Speculation: Mark Madden: Penguins will try to trade Kessel this offseason

Feb 24, 2017
First of all, Madden is an awful blowhard. No one takes the dude serious.

Also, Kessel moving wouldnt be the CRAZIEST thing in the world. However, if the return doesn't include a legit defensemen; it's pointless.
They have two cups with kes

They can trade him and 3 firsts for a 7th and they still Effin killed it

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

Also, Kessel moving wouldnt be the CRAZIEST thing in the world. However, if the return doesn't include a legit defensemen; it's pointless.
Brodie + Frolik for Kessel + Sheary/Rust?

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
Kessel scored 92 points this season and hasn't missed a game since 2010.

If that doesn't get Subban it's not very far off.
only reason i don't see that swap working for them is because Nashville isn't really filling a major need by trading for Kessel

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Kessel for Tarasenko?

Makes 0 sense for the Blues. A trade to get Kessel to STL would be to add to the RW depth. This just puts the Blues back at the same place they are now but with an older, albeit still excellent, top line RW and nothing behind him.

I’d love to get Kessel on the Blues but the price would -rightfully- be too high.

Reactions: Freedom

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Kessel scored 92 points this season and hasn't missed a game since 2010.

If that doesn't get Subban it's not very far off.

Well, what would be best for Nashvilles PP if they remove Subban. Having Kessel and Forsberg parked on same spot, or having Malkin and Forsberg parked on each side?

What would make Nashville more scary in the playoff?

Forsberg-Johanson-Arvidsson
Smith/a finish sniper-Malkin-Fiala
someone - Turris-Someone

Or

Fiala-Turris-Kessel

domaug

Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
Well, what would be best for Nashvilles PP if they remove Subban. Having Kessel and Forsberg parked on same spot, or having Malkin and Forsberg parked on each side?

What would make Nashville more scary in the playoff?

Smith/a finish sniper-Malkin-Fiala
someone - Turris-Someone

Or

Fiala-Turris-Kessel
you're also assuming Malkin is remotely available.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I f***ing hate the Pittsburgh sports media.

This basically sums it up for me. There's a couple scenarios where trading Kessel makes sense, but getting the right return to make it worth-while would be risky. Do I expect Phil to be worth his contract through the end? Hell no. Do I think the Pens will still be legitimate contenders in 4 years? Also no. Having Phil in the short-term is more important to me than the worries about him not being worth his contract once the window starts to close.

At this point it feels more like the media not wanting to deal with Phil than it is the Penguins actively entertaining the idea. I'm sure Rutherford has said he'll listen to offers, but that doesn't mean he's intending to say yes to a fair deal.

Madden is a buffoon. He has connections, but he's also a sensationalist blowhard. This is an easy way to get pissed off yinzers to listen to his crappy show.

Last edited:

domaug

Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
And you assume Nashville wants a winger for Subban? Nashville lost against Jets due Turris failed as center, they need to upgrade him.
no, i don't. i didn't offer Kessel for Subban. i don't think he's the right centerpiece for a Subban return from Nashville's perspective.

i also think Malkin isn't on the table for just about anyone realistically.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
Kessel being moved is more realisitic than Letang. Theres also a gluttony of RW’s right now.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I’d looooove Kessel in STL. Would probably have to pay a bunch to get him though.

St. Louis would have to be on his list. Looking through your roster, there are a lot of attractive pieces so sure. Problem is, every time I say "oooo...I want him", I remind myself "No...they need him. They want Kessel to add to that". For example, Schwartz. I'd love him for Sid's wing. But I don't think that helps you guys.

Thompson, Fabbri, Kostin would be of interest. Bouwmeester would be an interesting part of the package as salary back but I'm just not sure how your defense shakes out without them. Not sure where you guys see everyone.

Something along the lines of Bouw, Fabbri, Kostin/1st for Kessel, Sheary could be explored. Just tough because all the young attractive pieces you have, I imagine are for kicking off the next gen Blues.

Lol

Draisatil for Maatta and a 2019 1st

In other words Edm has no realistic pieces for Kessel

I think they do. Nurse, Klefbom, Puljujarvi, 10OV. I think between some of those pieces and some of ours there's a workable deal for Kessel. Or hell, even Letang.

I would be fascinated in a Lucic-McDavid-Kessel line. No idea how it works out...but I kinda wanna see it for funzies.

Kessel being moved is more realisitic than Letang. Theres also a gluttony of RW’s right now.

I would say they are both about equal. I don't think they are actively shopping them nor would they take a mediocre return but I don't think either is any safer than the other. Just the deals/returns aspects would be tougher to manage through. Trading Letang makes a bigger hole than Kessel and may take more to refill it. I don't think that means Kessel is more likely than Letang to move.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Brodie + Frolik for Kessel + Sheary/Rust?

Honestly, this is a pretty damn solid offer if it's Sheary. Man, that's actually pretty good.

Madden is a buffoon. He has connections, but he's also a sensationalist blowhard. This is an easy way to get pissed off yinzers to listen to his crappy show.

This is the perfect way to put it. He has connections, but he's just an asshat. That's why I called it "speculation" instead of a "rumor" when I made the thread. He has sources, he was very close with Rick Tocchet before he left for Arizona, he's just a sensationalist asshate.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Honestly, this is a pretty damn solid offer if it's Sheary. Man, that's actually pretty good.

This is the perfect way to put it. He has connections, but he's just an asshat. That's why I called it "speculation" instead of a "rumor" when I made the thread. He has sources, he was very close with Rick Tocchet before he left for Arizona, he's just a sensationalist asshate.

Brodie is an attractive piece in the return. Very attractive. Frolik, though, not so much. Never above 20g; 25p in 70gp last year, $4.2mil...I just can't support that piece when you have Kessel AND another young NHL wing going out the door. Upgrade on the blue line sure but that's a lot of goals going away. Can't support it.

Agree on Madden though. At the end of the day, he is what he is. Grains of salt man...grains of salt. Which media person is close with Recchi? I thought it was Madden but then you said Tocchet and that made much more sense.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Brodie is an attractive piece in the return. Very attractive. Frolik, though, not so much. Never above 20g; 25p in 70gp last year, $4.2mil...I just can't support that piece when you have Kessel AND another young NHL wing going out the door. Upgrade on the blue line sure but that's a lot of goals going away. Can't support it.

Agree on Madden though. At the end of the day, he is what he is. Grains of salt man...grains of salt. Which media person is close with Recchi? I thought it was Madden but then you said Tocchet and that made much more sense.

I'm not sure who's close with Recchi, but I do know Madden is close with Tocchet. I specifically remember Tocchet coming on Madden's show in 2014 before he got hired by the Penguins, where he kept talking about what the Penguins needed to do on the powerplay and stuff like that. He was also on Madden's show quite often when he was the Penguins coach.

I'd be fine with Frolik being the secondary piece coming back for Kessel, he's a decent 2-way middle-6er that can play either wing. Losing Sheary isn't much of a loss in my eyes, I think it's a pretty clear upgrade from Sheary to Frolik.

Murphy doesn't have any legit connections, but he has a really solid point here.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I'm not sure who's close with Recchi, but I do know Madden is close with Tocchet. I specifically remember Tocchet coming on Madden's show in 2014 before he got hired by the Penguins, where he kept talking about what the Penguins needed to do on the powerplay and stuff like that. He was also on Madden's show quite often when he was the Penguins coach.

I'd be fine with Frolik being the secondary piece coming back for Kessel, he's a decent 2-way middle-6er that can play either wing. Losing Sheary isn't much of a loss in my eyes, I think it's a pretty clear upgrade from Sheary to Frolik.

Murphy doesn't have any legit connections, but he has a really solid point here.

Sheary has 23 then 18 goals...roughly 20g scorer. Kessel is good for 30g's. That's 50 goals to replace. That's big. We can't do that internally. I agree that Frolik is an upgrade on Sheary but is adding Brodie worth the huge downgrade in offense? Brodie ain't making that up. Unless you can send out Maatta for a big forward piece coming back...I think we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad