadblock with negotiations.

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
My comp for this trade is Alex Debrincat for the 7th overall pick a few years back. I think Necas is in that same caliber of player, and from what has been reported the Penguins want young roster players rather than picks.

Pittsburgh should be picking in the 7-10 range is my guess. This would then defer our 2025 first next year to SJ. Yes that is risky, but if the Pens add Necas and do some retooling this offseason I really like our chances of not finishing worse than this year, and not being in a position to draft a player that is better than Necas.

Marcus Pettersson is in the trade because if Skjei leaves then they could use a solid, inexpensive veteran LHD. He’s got one year left on his deal after this season and very unlikely to extend, so Pitt clears his cap to help afford the Necas extension.

Thoughts?
I'm waiting for the Thomas Chabot for Karlsson trade this summer.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I’m stating obvious reasons why a player in his shoes would not sign. You are speculating that he would without providing any logical reasons.

Also, the 10th pick plus a guy that would probably fetch a 2nd on his own for a young, proven player that just got 70+ points last season is absurd? OK lol

Take a look at players drafted 7-10 in last decade and see how many became better players than Necas
Bad take after bad take here

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Bad take after bad take here
Necas having a 70 point season followed by another good season and me wanting to trade for him is a bad take? Hahaha

You also can easily google the players picked around 10 overall and see that the majority of them have no panned out into players anywhere near Necas. That is not a bad take, that is a fact. Google is your friend, use it.

Sick contribution to the thread. All credibility gone in heart beat

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Necas having a 70 point season followed by another good season and me wanting to trade for him is a bad take? Hahaha

You also can easily google the players picked around 10 overall and see that the majority of them have no panned out into players anywhere near Necas. That is not a bad take, that is a fact. Google is your friend, use it.

Ok, I should have been more specific.

Your takes on Pettersson's value in a trade, his value to the Pens, and the caliber of player he is are all bad. You have no clue about whether he will leave as an FA or not but you present it as a given and you don't really even know the relevant factors that he would be considering(because, as mentioned, you don't know what he is like as a player).

Necas is great. The proposal and your defence of it are not.

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC

This is HFBoards where magic draft beans are valued higher than actual prospects and NHL players for some reason.

Get out of this thread with your logic.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Carolina can’t keep everyone. That is true.

Necas is playing his way back into core player status. A few months ago, it looked like it was going to be time. Since coming back from injury in the middle of January, he’s been the best forward on the team. 21 points in 24 games with 2nd unit PP time and being asked to elevate Drury and Bunting for the bulk of it. GA way down as well.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I think teuravinen is the cap casualty. Might also use assets to dump KK inorder to keep guentzel (if hes good). Jarvis is a RFA, controllable.
No need to use assets to dump Kotkaniemi.

If they buy Kotkaniemi out the cap hit is $835K, so they get back roughly $4M in cap space annually without giving up assets.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I think teuravinen is the cap casualty. Might also use assets to dump KK inorder to keep guentzel (if hes good). Jarvis is a RFA, controllable.
Agree on Turbo. Hes either re-signed for less money or they part ways.

It Canes have to move off of Kotkaniemi they can do a buyout and it’s less than $1 per year so I doubt they package any significant assets with him to move the contract. If he’s not going to become a 2C (which seems less likely as this season goes on) he can still become the Staal replacement for 3C so there’s still that.

No need to use assets to dump Kotkaniemi.

If they buy Kotkaniemi out the cap hit is $835K, so they get back roughly $4M in cap space annually without giving up assets.

This.

Reactions: Tryamw

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Upon additional thought, if the Penguins were able to pull of something like Karlsson for Chabot, I would do Pettersson for Necas straight up. No picks added on any side.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad