Player Discussion Mark Stone: 16th overall for Points Per Game & 14th overall in ES scoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
An offer sheet 99.9999 percent won't happen because the Senators can file for club elected arbitration prior to July 1st. Teams cannot offer sheet a player once arbitration is filed for. Filing for arbitration is seen as mostly a formality by players+teams, so it would not stop the Senators and Stone from continuing to negotiate a long term contract.

If the Senators do not file for arbitration, Stone would file anyways a few days into July when the player window opens, so with no long term deal in place, someone would be filing anyways.

Reactions: topshelf15

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
An offer sheet 99.9999 percent won't happen because the Senators can file for club elected arbitration prior to July 1st. Teams cannot offer sheet a player once arbitration is filed for. Filing for arbitration is seen as mostly a formality by players+teams, so it would not stop the Senators and Stone from continuing to negotiate a long term contract.

If the Senators do not file for arbitration, Stone would file anyways a few days into July when the player window opens, so with no long term deal in place, someone would be filing anyways.
We really need this offseason to go well,far far to much negative news for this team.....

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
As far as the likelihood of a long term extension being consummated, Stone has very clearly been groomed to be either the #1 or #2 leader here in Ottawa. This has been clear for the last two years starting with the talk of how the team moved his locker to a certain place in order to put him in a better position to be a voice in the room, and more recently with how accountable he has made himself in the public eye for this team's performance or more accurately lack of performance.

Granted, I still think short of Karlsson turning around and telling Dorion he'll take a huge discount (or the trade offers being awful), I think this team is trading Karlsson at the draft and kicking off a rebuild, so I'm coming from a place where I think there'll be money there to pay Stone and that the Senators internal cap won't be an issue long term with a Stone extension.

I think that this team will extend Stone rather easily and wait to announce it until after the Karlsson trade is made. 7-8 years, 7-8 million, book it. They'll make a big deal out of naming Stone captain, maybe we'll get a few propaganda articles trying to spread exaggerations about about how Karlsson was a bad captain who wasn't held accountable by Boucher, that Karlsson didn't love Ottawa enough to take a discount, and during Karlsson's captaincy Stone rose to being the real voice in the room and is our modern day Daniel Alfredsson. The team will sell the hope of a rebuild, and extending Stone while plastering the C on the chest of the best forward we've had since Alfredsson will be a huge part of that.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
As far as the likelihood of a long term extension being consummated, Stone has very clearly been groomed to be either the #1 or #2 leader here in Ottawa. This has been clear for the last two years starting with the talk of how the team moved his locker to a certain place in order to put him in a better position to be a voice in the room, and more recently with how accountable he has made himself in the public eye for this team's performance or more accurately lack of performance.

Granted, I still think short of Karlsson turning around and telling Dorion he'll take a huge discount (or the trade offers being awful), I think this team is trading Karlsson at the draft and kicking off a rebuild, so I'm coming from a place where I think there'll be money there to pay Stone and that the Senators internal cap won't be an issue long term with a Stone extension.

I think that this team will extend Stone rather easily and wait to announce it until after the Karlsson trade is made. 7-8 years, 7-8 million, book it. They'll make a big deal out of naming Stone captain, maybe we'll get a few propaganda articles trying to spread exaggerations about about how Karlsson was a bad captain who wasn't held accountable by Boucher, that Karlsson didn't love Ottawa enough to take a discount, and during Karlsson's captaincy Stone rose to being the real voice in the room and is our modern day Daniel Alfredsson. The team will sell the hope of a rebuild, and extending Stone while plastering the C on the chest of the best forward we've had since Alfredsson will be a huge part of that.
Sadly I can see this playing out.....Hopefully we can get something good for EK,or its going to be a ugly offseason

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

I really hope that doesn't happen. Not only would we lose Erik, but those kind of expectations would be setting Stone up for failure.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Mark Stone has been the best player on this team this yr & hopefully he has an injury free season next yr. He's a great player, he's a very good assistant captain, he's a good speaker with the media, he seems like a great team guy & he would make an excellent captain should that day ever come. :thumbu:

Cloud

Feb 22, 2016
Yukon

I wouldn't be shocked if that's exactly how things go down...eerie post...well done.

Reactions: Boud

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

Yep definitely. Real sad that they'll cover up the Karlsson trade with Stone.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
What do people think Stone is worth? I have a hard time pinning down his value.

He has reach 60 pts in his career multiple times and is an excellent two way player. The question is how do u quantify that? Who are his compareables? Is he a 8million dollar player? I'm not sure.

It seems his only real downfalls are he is injury prone and he hasn't broken through past the 60pt range which I think we all believe he can but he hasn't

So what is this guy worth?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
What do people think Stone is worth? I have a hard time pinning down his value.

He has reach 60 pts in his career multiple times and is an excellent two way player. The question is how do u quantify that? Who are his compareables? Is he a 8million dollar player? I'm not sure.

It seems his only real downfalls are he is injury prone and he hasn't broken through past the 60pt range which I think we all believe he can but he hasn't

So what is this guy worth?

I have no clue what the NHL would peg as a fair value.

Personally, I have a hard time envisioning him over 6 mil. He'll probably get more than that, but it feels like it's setting him up for unrealistic expectations (points-wise).

Reactions: HSF and topshelf15

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
so, qualified at $4,500,000
arbitration should be filled before July 1st (to avoid offer sheets)

hope the Stone and management settle for a long term 8M AAV

what do you guys think he's worth?

Personally, I have a hard time envisioning him over 6 mil. He'll probably get more than that, but it feels like it's setting him up for unrealistic expectations (points-wise).
if Miller just got 5.5M AAV, Stone is worth a lot more that 6M

Reactions: bert

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
so, qualified at $4,500,000
arbitration should be filled before July 1st (to avoid offer sheets)

hope the Stone and management settle for a long term 8M AAV

what do you guys think he's worth?

if Miller just got 5.5M AAV, Stone is worth a lot more that 6M
It would be nice to lock him lock term at 7 per. But I feel like these days Ottawa will be overpaying for talent instead of getting hometown discounts..

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Players usually give hometown discounts when the team is trying to fit as much talent as possible under the cap and is aggressively pursuing the cup. Players then see the benefit of giving up a bit of salary to be on a winning team with a good chance of winning the cup during their contract there.

So not gonna really happen here any time soon.

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There
I don't see anything noting that the Sens elected to file for arbitration prior to July 1st, did I just miss it?

Or are we all going to wait anxiously to see it Stone files for arb?

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
I don't see anything noting that the Sens elected to file for arbitration prior to July 1st, did I just miss it?

Or are we all going to wait anxiously to see it Stone files for arb?

They haven't. Think I saw they gave Stone and Ceci the minimum bump for an RFA salary and no news since.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Hes younger and better then Coulture
He’s much better then JVR

He’s worth 9x8

Reactions: Que
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden