Player Discussion Mark Stone: 16th overall for Points Per Game & 14th overall in ES scoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
GqmntI0.png

16th in PPG. 29th in overall points. 14th in overall even strength points. All on a garbage team.

Discuss.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Unfortunately, I can't see him getting locked up for more than 3-5 years. Hope I am proven wrong here, just the sense I get.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Hey Gil what's with the Melnyk avatar? If Stone wants longer he'll get it

re: the avatar, I suppose Nietzche would call it staring into the abyss...

re: Stone, see above; this is the face of our organization now. This is the face he needs to reconcile with. I think Stone will seriously hesitate if we ask for a max-term commitment.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
re: the avatar, I suppose Nietzche would call it staring into the abyss...

re: Stone, see above; this is the face of our organization now. This is the face he needs to reconcile with. I think Stone will seriously hesitate if we ask for a max-term commitment.

Stone will reach Unrestricted Free Agency status on July 1st 2019, unless he's under contract.

It would be in his best interests to re-sign this July for only one year, and Ottawa would have to pay up to buy away some of his UFA years.

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
As a fan, I love Stone and hope he can get a long-term contract with the Sens. For Melnyk, he better try to trade him while his value is high, so he doesn't ask for a costly extension.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Stone will reach Unrestricted Free Agency status on July 1st 2019, unless he's under contract.

It would be in his best interests to re-sign this July for only one year, and Ottawa would have to pay up to buy away some of his UFA years.

Don't underestimate the allure of guaranteed dolla dolla bills.

Would you sign a 1 year deal at $6.5M only to risk a career ending injury, or would you sign a 7 or 8 year deal at $6.25M per, with all of it guaranteed? On the open market as a UFA, what's he looking at? Around $6.75M? More? I don't know, to be honest, but I do know that most player agents tell their guys to get locked in for long term. If the poop hits the fan at some point, I don't think there will be much trouble for Sens management to find a trading partner for Mark Stone. Plus, if we're taking everything at face value here, he's always said to the media that his intentions are to stay in Ottawa, so there's that too.

Reactions: Cosmix

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
As a fan, I love Stone and hope he can get a long-term contract with the Sens. For Melnyk, he better try to trade him while his value is high, so he doesn't ask for a costly extension.

It's so sad that our lives as Sens fans has come to this. For every single player on the roster we live in fear that our cheap-ass owner won't pay to keep him. It sucks.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008

I don't think Stone is desperate to get out of Ottawa (which is what a 1-year deal would indicate) but I also don't think he's ready to put his future entirely in the hands of our organization. Hence the expectation for a mid-term commitment.

Lets put it this way - I would not be surprised if one of Smith, Ryan or Gaborik outlasted him on this team.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
It's so sad that our lives as Sens fans has come to this. For every single player on the roster we live in fear that our cheap-ass owner won't pay to keep him. It sucks.

Read an article with a great headline, termed it Sports Hell....Sens fans are now experts at the cap and real money management, perhaps this opens up a door for a future (former?) Sens fan for a job down the line, thanks Euge!

SensNation613

Dec 30, 2013
Ottawa
Don't underestimate the allure of guaranteed dolla dolla bills.

Would you sign a 1 year deal at $6.5M only to risk a career ending injury, or would you sign a 7 or 8 year deal at $6.25M per, with all of it guaranteed? On the open market as a UFA, what's he looking at? Around $6.75M? More? I don't know, to be honest, but I do know that most player agents tell their guys to get locked in for long term. If the poop hits the fan at some point, I don't think there will be much trouble for Sens management to find a trading partner for Mark Stone. Plus, if we're taking everything at face value here, he's always said to the media that his intentions are to stay in Ottawa, so there's that too.

I think Stone gets 7.5M on the open market, maybe even 8M if a team really wants him. He'll be 27 years old if he were to hit UFA so they'd get him until he turns 34 on a 7 year deal.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

What?

It would be in his best financial interest to get 8 years out of ottawa right now. He is playing his best and is injury prone if I am his agent i'm telling him to cash in big right now especially with him getting more attention this year due to Karlsson poor season

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015

I don't think Stone is desperate to get out of Ottawa (which is what a 1-year deal would indicate) but I also don't think he's ready to put his future entirely in the hands of our organization. Hence the expectation for a mid-term commitment.

Lets put it this way - I would not be surprised if one of Smith, Ryan or Gaborik outlasted him on this team.

wtf are you people on?

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
This is disgusting. People ought to be banned for posting this kind of filth.

I should be banned for thinking that Stone *might* want a 3- or 4-year deal? What is so disgusting about my post?

I seriously hope we lock him up for 8 years, I just wouldn't be surprised if he signed a shorter deal and re-evaluated down the road. Obviously, he's a far lesser player, but Galchenyuk decided to do exactly that.

Maybe I've just become jaded, but it's shocking to me that people would be shocked to see an unconventional scenario arise between Sens and Star Player X. I've been extremely optimistic towards the organization and given benefit of the doubt but at this point, I'm not going to assume that anyone will be here long-term.

thesensguy

Apr 5, 2014
Ottawa,Ontario
if there is one player that is going absolutely no where its Mark Stone lmao

I guarantee he's getting a 5+ year extension, hopefully 7 or 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->