Speculation: Mark Madden: Penguins will try to trade Kessel this offseason

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
What wins cups is impact players. Kessel is a true-blue top line forward. Trading him makes no sense if you want to win now.

Who said they were trading him for picks?

What if they got a #2D back, shed some salary, and picked up a prospect?

Or what if they wanted to make a play at one of the top D who might hit the market, including Carlson this year.

Dealing Kessel doesn't mean less chance at a cup. It means they could using scoring 1 way forwards as an area of riches and deal for an area where they need help (top pairing D, multiple good depth players).

Maybe Ellis, Dumba, Faulk or Edmundson could be targets. Someone who can play 22-24 minutes a night.

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
From the Leafs: Andersson, Kapanen, Rychel?

(Obviously just messing around, but that doesn't look horrible considering how well Andersson has played)

I loved Phil here. I know he needed to be dealt and without him there would be no Mathews, but I would love to see him back.

Come home Phil!

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Who said they were trading him for picks?

What if they got a #2D back, shed some salary, and picked up a prospect?

Or what if they wanted to make a play at one of the top D who might hit the market, including Carlson this year.

Dealing Kessel doesn't mean less chance at a cup. It means they could using scoring 1 way forwards as an area of riches and deal for an area where they need help (top pairing D, multiple good depth players).

Maybe Ellis, Dumba, Faulk or Edmundson could be targets. Someone who can play 22-24 minutes a night.

Idk all I know is if he gets dealt they better have a plan to help regain those points they're losing.

Sprong is an unknown and it seems he is in a similar dog house with sully for some reason.

And Simon, or any other of our FWD prospects arent going to drive a line like Phil can, and I doubt they come close to his point production.

Reactions: Freedom

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Brodie+Bennett for kessel and sheary? Or would Frolik appeal to you more?
I think Frolik would make more sense for both teams, Bennett is a complete wildcard and Frolik will help improve the team defense and PK for the Pens. Plus with moving Brodie, we'd need cap space to try and acquire a LD

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Fine no Kessel for Calgary then :sarcasm:

I think Kessel to Calgary would have to come with another move, probably Maatta for a winger, but it's definitely a possible scenario. I think Minnesota, Calgary, Florida, St. Louis and San Jose are the 5 teams that really stick out as the favorites for landing Kessel. I think teams like Buffalo, Carolina and Edmonton would also be interested, but those teams either don't have the assets the Penguins would want, Kessel likely wouldn't waive for or wouldn't be a team that the Penguins would trade Kessel to.
Just a thought.... what if we take out Sheary and add Maatta into the fold, would also adding Bennett offset the difference?

to Flames:
Kessel & Maatta
to Penguins:
Brodie, Frolik & Bennett

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
I will say his not resting at the end of the season to heal his hand in order to maintain his iron man streak seemed selfish. As a result he was abysmal these playoffs and contributed nothing. If the rumor about the rift with Sullivan is true, if it came down to it I'd pick Sullivan over Kessel.

I'm not against trading him as this is the highest his trade value will ever be. But it has to be the right deal. Preferably a good young dman coming back.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Phil will always be a special case.

I don't think it's that far fetched to believe PIT may think it's best to move on IF theres smoke here in terms of Phil not being happy while they have Sprong in the wings and could potentially fill a LW or D hole with a Phil trade.

One things for sure, is Sully isn't going anywhere anytime soon so Phil would lose that battle. But i wonder if Sid and Geno would put a stop to things and try and reign Phil back in... They know what he's really worth.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Madden is a total moron. I wouldn't believe him if he told me I had a blue shirt on, and I knew I did. Lived in Pittsburgh for several years and listened too this clown a few times and he made my skin crawl.

Ok, Madden is a moron. What do you think about Friedman though?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
he isn't wrong though. the leafs sold kessel at his lowest value and got quite little for him.

The big problem when the Leafs traded Kessel was he had a NTC clause that allowed him to pick 10 teams. That sort of hurts the potential value of teams that would offer more

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Andersen, despite his awful playoffs, has done more for the Leafs than Kessel ever did.
He's done more harm good compared to kessel. He allows terrible goals and gets out of position way too many times. He's also way too relaxed for a guy that plays in front of horrible defense. Kessel has one job and that's to produce. He has 6 point in 7 games for the leafs in 2013. That would have been the most for the squad this playoffs and last

Flamesjustwin

Oct 8, 2010
London ON
Just a thought.... what if we take out Sheary and add Maatta into the fold, would also adding Bennett offset the difference?

to Flames:
Kessel & Maatta
to Penguins:
Brodie, Frolik & Bennett

The Flames should not trade Bennett, once he gets his confidence he will be a force. We have a plethora of young D that need opportunity and two in Andersson and Kylington that are ready, Valimaki possibly as well so we don't need Matta. Keep it simple, Kessel for Brodie and Frolik.

Kasperi kapanen

Jul 23, 2014
The Flames should not trade Bennett, once he gets his confidence he will be a force. We have a plethora of young D that need opportunity and two in Andersson and Kylington that are ready, Valimaki possibly as well so we don't need Matta. Keep it simple, Kessel for Brodie and Frolik.

If Brodie was better defensively then this would be a decent deal, but he’s not that good defensively so no. Calgary doesn’t really have anything interesting outside of Tkachuk.

Chili Goal

Professor of Goonism
May 27, 2009
Ok, Madden is a moron. What do you think about Friedman though?

also a moron.

there are few scenarios where a Kessel trade makes the Pens better in the near term. and that's all they care about ATM (as well they should). Sullivan is no dummy, and neither is Rutherford. Kessel makes this team infinitely more dangerous, and they'll keep him around for another run, maybe two.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Keep him for another run, then they can trade when Guentzel needs a contract(becomes part of the big 3) and we see what we have in Sprong, who if pans out will get paid eventually as well. So a trade will have to happen eventually, I just wouldnt do it this year.

Especially not for any of these proposals. Not one in here even close. Frolik? Maybe as a 3rd piece.

Reactions: Freedom

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad