Speculation: Mark Madden: Penguins will try to trade Kessel this offseason

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I can't wait for Kessel to be traded for a larger return than the Leafs gave up just for casual hockey fans to ignore the fact that his cap hit isn't 8M anymore

Your point makes no sense as his cap hit wasn’t 8 when he was traded either...

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Mark Madden is a freaking idiot. I wouldn't believe him as far as I can throw him, and I doubt I could even lift him up.

I don't doubt that has a few connections around the team, but I do highly doubt that any of them would tell him any legitimate trade information.

The self-proclaimed "Super Genius" spews bs all the time.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
St. Louis would have to be on his list. Looking through your roster, there are a lot of attractive pieces so sure. Problem is, every time I say "oooo...I want him", I remind myself "No...they need him. They want Kessel to add to that". For example, Schwartz. I'd love him for Sid's wing. But I don't think that helps you guys.

Thompson, Fabbri, Kostin would be of interest. Bouwmeester would be an interesting part of the package as salary back but I'm just not sure how your defense shakes out without them. Not sure where you guys see everyone.

Something along the lines of Bouw, Fabbri, Kostin/1st for Kessel, Sheary could be explored. Just tough because all the young attractive pieces you have, I imagine are for kicking off the next gen Blues.

Done. I'll give you Kostin and the 1st if we sign the paperwork right now.

Good analysis of which pieces we need going forward though. You are pretty spot on about who might be available.

We are fine without Bo. We ran without him most of this year. Edmundson has stepped up into a good complimentary first pairing guy. He couldn't carry a first pair, not even close, but he is solid with Pietrangelo. Dunn has also emerged and will only get better. Parayko can help carry him. That is a our top 4 going forward. Bo will shelter Dunn a little more this year, but isn't a necessity if a deal comes up where we can move him.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Why? Cap?

Sullivan and Kessel apparently have very serious issues, which makes sense because Kessel is a nightmare for any coach. His value is also likely as high as it's ever going to be.

Sheary has 23 then 18 goals...roughly 20g scorer. Kessel is good for 30g's. That's 50 goals to replace. That's big. We can't do that internally. I agree that Frolik is an upgrade on Sheary but is adding Brodie worth the huge downgrade in offense? Brodie ain't making that up. Unless you can send out Maatta for a big forward piece coming back...I think we'll just have to agree to disagree.

You're not replacing them offensively, but your defensive game is vastly improved by swapping those two. I still think the Penguins would be a top end offensive team, but they'd just be noticeably better defensively.

As long as the Pens retain some...lol.

How generous of you, offering a futures package with the Penguins retaining salary. How generous!

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't think we have ever agreed before. I take it back :sarcasm:

Fine no Kessel for Calgary then :sarcasm:

I think Kessel to Calgary would have to come with another move, probably Maatta for a winger, but it's definitely a possible scenario. I think Minnesota, Calgary, Florida, St. Louis and San Jose are the 5 teams that really stick out as the favorites for landing Kessel. I think teams like Buffalo, Carolina and Edmonton would also be interested, but those teams either don't have the assets the Penguins would want, Kessel likely wouldn't waive for or wouldn't be a team that the Penguins would trade Kessel to.

cvrle1

Jun 24, 2017
This isnt just coming from MM. Ron Cook reported on it as well. He was saying huge reason for Kessel's poor results during these playoffs was relationship between him and Sullivan. They really miss Rick Tocchet back there, as he was a "Kessel whisperer" He knew how to keep Kessel happy, Sully does not. It also doesnt help thT sullivan pretty much threw Kessel under the bus at the end of the season. GMJR said Kessel played with injuries whole season, some bad, and Sully came back and said Kessel just had some bumps and bruises like every other player in the playoffs did.

Ron Cook: Soured relationship with Phil Kessel torpedoed Penguins' Cup hopes

Also, MM does have some good sources, he is good at getting in peoples rears and making connections. Yes, he is an idiot, and comes off as big jagoff, but he also isnt just throwing darts like Eklund.

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
Look at all the attention the loudmouthed BSer MM is getting. He has no sources, he is a joke, he's wrong always and he succeeds only in stirring the pot. Enjoy!

Reactions: PENSFAN234

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
This isnt just coming from MM. Ron Cook reported on it as well. He was saying huge reason for Kessel's poor results during these playoffs was relationship between him and Sullivan. They really miss Rick Tocchet back there, as he was a "Kessel whisperer" He knew how to keep Kessel happy, Sully does not. It also doesnt help thT sullivan pretty much threw Kessel under the bus at the end of the season. GMJR said Kessel played with injuries whole season, some bad, and Sully came back and said Kessel just had some bumps and bruises like every other player in the playoffs did.

Ron Cook: Soured relationship with Phil Kessel torpedoed Penguins' Cup hopes

Also, MM does have some good sources, he is good at getting in peoples rears and making connections. Yes, he is an idiot, and comes off as big jagoff, but he also isnt just throwing darts like Eklund.

Ron Cook is an even bigger idiot than Madden.

If Madden and Cook are the sources of these rumors, that should tell people all they need to know. I'll wait for someone more credible to add fuel to the fire before I'll start believing Kessel's days as a Penguin are almost done.

HollaHaula

Cynical Wild fan
Jul 28, 2015
Minnesota fans:

Would Nino+1st be of interest?

Parise-Staal-Kessel would be a legit 1st line I think.
Would rather just do only Nino for Kessel. Yeah sure their current stats don't match up but, Nino is quite a bit younger and cheaper. Nino has also been one of the Wild's best advanced stats forwards and I have a strong feeling his point totals would blossom when playing with Sid or Malkin.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Would rather just do only Nino for Kessel. Yeah sure their current stats don't match up but, Nino is quite a bit younger and cheaper. Nino has also been one of the Wild's best advanced stats forwards and I have a strong feeling his point totals would blossom when playing with Sid or Malkin.

You are aware that Kessel had 60 more points than Niederreiter had this year, correct? Straight up is comically bad for the Penguins, there's no chance that would work. Good fancy stats don't negate out the fact that Kessel had nearly 3x as many points as Niederreiter had this year.

The Penguins would probably like Nino as a centerpiece because of what he did last year and because he's young, but straight up is just insane. Kessel is just a better and more valuable player.

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
Lemieux wasn't liked by the media outside of Pittsburgh when he played, and Kessel is in pretty good company. Look at some of the local sports writers in Pittsburgh. Madden, Cook, Rossi, Benz etc. they are terrible journalists who aren't liked by pens fans. They need something to talk about before the NHL draft next month.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Ron Cook is an even bigger idiot than Madden.

If Madden and Cook are the sources of these rumors, that should tell people all they need to know. I'll wait for someone more credible to add fuel to the fire before I'll start believing Kessel's days as a Penguin are almost done.

Agreed... Ron Cook has shit knowledge of the sport and doesnt have any real tangible sources besides okay hes media personel and can get into the locker room to interview guys.

His piece was pure speculative and also a shot at Kessel whom I'm sure he was salty cause Kessel gave no interviews.

I'd believe Rossi before Cook, and that should mean alot.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Lemieux wasn't liked by the media outside of Pittsburgh when he played, and Kessel is in pretty good company. Look at some of the local sports writers in Pittsburgh. Madden, Cook, Rossi, Benz etc. they are terrible journalists who aren't liked by pens fans. They need something to talk about before the NHL draft next month.

This....

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Remember when the media was spewing inside info that Sid and Mario were at each others throats ready to throw down....

Common man... these guys are hacks.

If the trade happens, so be it, I wont like it unless the return is a fleecing. But take anything you hear from our media as trash until someone who is more reputable says something.

Like a Bobby Mac.

Reactions: PENSFAN234

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad