Proposal: Martin Necas for Penguins 2024 1st and Marcus Pettersson at the draft

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
Why are the Pens trading from a position, Top4 D, where they are light (MP, Letang, EK65) to a team that is overflowing with Top4 D?

Reactions: DaveG

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
If the Canes can’t sign Necas it’s a good offer. Only maybe issue is that there’s only one year left for MP. The Canes have no defenseman signed past next season so it wouldn’t surprise me if they’re looking for someone beyond that. They’d still probably do this though. If we have to sell Necas we won’t find a great replacement player in the deal and are better off getting the piece we can even if it’s a pick. We can flip it for what whatever we think we need.

Last edited:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
My comp for this trade is Alex Debrincat for the 7th overall pick a few years back. I think Necas is in that same caliber of player, and from what has been reported the Penguins want young roster players rather than picks.

Pittsburgh should be picking in the 7-10 range is my guess. This would then defer our 2025 first next year to SJ. Yes that is risky, but if the Pens add Necas and do some retooling this offseason I really like our chances of not finishing worse than this year, and not being in a position to draft a player that is better than Necas.

Marcus Pettersson is in the trade because if Skjei leaves then they could use a solid, inexpensive veteran LHD. He’s got one year left on his deal after this season and very unlikely to extend, so Pitt clears his cap to help afford the Necas extension.

Thoughts?
Pittsburgh would probably do it as they likely will make one more stab at it with Crosby.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I'm not sure I even do it 1:1, let alone adding a 1st.

I might have to see what a guy like Skjei or Pesce want in FA before I decide. But yeah, Petts+1st for Necas? 100% no. Straight up, maybe.

Reactions: Le Magnifique 66

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
I say this as a fan who would own PIT's unprotected 2025 1st if this happened...does Martin Necas really get you into the playoffs next year? Making this trade Penguins would have around 16M in cap space this summer. Necas would take a good amount of that, and then they have to a) replace Petterson and b) fix the depth.

And all of that is before you consider any other team in the division improving. Maybe WSH and PHI regress next year, but even then you're gonna be in a race with CAR, NYR, NJD, and NYI, plus other Atlantic teams for a wildcard.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Depending on Necas ask I'd do Petterson for Necas straight up. If that doesn't work I'd rather keep Petterson. I am unsure why we would be adding a 1st round pick.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
MP getting crazy underrated on this thread. I say that as maybe his biggest hater 3-4 years ago. Worth a 1st plus (maybe slightly less due to contract status). Pens should probably extend him unless they fully commit to a rebuild and he can fetch another Guentzel-like return. Even if they fully commit to a rebuild it could make sense to extend him as he’s the type of player that could insulate a young RD and his contract shouldn’t be huge (maybe $6M AAV?).

Top 10 pick for an RFA winger you have to pay in Necas feels expensive but is in the universe of fair.

Both MP and the pick is overkill though. Doesn’t help the Penguins.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
MP + 1st might be too high but MP straight up based on contract situation just isn't enough to get Necas.

Agree with @bleedgreen that if we need to sell on Necas then Canes look for a defenseman that has more term.

Not saying this player would be available (and not saying it would be a 1 for 1 deal) but I think someone like Artem Zub would be the type of player/team/contract situation is someone we would target.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
The Pens need a massive overhaul, but this move would be cutting off their nose to spite their face. Necas isn't worth that much.

Maybe Pittsburgh's nose and face suck though. Like did you ever think that perhaps they have gone from being a real smokeshow with a lot of promise to an old and weathered, decrepit individual. No prospects or companionship to speak of and because they didn't work on themselves emotionally and spiritually they lack a true self identity or even a likeable personality that others want to be around. Destined to live out the rest of their days sad, angry and alone.

No, I bet you didn't think about that at all. You just blame all your problems on other people. Nothing is ever your fault, is it J̶e̶s̶s̶i̶c̶a̶... I mean... Pittsburgh.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Maybe Pittsburgh's nose and face suck though. Like did you ever think that perhaps they have gone from being a real smokeshow with a lot of promise to an old and weathered, decrepit individual. No prospects or companionship to speak of and because they didn't work on themselves emotionally and spiritually they lack a true self identity or even a likeable personality that others want to be around. Destined to live out the rest of their days sad, angry and alone.

No, I bet you didn't think about that at all. You just blame all your problems on other people. Nothing is ever your fault, is it J̶e̶s̶s̶i̶c̶a̶... I mean... Pittsburgh.

Uh...okay...:huh:

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
Incorrect. The Penguins traded a conditional pick to the sharks. We can decide to keep the 2024 1st and give them a 2025 1st, or vice versa
Can you kindly provide a source for this? Capfriendly says that it is 2024, top ten protected. So does Sportsnet.

San Jose Sharks Acquire:​

Logo of the San Jose Sharks

From MTL:
Mike Hoffman
From PIT:
Mikael Granlund
Jan Rutta
2024 1st round pick (PIT) [Conditional]*
*Conditions: Top 10 protected

Edit: Sorry, my bad. I had checked the 2024 draft choice, which made no mention of the option to switch. When I checked the 2025 draft choice, it showed the option.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Can you kindly provide a source for this? Capfriendly says that it is 2024, top ten protected. So does Sportsnet.

San Jose Sharks Acquire:​

Logo of the San Jose Sharks

From MTL:
Mike Hoffman
From PIT:
Mikael Granlund
Jan Rutta
2024 1st round pick (PIT) [Conditional]*
*Conditions: Top 10 protected

Edit: Sorry, my bad. I had checked the 2024 draft choice, which made no mention of the option to switch. When I checked the 2025 draft choice, it showed the option.
Dude it says right there in your bolded quote haha “Conditional”. So if it is top 10 and we want to keep it, it becomes a 2025 1st going to SJ. If not, then SJ just takes this year

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Dude it says right there in your bolded quote haha “Conditional”. So if it is top 10 and we want to keep it, it becomes a 2025 1st going to SJ. If not, then SJ just takes this year
Even then, I don't think you can trade a conditional pick until the condition has been sorted out

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
My comp for this trade is Alex Debrincat for the 7th overall pick a few years back. I think Necas is in that same caliber of player, and from what has been reported the Penguins want young roster players rather than picks.

Pittsburgh should be picking in the 7-10 range is my guess. This would then defer our 2025 first next year to SJ. Yes that is risky, but if the Pens add Necas and do some retooling this offseason I really like our chances of not finishing worse than this year, and not being in a position to draft a player that is better than Necas.

Marcus Pettersson is in the trade because if Skjei leaves then they could use a solid, inexpensive veteran LHD. He’s got one year left on his deal after this season and very unlikely to extend, so Pitt clears his cap to help afford the Necas extension.

Thoughts?
fIwYOoK4V9Aha.webp

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille