Player Discussion Mark Stone: 16th overall for Points Per Game & 14th overall in ES scoring

Discussion in 'Ottawa Senators' started by Benjamin, Feb 28, 2018.

1. danielpalfredsson

danielpalfredsson is excited about filip gustavsson

not a schmohawk
    An offer sheet 99.9999 percent won't happen because the Senators can file for club elected arbitration prior to July 1st. Teams cannot offer sheet a player once arbitration is filed for. Filing for arbitration is seen as mostly a formality by players+teams, so it would not stop the Senators and Stone from continuing to negotiate a long term contract.

If the Senators do not file for arbitration, Stone would file anyways a few days into July when the player window opens, so with no long term deal in place, someone would be filing anyways.

topshelf15 likes this.
  2. topshelf15

topshelf15 Registered User

We really need this offseason to go well,far far to much negative news for this team.....

3. danielpalfredsson

danielpalfredsson is excited about filip gustavsson

not a schmohawk
    As far as the likelihood of a long term extension being consummated, Stone has very clearly been groomed to be either the #1 or #2 leader here in Ottawa. This has been clear for the last two years starting with the talk of how the team moved his locker to a certain place in order to put him in a better position to be a voice in the room, and more recently with how accountable he has made himself in the public eye for this team's performance or more accurately lack of performance.

Granted, I still think short of Karlsson turning around and telling Dorion he'll take a huge discount (or the trade offers being awful), I think this team is trading Karlsson at the draft and kicking off a rebuild, so I'm coming from a place where I think there'll be money there to pay Stone and that the Senators internal cap won't be an issue long term with a Stone extension.

I think that this team will extend Stone rather easily and wait to announce it until after the Karlsson trade is made. 7-8 years, 7-8 million, book it. They'll make a big deal out of naming Stone captain, maybe we'll get a few propaganda articles trying to spread exaggerations about about how Karlsson was a bad captain who wasn't held accountable by Boucher, that Karlsson didn't love Ottawa enough to take a discount, and during Karlsson's captaincy Stone rose to being the real voice in the room and is our modern day Daniel Alfredsson. The team will sell the hope of a rebuild, and extending Stone while plastering the C on the chest of the best forward we've had since Alfredsson will be a huge part of that.

Boud and Sens like this.
  4. topshelf15

topshelf15 Registered User

Sadly I can see this playing out.....Hopefully we can get something good for EK,or its going to be a ugly offseason

5. Nac Mac Feegle

Nac Mac Feegle wee & free

I really hope that doesn't happen. Not only would we lose Erik, but those kind of expectations would be setting Stone up for failure.

6. aragorn

aragorn YES WE CAN

Mark Stone has been the best player on this team this yr & hopefully he has an injury free season next yr. He's a great player, he's a very good assistant captain, he's a good speaker with the media, he seems like a great team guy & he would make an excellent captain should that day ever come. :thumbu:

7. Adele Dazeem

Adele Dazeem Registered User

Stocks and Stuff
    Stone is the definition of a near-perfect hockey player.

aragorn likes this.
  8. Szechwan

Szechwan Plug Life.

Is he done for the season or is he expected back?

9. Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy Registered User

tanks for the update

Szechwan likes this.
  10. Cloud

Cloud Registered User

I wouldn't be shocked if that's exactly how things go down...eerie post...well done.

Boud likes this.
  11. Boud

Boud Registered User

Yep definitely. Real sad that they'll cover up the Karlsson trade with Stone.

12. HSF

HSF Registered User

What do people think Stone is worth? I have a hard time pinning down his value.

He has reach 60 pts in his career multiple times and is an excellent two way player. The question is how do u quantify that? Who are his compareables? Is he a 8million dollar player? I'm not sure.

It seems his only real downfalls are he is injury prone and he hasn't broken through past the 60pt range which I think we all believe he can but he hasn't

So what is this guy worth?

13. Nac Mac Feegle

Nac Mac Feegle wee & free

I have no clue what the NHL would peg as a fair value.

Personally, I have a hard time envisioning him over 6 mil. He'll probably get more than that, but it feels like it's setting him up for unrealistic expectations (points-wise).

HSF and topshelf15 like this.