Speculation: Mark Madden: Penguins will try to trade Kessel this offseason

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
Oh yeah he's definitely a pain in the ass for coaches, I don't think anyone can deny that. He's a quirky guy that just rubs some coaches the wrong way.
He probably is a pita, but the guy regularly puts up 30ish goals and 70ish points. I imagine in this situation most GMs tell their coaches "The guy can play. You can live with some quirkiness."

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
I’m fine if this doesn’t turn out to be BS, to a certain extent. Kessel was straight trash in the playoffs and was often really rough to watch in the regular season despite putting up tons of points. My thought process:

- The Pens’ PP is almost definitely still good for converting at or around a solid 25%.
- Team defense could only increase drastically without him. A huge liability in his own zone.
- Pens could set themselves up as serious contenders for the rest of Crosby and Malkin’s careers with the return, rather than the current outlook, which appears to be very strong contenders for the next year or two at max and then a precipitous decline.
- I am high on Sprong.

The offer would have to be very good, though. Despite my personal misgivings, the guy still was at the top of the league in scoring this season and was able to effectively drive his own line the previous two playoffs. And, unlike when he was with the Leafs, there should be no shortage of suitors for a 93-point 1RW at only 6.8 mil cap hit who has seemingly progressed past the supposed attitude problems that undercut his value in Toronto, as well as the Pens not being even close to being forced to move him. At minimum, I’d expect a young but semi-established NHL d-man, plus a young but established top-9 forward with speed and commitment to defence, plus a significant quantity of prospects/picks likely to make the NHL within 1-3 years. I think that’s what the Pens need - they have Brassard to lead their third line, so we’re not talking a return to a two-line team here - and not at all unreasonable a return for a player of Kessel’s calibre.

I’d personally be far more comfortable moving forward with the following, where Sheary is also potentially offloaded and Hagelin - though a good piece and fit for our team - is not resigned, than our current starting roster with Kessel:

Simon/Guentzel-Crosby-Sprong/Hornqvist
Guentzel/Simon-Malkin-Hornqvist/Sprong
*trade return*-Brassard-Rust
ZAR-Sheahan-Kuhnhackl

Dumoulin-Schultz
Maatta-Letang
Oleksiak-*trade return*

Murray
Jarry

I do not want Simon anywhere near the top 6 on the regular basis.

Reactions: Pens x and Freedom

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Coyle + #24?

Don’t get me wrong, Kessel is a hell of a player and he had a great year, but if Fenton traded a youngish versatile center/winger and our 1st in a deep draft(we already don’t have a second) for another 30+ year old, I would be a bit rattled. Value is definitely there, in fact I think that’s in Minnesota’s favor a bit, but we don’t need anymore older players.

Freedom

Jan 23, 2017
Czech republic
No. Kessel is an elite playmaker who also can score goals. Sprong is more of a shooter who happens to be able to pass as well.

I don't think Sprong will ever be able to drive a line like Kessel can.
Exactly + Kessel stickhandling and hockey IQ are elite. Sprong will learn off course but don't think that has Kessel's talent

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
I can't wait for Kessel to be traded for a larger return than the Leafs gave up just for casual hockey fans to ignore the fact that his cap hit isn't 8M anymore

The way I see it, his cap hit when traded now is exactly the same as when he was traded to Pittsburgh since Toronto retained.

So, he wasn't traded with an $8M cap hit. He was traded with a $6.8M cap hit.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Like I said on the Penguins board, Frolik had way too crappy of a season last year for me to want him as the centerpiece for Kessel. I think you're on the right track for what Kessel would bring back (a worse but more complete 2nd line winger and futures), but I'd want a lot better than that.
Frolik's season can be largely attributed to his broken jaw, there is no reason to think he won't bounce back. I'm not saying it is or isn't a good deal for the Pens, just explaining Fro's season. Honestly though, if Kessel is available and there would be interest in Fro + Andersson, I'd be willing to add in Ferland

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
kessel in toronto didn't go well the first time and frankly i want everyone from the carlyle era gone.
I can understand that point of view. I'm not sure it was Kessel's fault they built a team around him. That was Burke's mistake. He just had his most productive season and he's more of a finishing touch then the guy. Adding him to Matthews or Nylander's wing might push them over the top, like it did for the Pens. I would rather a good dman, though.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
I can understand that point of view. I'm not sure it was Kessel's fault they built a team around him. That was Burke's mistake. He just had his most productive season and he's more of a finishing touch then the guy. Adding him to Matthews or Nylander's wing might push them over the top, like it did for the Pens. I would rather a good dman, though.
I'd rather get a good dman as well and I don't want to give up significant assets to get kessel even though it would cost a lot to get him.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
This guy was a commentator for WCW back in te day, I highly doubt a former pro wrestling announcer knows anything

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Sullivan is the reason why the Pens traded Cole. If he forces Kessel out I will be very concerned. He made questionable lineup decisions all season and now this. Suddenly Sullivan is growing some warts.

Reactions: KIRK and Freedom

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
You really think that means anything? If he covers the team now, he'll have some connections. I'm not saying this guy is reliable, but write him off because of a past career is the epitome if stupid.

Here is what I do know a WCW commentator is VERY likely not the place for inside info on the NHL, there are guys with more credibility than him.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Here is what I do know a WCW commentator is VERY likely not the place for inside info on the NHL, there are guys with more credibility than him.
You clearly missed my point. If he currently covers the team, he will have made connections with them. It's really that simple. His job in a past life is completely irrelevant.

Reactions: Badfish87

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
You really think that means anything? If he covers the team now, he'll have some connections. I'm not saying this guy is reliable, but write him off because of a past career is the epitome if stupid.
He does plenty of stuff now that makes it easy to write him off.

Madden’s claimed inside knowledge of an impending Malkin trade for years, likely only because Malkin won’t go on his show.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
He does plenty of stuff now that makes it easy to write him off.

Madden’s claimed inside knowledge of an impending Malkin trade for years, likely only because Malkin won’t go on his show.
I never said he was good. I am saying his previous job is irrelevant to what he does now. The fact he announced wrestling doesn't mean he does or doesn't have contacts. As you pointed out, he's been covering the Pens for years now, his reliability should be based on that time, not his his time with WCW

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
“Hrdina for Zubrus is a done deal” - Mark Madden for like 2 years straight back in the day. Just in case anyone wanted to know how legit this is.

Granted, I could see the Pens trying to sell high on Phil, but I can’t take Madden serious with trade rumors. He definitely has some contacts in the organization but I can’t remember the last time he got a scoop on a trade that wasn’t painfully obvious or already rumored.

Dylonus

May 4, 2009
Pittsburgh
First of all, Madden is an awful blowhard. No one takes the dude serious.

Also, Kessel moving wouldnt be the CRAZIEST thing in the world. However, if the return doesn't include a legit defensemen; it's pointless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad