Marlies/Prospect Thread 13-14 V 1.0 - Gauthier signs ATO/Johnson RotY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyle Doobas*

I don't think Ashton, D'Amigo or Holland are going to get any better playing in the AHL at this point. They need to be up in our bottom six next season.

I'd definitely like to see TJ Brennan at least get a shot. He's been really good all season with the Marlies, and done everything the coaches have asked of him.

Granberg, maybe, but I imagine he'll have to wait for an injury to get his shot.

Leivo isn't there yet IMO, but he's developing well so far.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
The Detroit approach should be taken with Freddy.

He has as much potential in his skillset as anyone, given the short time he's been focused solely on hockey, his size, and his abilities.

We should take the Detroit approach with almost all prospects, except the supremely talented ones (Rielly for example).

Stick to that patient approach (which Burke/Nonis have largely done, unlike Fletcher and JFJ), and it ends up so you don't really have to wait, because you'll have a constant influx of young talent anyways.

Over the next 1-2 years, we should see Holland, Granberg, Ryan, Percy, Ashton, and D'Amigo taking spots on the Leafs roster.

2-3 years from now Leivo, Finn, Brown, Biggs, etc can start taking on roles. And then 3-4 years from now Gauthier, Verhaeghe, etc.

Obviously not everyone will make the NHL. But if we slowly develop everyone, get them several years of AHL experience, and then bring them in when they're ~21-23 instead of 18-20, we should start getting more our of our farm system.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The Leafs need to have a coach who will be more willing to rotate in guys from the AHL on a regular basis, keep the energy level up on the big team and the farm team guys hungry and not hopeless. Everyone gets their feet wet and can prepare themselves individually to grow into an NHL role.

Dangles McGavin

RIP Lounge
Jul 7, 2010
Seattle/Waterloo
They need to bring Percy up or trade him, he is just wasting away in the A.

Amazing. :laugh:

The Leafs need to have a coach who will be more willing to rotate in guys from the AHL on a regular basis, keep the energy level up on the big team and the farm team guys hungry and not hopeless. Everyone gets their feet wet and can prepare themselves individually to grow into an NHL role.

Couldn’t agree more. Early in the season when we had Leivo, Broll, Ashton, D’Amigo playing games, we were winning. A lot. Not that most of those guys are ready to stick, but it’s good to give the kids a taste of the NHL. It allows them to see where they’re at, and keep them hungry. It also, like you said, brings a certain level of energy.

Leivo could definitely be on the team next year but I’d prefer him to get another year in the AHL. He’s developing very nicely. Give him some games here and there though. Same goes for Percy- I don’t think he’s that far off but there’s no reason to rush him. Granberg I don’t know enough about to comment. Brennan’s obviously got a hell of a shot, and he rushes the puck quite well (in the AHL). Haven’t watched him enough to comment on his defense, though I’ve heard it’s pretty horrible.

Abbott could get some games next year too. He stepped up BIG this year.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
To kind of build off Stephen's post...

If Carlisle is coach - nobody. At least it sure seems that way....

I think Leivo is maybe one more year in the A from being a Leaf regular - like his game.

Granberg was touted as NHL ready going into this season was he not??? I think he will push for a spot depending on if anyone gets moved.

Holland should be in the NHL next year - but the Leafs have a logjam at C.

D'Amigo is surprisingly looking like he's ready, and I think Broll is too (for a regular up/down player)

Ashton - tough one here - he can skate, has size, but can't score at the NHL level (let's not even talk about fighting...)

MacWilliam - I like what he brings (and the Leafs could use his nastiness), but..... again, a glut of Dmen are in his way.

To those who are trumpeting Brennan - Look at his numbers - most of his point are PP points. Defensively he is terrible. Basically a slapshot on skates.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I don't really like our forward prospects all that much. I want us to keep the Bozak line and build a second and third line around two-way players with size and physicality to make us more dynamic and relieve some pressure on the defense. With that in mind, I see limited use of our forwards.

Holland, D'Amigo and Granberg are the ones I can see having some impact as Leafs players next season.

Leivo - I like Leivo, but I'd like to build our second and third lines around a different type of player. I can see him getting minutes as a depth forward and injury call up in that case.
Ashton - Ashton to me has a future as a fourth liner on this team, I'm not very high on him. Might take a spot next year in that role.
D'Amigo - I'd prefer a player with more size, but I'd be fine with D'Amigo taking a spot on the second or third line next season. He's got the hustle and two-way ability to be effective on a two-way cycling line.
Holland - Holland needs a spot next season. With the right type of line I think he could be a good asset for us.
Granberg - Bottom pairing alternative, will alternate with Ranger depending on form.
Percy - Might get his feet wet.
McKegg - I don't think McKegg seems many minutes unless we get several centers injured.
Broll - Don't think so. Don't see much use of him.
Brennan - In my opinion basically a smaller Franson. I'd rather not see him in the big team.
Macwilliam - Could become an alternative in case of injuries.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Ashton, D'Amigo, Holland, Granberg and Holzer have strong chances to make it.

Leivo needs to go back to the Marlies to get the minutes and just to progress through. The only way he makes the Leafs is if he's completely on fire and plays out of his mind, but that's unlikely.

I see Percy going back to Marlies simply to get top minutes. Very likely to be the top callup though. Nothing wrong with being sent back to the Marlies to lead the defensive core as a 21 year old. There's plenty of depth for us to take our time for him to come up. Granberg has a ton of pro experience all ready that he should be able to handle bigger assignments.

I know people have soured on Holzer due to last season, but he's a solid option for the #7 roll. He provides grit and is very efficient as defender... just don't put him on the top pairing with Phaneuf, just don't.

MacWilliam should be a darkhorse though. I think it'll be between him and Holzer for the 'rough' bottom pairing guy. I'd like to see MacWilliam start with the Marlies and to get top minutes and to keep developing.

Last edited:

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Granberg for sure, hoping he replaces Franson and gives us more mobile smart defence.

D'amigo I like and makes some great plays and knows how to cycle, solid bottom 6 guy, Leivo and Ashton have solid potential too.

Percy as top callup as someone said above.

No interest in Brennan, people focus too much on offense, he's not good at defence at the NHL level.

Durkin67

Some pretty decent players on the Marlies, I'd recommend those in Toronto to catch a few games if you can, very fun team to watch.
Stole this from another site :)

So who do you think are players that will or can make the jump up next year. Now obviously, it can be argued that they 'all have a shot', however I'm talking about the most realistic here ;)

For me:
Leivo
Ashton
D'Amigo
Holland
Granberg

Outside Shot:
Percy
McKegg
Broll
Brennan (if still here)
Macwilliam

Bodie can stay!
Send Orr down

Its all down to what off season shakeups go down, IMO. Lupul, Kadri, Franson and Reimer are done.

I think Drew Mac is your uncontested backup next season. It's all down to what holes need to be filled next year but I can see Broll getting a look (if Biggs still isnt where they think he can be) and I can see Ashton and Holland getting the nod. Leivo before the end of the 2015 season as well

Hotlanta

Dec 1, 2009
To kind of build off Stephen's post...

If Carlisle is coach - nobody. At least it sure seems that way....

I think Leivo is maybe one more year in the A from being a Leaf regular - like his game.

Granberg was touted as NHL ready going into this season was he not??? I think he will push for a spot depending on if anyone gets moved.

Holland should be in the NHL next year - but the Leafs have a logjam at C.

D'Amigo is surprisingly looking like he's ready, and I think Broll is too (for a regular up/down player)

Ashton - tough one here - he can skate, has size, but can't score at the NHL level (let's not even talk about fighting...)

MacWilliam - I like what he brings (and the Leafs could use his nastiness), but..... again, a glut of Dmen are in his way.

To those who are trumpeting Brennan - Look at his numbers - most of his point are PP points. Defensively he is terrible. Basically a slapshot on skates.

Leivo needs an extra year or two in the A. He has increased his weight by 10 lbs since the beginning of the last offseason but I would like him to spend the offseason putting on another 5 or so. Then he can come into the AHL next year and really use his big frame. He is also a very smart player so letting him work on his defensive game would be another good move by this organization. His biggest knocks when he was drafted were he wasn't comfortable shooting and he was undersized for his frame. Both are none issues now. I would like to see him put up a PPG in the AHL next season and be the Marlies go to guy. He will also be our best injury call up.

Holland & D'amigo make this team next year. After a long playoff run they should have nothing left to learn in the AHL.

Ashton can make it as a 4th liner no problem in the NHL. The issue is, he needs another AHL year to develop his offensive game if we want him to move up in the lineup and we will most definitely lose him to waivers if he doesn't make the team.

If Granberg makes the team as our #7 or better, MacWilliam will be the first call up.

Brennan is hopefully gone to make room for our prospects to run the PP. I like the guy but the Marlies are meant for development and he is not going to get any better at skating or defense. I think Percy, Finn, Holzer and Knodel will be our PP go to guys next season.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Granberg definitely has a good shot being a solid defensive RHD, he would play bottom pair though.

Percy and Finn arent ready yet, Brennan wont make it.

D'amigo and Ashton could fill spots in the bottom 6 if theres a top 6 spot it will be fought over between Holland, Leivo and Abbott.

Leafsrule14*

Id like to see AHLers be our bottom 6 wingers like this:

Holland-Bolland-D'Amigo
Ashton-McClement-Bodie

We need to utilize our bottom 6 more. We hardly use the 4th line, if we could role out 4 lines (which we could) and have constant energy that would help tremendously.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
it looks to me like D'Amigo Ashton and Holland all have to clear waivers next year in order to be sent to the minors so it's a pretty big make or break year. also to the OP you have 5 rookie's I highly doubt we go with a quarter of the skaters as rookie's. I do believe Ashton and D'Amigo should be on our 4th line next year but I don't think Holland is good enough in a bottom 6 role and will be on waivers next year.

mikebel111*

haha just having fun. I wanted this guy for six months and was very happy when we drafted him.

I know u were:laugh:
I got an alert on my phone saying who we drafted. When it said him, i was like "really good pick"

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Shinkaruk was the sexy pick at the time, the guy who fell from some expectations .. When they announced Gauthier I was content though, very solid pickup .. Especially the reaction Bergevin gave from the Montreal table :laugh: he was pissed

ShameOnYouZidlicky

Jun 4, 2010
Holland - 3/4th C
D'amigo - Bottom 6 winger
Ashton - 4th line/scratch
Granberg - 6/7 D

Percy, MacWilliam, Leivo, Broll, Devane, McKegg are all call-ups

mikebel111*

Leafs would do well to sign Staios and move him up the chain of command, would hate to lose him to Burkie and the Flames. I've been impressed with him and has a future, Hopefully with us.

See. This is a great post. Keep ur posts exactly like this. And there would be less bickering
Yeah staios has been really good. A keeper for sure

mikebel111*

I was very meh, and still am. I would've been meh with anyone besides Mantha or Morrissey, though. Those were my guys.

Mantha i will agree with i guess

While i am a fan of josh, but did we really need a player like him?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Some pretty decent players on the Marlies, I'd recommend those in Toronto to catch a few games if you can, very fun team to watch.
Stole this from another site :)

So who do you think are players that will or can make the jump up next year. Now obviously, it can be argued that they 'all have a shot', however I'm talking about the most realistic here ;)

For me:
Leivo
Ashton
D'Amigo
Holland
Granberg

Outside Shot:
Percy
McKegg
Broll
Brennan (if still here)
Macwilliam

Bodie can stay!
Send Orr down

I think they should outsource Player Development to the Devellano & Holland Finishing School.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Forwards
Ashton - For sure, Replacing either Kulemin or Raymond

Holland - Depends on Bolland(if he's back) how much opportunity he'll get. But he's too good for the AHL now

D'Amigo - Should be a useful bottom 6er.

Defence men
Granberg - Should start the season with the big team, If he pans out he could fill a hole on the right side of defence.

MacWillian - Will fight for a spot in camp.

Leivo and Percy: Love them, Probably going to need more time, But wouldn't be surprised if they both see time next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad