Markov signs with AK Bars (KHL) [MOD WARNING POST 60]

Markov could help Montreal if he stay in Canadiens?

• Yes. This boy elite defenser

Votes: 82 89.1%
  • No. He s too old and too slow

Votes: 10 10.9%

• Total voters

Jul 6, 2016
Maybe Markov don't want to play anywhere in NHL outside Montreal.

That's what he said. he did not want to move his family for one season to another North American, NHL city. Russian team and city are a better fit for his famiiy for the time being. Playing in the Olympics (hopefully, the North Korean leader won't break the South Korean party), was a good incentive for him.

Boardish

Mar 3, 2004
markov only negotiated with us. he didnt even field offers from other teams. this team is a joke to loyal players. you are either quebecois or trash in their eyes. only because fans might get angry if you treat a local bad

Confirmation bias at its finest.

I feel sad for you.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Confirmation bias at its finest.

I feel sad for you.

I feel sad for all of us. Markov is near the top of virtually every record by defensemen in the history of the franchise and top ten in several that include all players. I wanted him to finish his career in Montreal.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
"Expect the unexpected" then hands the pen to JD, what a show.:laugh::laugh: Did he consult with Schwarzenegger for acting lessons? What a complete **** show this has become. :laugh: Your 2017-18 Montreal Carey Prices ladies and gentlemen.:laugh:

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
So this is it. Bargainbinsters have now turned on Markov. The kool aid is empty just like their heads. Seriously there is NO justification to defend this ****stick GM at this point. Move over Houle, you have been replaced. Not just a Bad GM, but a bad human being. If anyone should have been diagnosed its Marc Bergevin.

LOL from wiki
"Marc Bergevin (born August 11, 1965) is not a very smart man, Canadian professional ice hockey executive and former player. He is currently the general manager of the Montreal Canadiens of the National Hockey League (NHL). Bergevin played as a defenceman in the NHL"

You haters are really something else. If Markov's demands were reasonable, he'd be playing here, not in the KHL.

He CHOSE to play in his home country, to represent them in the Olympics once again, and to be closer to his children and family and I respect that. It's ******** how somehow now Bergevin's the bad guy who supposedly mistreated him.

If MB had caved to Markov's contract demands you'd all be raging that he signed a declining 39 year-old who ran out of gas in the playoffs to a guaranteed contract and Plekanec and bla bla bla...

I feel sad for all of us. Markov is near the top of virtually every record by defensemen in the history of the franchise and top ten in several that include all players. I wanted him to finish his career in Montreal.

Um... he already did? The KHL is not where he made his career, he's basically retiring from the NHL.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I wonder if their were off ice issues with Markov that we are/were unaware of?:laugh: The writing was on the wall for him when he saluted PK at center ice after the hospital donation.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
You haters are really something else. If Markov's demands were reasonable, he'd be playing here, not in the KHL.

He CHOSE to play in his home country, to represent them in the Olympics once again, and to be closer to his children and family and I respect that. It's ******** how somehow now Bergevin's the bad guy who supposedly mistreated him.

If MB had caved to Markov's contract demands you'd all be raging that he signed a declining 39 year-old who ran out of gas in the playoffs to a guaranteed contract and Plekanec and bla bla bla...

Um... he already did? The KHL is not where he made his career, he's basically retiring from the NHL.

So you are calling Markov a liar? He changed down to one year and Bullet Proof Bergie said F off to him. Man alive, this forum turns on ANY player that bergevin doesn't give the sign of the cross to. You are sad. :shakehead

Puck Luck Run Amok

Oct 26, 2012
The void
As much as I agree there are twisted minds here and that racism is just shocking at this point in time, I think some of the comments made may have been misunderstood. There is a difference between hate towards others and wanting your team to represent your demographics. people want to identify themselves with the team, and i personally don't consider that xenophobia. This phenomenon can be seen all over the world in sports teams , and although the political climate sometimes helps to polarize marginal people, I respect people's desire for more identity.

I though, will cruelly miss Markov, Emelin and Radu-love. 3 of my favorite habs. A really dramatic loss of talent, leadership AND enthusiasm. I might be wrong, but Emelin and Radulov always looked like they gave energy to the team... time for everyone to let your advanced stats rest on the side and realize what we lost on the ice. Unless galchenyuk breaks out, I don't see us being October champs this year.

that being said... markov ''earned'' to leave on his terms. sad day.

Well he might not be racist but he certainly has shown an incredibly strong in group preference.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
He would make a great assistant coach. However, I think it's likely that sooner or later he'll become the head coach of a KHL team.

Don't think he intends to come back to Canada...

3deb9effd24a68bd387f9cba04ff9d06--where-the-heart-is-my-heart.jpg

And his heart is in Russia

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Markov has always been honest with the media, Bergevin rarely is. I don't understand how anyone could believe the latter.

Yes, Markov probably played hardball. This was his last payday after all.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Markov has always been honest with the media, Bergevin rarely is. I don't understand how anyone could believe the latter.

How was this his last payday if he was asking for 2 years at the beginning? Andrei clearly thinks he can still bring it for more than one year.

Too bad we don't know the actual numbers discussed, it would've been a lot easier to have a strong position one way or the other.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
I would, he'd have to clear waivers to return to the NHL.
Which team would claim him knowing he will only play for us.

I just briefly followed this today and he said he's not closing the door.

I'm not sure what the rule is when the NHL season is in progress, if he would have to go through waiver before being able to sign with us after the KHL season is completed. Is it something that could happen?

Last edited:

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Being a business man myself, I can understand this decision. But being a long time Habs fan, I'm quite sad to see Markov leave. Best of luck General, you will be missed.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016

lol Lets start blaming a GM for not wanting to show his hands.. :shakehead

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I have no idea how negotiations went, I really don't. I'm just disappointed regardless. The silver lining is that he isn't on another NHL team but this stings anyway.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016

Well as of now he has finished his NHL career as a hab.

No one really takes the KHL seriously when it comes to counting NHL career. Is another team going to sign 39 year old Markov after 1 year in the KHL? And he even basically said he doesn't want to play anywhere else and his time as a hab is done FOR NOW.

Great career for Markov. A true habs legend. Best D habs have seen in a long time and his longevity puts him past other greats like Chelios or PK. If he wants to wind down and play in an easier league like the KHL and do by his family and try to win a gold at the Olympics let him follow that. I hope the team does something special for him this upcoming season.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
We have absolutely no reason to believe MB negociated in good faith.

He had his media lackeys falsely say he was stuck on two years. We now know this isn't true.

We had some BargainBinites here say Markov CHOSE to leave... When we can clearly see he absolutely wanted to come back.

Bergevin is so transparent it's almost laughable. I had a whole post defending Weber in another thread but at this point, I'm not defending any moves or players this clown adds. He just needs to get the **** out of Montreal. The man is a disgrace.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
As much as I agree there are twisted minds here and that racism is just shocking at this point in time, I think some of the comments made may have been misunderstood. There is a difference between hate towards others and wanting your team to represent your demographics. people want to identify themselves with the team, and i personally don't consider that xenophobia.

So if there is a US city that has very few Blacks, it would ok to say that "we don't want Blacks on the team. It is not racist, just merely wanting players that identify with "our" demographic.

If that example makes anyone uncomfortable, substitute Jews, Catholics, or any other label to group individuals under.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
We have absolutely no reason to believe MB negociated in good faith.

He had his media lackeys falsely say he was stuck on two years. We now know this isn't true.

We had some BargainBinites here say Markov CHOSE to leave... When we can clearly see he absolutely wanted to come back.

Bergevin is so transparent it's almost laughable. I had a whole post defending Weber in another thread but at this point, I'm not defending any moves or players this clown adds. He just needs to get the **** out of Montreal. The man is a disgrace.

What's the point of your post really?

Why even negotiate then?

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Well as of now he has finished his NHL career as a hab.

No one really takes the KHL seriously when it comes to counting NHL career. Is another team going to sign 39 year old Markov after 1 year in the KHL? And he even basically said he doesn't want to play anywhere else and his time as a hab is done FOR NOW.

Great career for Markov. A true habs legend. Best D habs have seen in a long time and his longevity puts him past other greats like Chelios or PK. If he wants to wind down and play in an easier league like the KHL and do by his family and try to win a gold at the Olympics let him follow that. I hope the team does something special for him this upcoming season.
When the KHL season is going to be over what is he going to do in his spare time? Markov playing oversee is actually a good move for Bergevin. Markov is almost superhuman, he can play 100 competitive games even at his age.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad