Player Discussion Mark Stone: 16th overall for Points Per Game & 14th overall in ES scoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToastrStutzle

Feb 1, 2016
Ottawa
As good as he is, with how poor of a skater he is I'd be worried about going really long term with him. 8 years would bring him to 33 or so which would probably be fine But you never know!

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Who's been a better winger than him in Sens history other Alfie? Hossa? Maybe Heatley?
Among all forwards, add Yashin and maybe Spezza?

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
Stone only has 1 power play goal this year. Imagine his point totals if the team could get that going.

Reactions: Deku

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
As good as he is, with how poor of a skater he is I'd be worried about going really long term with him. 8 years would bring him to 33 or so which would probably be fine But you never know!

Like for most players, it really depends on injuries

Havlat, Heatley, Ryan, Spezza, Gaborik, MacArthur, just on top of my head would have had better careers if it was not for injuries. Even Karlsson would have had a even better career if it was not for injuries

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

That's pretty much my main fear with Stone. He also has quite the trend of needing several games after coming back from injury to get his legs back.

Love the guy, though. If it were possible to put some sort of positive hex on the kid so he'd never get another injury, I would.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
It's the opposite for Stone. He should remain good as he gets older, he gets by now on his smarts. His skating doesn't hold him back now, it won't as he ages.

If he relied on his skating I would worry.

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
If I’m Dorion I’d try and lowball this guy on a bridge deal. Take him right to UFA and see what happens. From a pure cost perspective that’s the best option

That's an extremely risky and unnecessary move. Bridge deals are typically for guys that have a little more to show before they can cash in. Stone has done everything that has been asked of him and more. Offering a contract that would take him to the first year of UFA eligibility would be like showing him the door after 2 years.

The guy wants to be part of the solution, he's a core piece, a leader and if EK isn't around the clear choice to be the next captain. It should be a no brainer to sign Stone long term.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
I don't think you were supposed to take it seriously, dude.

After the emotional turmoil that many went though last week, you brought up a depressing scenario.

A very fair point. I hope I'm wrong and expect I probably will be.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Considering his health problems, Stone may prefer term. Maybe an 8 year at 6mil gets it done.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
If I’m Dorion I’d try and lowball this guy on a bridge deal. Take him right to UFA and see what happens. From a pure cost perspective that’s the best option
There's really nothing scarier than an upcoming UFA with the Sens. You're going to end up paying him more. We pretty much already know what he is.

Last edited:

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

That will not work. He will elect for arbitration and get paid regardless. Next year is his last RFA year, looking him up long term is the way to go here.

TB1299

Apr 13, 2016
I would actually trade Stone. I love him but he is going to be a terrible singing long term.

He's going to turn into Cheecho et all. As soon as he starts slowing down.

I'd much rather do a good hockey trade but not until after we sign EK long term LOL.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I would actually trade Stone. I love him but he is going to be a terrible singing long term.

He's going to turn into Cheecho et all. As soon as he starts slowing down.

I'd much rather do a good hockey trade but not until after we sign EK long term LOL.
Go to bed Eugene.

Aurilius

Nov 12, 2015
Hostage in Canada's Basement
If he accepts 7 and 7 thats a good deal for us. He's one of if not the most underrated forward in the league. Spezza's makin 7.5 Bergerons making 8.75
Okposo Marchand Oshie, Radulov all making 8. Those are comparables to me.

TB1299

Apr 13, 2016
Lol yeah trading Stoner is not a popular opinion but if I am Bill Belichik and I run the Patriots I definitley trade Stoner at Peak value for an equivalent peace with longer term upside and build around that.

The only person that I keep is Tom Brady, I mean Erik Karlsson.

In which case that makes me Kraft too.

Note to self: Gronk on Skates

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Would love to see him as McDavids winger they would take turns every shift taking away puck from opposition

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
Lol yeah trading Stoner is not a popular opinion but if I am Bill Belichik and I run the Patriots I definitley trade Stoner at Peak value for an equivalent peace with longer term upside and build around that.

.....what? If you're going to compare the Sens with any team in the NFL, you'd be closer with the Cleveland Browns than the Patriots, but it's all silly.

thesensguy

Apr 5, 2014
Ottawa,Ontario

Who would be an "equivalent piece" with longer term upside? Faster skating, slightly younger equivalent, who would someone like that be?

TB1299

Apr 13, 2016
Who would be an "equivalent piece" with longer term upside? Faster skating, slightly younger equivalent, who would someone like that be?

I am not sure. I'd have to think about it but I am confident there may be one.

I'd maybe trade stone + prospect or 2nd rounder.

Again,

He has value. Maximize him and Peak Value and sell him for ONE piece. If you are trading stoner make sure you are getting am eqivalent piece back.

That is a good question on who. I'd have to think about it.

Long term stone scares me that is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->