Speculation: Mark Madden: Penguins will try to trade Kessel this offseason

HollaHaula

Cynical Wild fan
Jul 28, 2015
You are aware that Kessel had 60 more points than Niederreiter had this year, correct? Straight up is comically bad for the Penguins, there's no chance that would work. Good fancy stats don't negate out the fact that Kessel had nearly 3x as many points as Niederreiter had this year.

The Penguins would probably like Nino as a centerpiece because of what he did last year and because he's young, but straight up is just insane. Kessel is just a better and more valuable player.
You are also aware that Nino was injured for most of this year, correct?

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
Do the Penguins need a top two defenseman? If so, I would be willing to proposed Muzzin or Martinez* in a deal for Kessel. If not, I doubt the Kings would move any of their rookie or your forwards in a deal.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
Don't understand why you'd trade one of your core players if you still wanna contend.

That's the biggest mistake contenders make. They think that if they just keep the group together, they will compete for more cups. The reality is that, outside of your 1/2 Cs, and 1/2 Ds, everyone should be available if there is a deal to make you better or keep you competitive while getting younger in the process. If the Pens can trade Kessel and pick up a young and skilled defenseman or forward, they will open up cap space to add another piece along with that forward or defenseman.

Reactions: Critical

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
That's the biggest mistake contenders make. They think that if they just keep the group together, they will compete for more cups. The reality is that, outside of your 1/2 Cs, and 1/2 Ds, everyone should be available if there is a deal to make you better or keep you competitive while getting younger in the process. If the Pens can trade Kessel and pick up a young and skilled defenseman or forward, they will open up cap space to add another piece along with that forward or defenseman.
What wins cups is impact players. Kessel is a true-blue top line forward. Trading him makes no sense if you want to win now.

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
Do the Penguins need a top two defenseman? If so, I would be willing to proposed Muzzin or Martinez* in a deal for Kessel. If not, I doubt the Kings would move any of their rookie or your forwards in a deal.
IF Kessel were really available and on the move, I'd consider a package around Martinez but not sure many other Pens fans would.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
You only move Kessel if he wants out. I would think Pittsburgh would want to move someone like Hagelin and figure out who is playing with Crosby and Guentzel next year. I don't think Simon is the guy.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
As someone that despises the Penguins... I can't imagine that being remotely true. Hotbed of hockey pressure on a fringe playoff team, to cup contender (and twice winner), where he was the defacto #3 offensive all-star on the team. I can't imagine how that would have been a hard sell.
He apparently was not a fan of how Sullivan would move him up and down the lineup instead of just playing him with Malkin

Reactions: Freedom

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You are also aware that Nino was injured for most of this year, correct?

Okay? That doesn't really matter, because it's a freaking 60 point differnece between the two. How do you think that's a fair trade? At best, the Penguins get a guy who scores 20 less points a season and can't carry his own line. That's not even remotely enticing 1 for 1, that's robbery for the Wild as the best case scenario for the Penguins.

Reactions: Freedom

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
You only move Kessel if he wants out. I would think Pittsburgh would want to move someone like Hagelin and figure out who is playing with Crosby and Guentzel next year. I don't think Simon is the guy.

Isn’t Hornqvist the guy? They’ve got him for long term as well.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Isn’t Hornqvist the guy? They’ve got him for long term as well.

Some (not me) think Sid doesn't like playing with Hornqvist, hence why Sullivan refuses to keep them together permanently. They tend to bark a lot at each other on the bench, but I think that's more two fiery competitors going back and forth (like you see Malkin and Kessel doing).

That line just produces though when they're together. Hornqvist's the perfect complimentary element on that line because he basically drives to the net and annoys the goalie, giving Sid and Guentzel room to operate.

Essentially, the player who'd be a better fit on that line would be someone who brings what Hornqvist does, but with more speed/talent to play at a faster pace and work the give-and-go better. And since Brad Marchand isn't available, I'm not sure there's a better option.

Flyerfan47

Jun 30, 2011

I'm listing it as "speculation" because I don't consider Madden credible enough for this to be considered a legit rumor. He said at 3 PM that he had a source "close to the Penguins organization and close to Kessel" tell him that the Penguins will actively look to trade Kessel this offseason, and Kessel is amendable to being traded. This seems to be stemming from well documented rifts between Kessel and Sullivan.

I don't think it makes sense for the Penguins to trade Kessel this offseason, but I've always thought Kessel wasn't going to finish his contract here. This isn't super unbelievable because Kessel and Sullivan do seem to have issues, Kessel never seemed like a long term fit with the Penguins and I honestly doubt Kessel wanted to come to Pittsburgh from Toronto in the first place. I could definitely see the Penguins wanting to sell high on Kessel after he had his career best regular season, since it doesn't seem likely that he'll be here in 2 years.

Madden is a total moron. I wouldn't believe him if he told me I had a blue shirt on, and I knew I did. Lived in Pittsburgh for several years and listened too this clown a few times and he made my skin crawl.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
I would say they are both about equal. I don't think they are actively shopping them nor would they take a mediocre return but I don't think either is any safer than the other. Just the deals/returns aspects would be tougher to manage through. Trading Letang makes a bigger hole than Kessel and may take more to refill it. I don't think that means Kessel is more likely than Letang to move.

I agree and imo Kessel shouldn't be moved unless the right deal comes along. It's just that Kessel is expendable but, I'd rather see Hagelin moved first.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Madden is a total moron. I wouldn't believe him if he told me I had a blue shirt on, and I knew I did. Lived in Pittsburgh for several years and listened too this clown a few times and he made my skin crawl.
I just remember him from back in the day and his pro wrestling persona.

As far as Kessel goes how about Kessel and a prospect for Toffoli and Martinez?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I just remember him from back in the day and his pro wrestling persona.

As far as Kessel goes how about Kessel and a prospect for Toffoli and Martinez?

This is one of the first proposals for Kessel that I actually don't mind.

I know he shoots left, but what side is Martinez best at?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->