Mark Lazerus calls out "hating" fans

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
None of us knows Toews personally ... we can only assume based upon the facts we know.
We know he has had multiple concussions ( somewhere in the 2 - 4 range sound right? )
We know he has changed his diet and training regimen.
We know he has played a lot of tough minutes through the past 9 years ( that's a lot of minutes )
We know he is a winner and competitor ( as evidenced through his entire career )

I can't buy the "he took the foot of the gas after getting the big payday" argument but that's just me and my faith in the human spirit!

A Vancouver fan posted on the main board re Jonathon Toews thread " In my opinion, Toews has the body of a guy in his late 30’s or even early 40’s. Think about how much hockey this guy ha played since 2009."

I think it's a combination of his diet change and the hard miles he has put in plus the intangibles of some repeated head trauma .... there that should pretty much cover all the bases!

...and then the Hossa comparable throws a wrench into that, considering Hossa went through much of the same Toews did in almost every respect (plus 2 more SCF runs), and was older to boot.

Except for the diet change. :)

But seriously if anything that should give us hope Toews could bounce back, but maybe not as *the* guy. If he is what he is then we shouldn't be pigeonholing him into a role he can no longer full. Ditto with the rest of the core. Start auditioning the youth. We start losing? fine, we get a higher draft puck which could fill a void.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Lazerus wants us to "Lament" the decline in performance of key core vets rather than "hate" the culprits ...OK. .so alk you Blackhawks fans shoukd get out your Bibles and look up Lamentations 3 v.1-24 ..it perfectly simms up how we feel and I am sure how tge underpetformong core vets feel in this shadow of gloom that has descended upon them and their play.
Yes LAZ we can sympathize in misery ...but still ...moping and lamenting get you nowhere...What needs to hapoen to change this affliction? CAN IT be internally changed by mere attitude and will ..or must the deep cuts and total Re-Build provide the only way back to the light?

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
...and then the Hossa comparable throws a wrench into that, considering Hossa went through much of the same Toews did in almost every respect (plus 2 more SCF runs), and was older to boot.

Except for the diet change. :)

But seriously if anything that should give us hope Toews could bounce back, but maybe not as *the* guy. If he is what he is then we shouldn't be pigeonholing him into a role he can no longer full. Ditto with the rest of the core. Start auditioning the youth. We start losing? fine, we get a higher draft puck which could fill a void.
I don't have any concrete data to back this up but I don't see where Hossa has suffered the same head trauma that Toews has. Hoss also plays wing which is a less physical position for the most part and Hossa tended to shy away from being a heavy player. Don't get me wrong as Hoss is and was a warrior and we miss him terribly but I still see Toews as having tougher minutes overall during the past 9 years. ( even with being on the same line primarily )

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I don't have any concrete data to back this up but I don't see where Hossa has suffered the same head trauma that Toews has. Hoss also plays wing which is a less physical position for the most part and Hossa tended to shy away from being a heavy player. Don't get me wrong as Hoss is and was a warrior and we miss him terribly but I still see Toews as having tougher minutes overall during the past 9 years. ( even with being on the same line primarily )

:huh:

Hoss was the one bangin on the boards and in the corners every time he was on the ice, doing the dirty work for his linemates, and he took, and dished out numerous big hits throughout his career. And I don't see wings as being a less physical position. At all.

And shying away from being a heavy player? Saying that is a disservice to Hossa. He played heavy every single game, IMO. He was one of the strongest/toughest/"heaviest" players on this team through his years. Ask any guy who had to battle him in a corner or on the boards if he played heavy or not. I have a feeling I know what they would say. ;)

Last edited:

dk2k

recovering cynic
Jul 5, 2017
At the end of the day Laz wants to portray Toews and others as some "Victim" because people are frustrated and angry about what they are watching its going to happen no matter how laughable it is

Guess what Laz people have enough things going wrong in own lives that they treat sports like an escape. And to see such a worthless effort put forth by someone like Toews and then demand people just accept it and feel privileged to watch it is asinine

I feel so sorry that Johnny was gifted an absurd contract and gets to enjoy a life 99.9% of people can only dream of. It is truly one of the most tragic events in human history

We should all applaud Johnny and Brent for the struggle they go thru daily to then make it onto ice

My god I couldn't imagine what it is like to leave a nice comfortable mansion to be bothered with showing up for 20 minutes on ice and doing nothing

Truly an unrealistic expectation to think someone who wears the C and is supposed to be leader would lead by example and put forth something remotely resembling effort out on ice

Its not that hard ,, Guys in leagues at lowest levels of competition who make very little $ and have actual jobs away from arena to care for families put forth an honest effort when playing a "Game"

If people like Laz believe its expecting to much to put in an honest effort at your job that says everything that is wrong with this world

Eight paragraphs of entitlement bookended with “that says everything that is wrong with this world”. Please tell me this is satire.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
:huh:

Hoss was the one bangin on the boards and in the corners every time he was on the ice, doing the dirty work for his linemates, and he took, and dished out numerous big hits throughout his career. And I don't see wings as being a less physical position. At all.

And shying away from being a heavy player? Saying that is a disservice to Hossa. He played heavy every single game, IMO. He was one of the strongest/toughest/"heaviest" players on this team through his years. Ask any guy who had to battle him in a corner or on the boards if he played heavy or not. I have a feeling I know what they would say. ;)
I'm just trying to find the logic to Toews' decline and you brought up Hossa which is a good point to consider give they played on the same line and Hoss is a good 5 years older or so ...
I do think however though some wingers do play physical ( not Kaner! ) and Hoss did battle like a true warrior I still think the center takes a little more abuse in front of the net with in particular cross checks to the shoulders & neck/head. That repeated abuse on the spine and nervous system will take it's toll. I just seem to recall Hossa playing less heavy meaning he didn't go crashing into the boards at every opportunity ... don't get me wrong as he is a battler but he played smart as he knew how to play hard without risking his longevity.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I'm just trying to find the logic to Toews' decline and you brought up Hossa which is a good point to consider give they played on the same line and Hoss is a good 5 years older or so ...
I do think however though some wingers do play physical ( not Kaner! ) and Hoss did battle like a true warrior I still think the center takes a little more abuse in front of the net with in particular cross checks to the shoulders & neck/head. That repeated abuse on the spine and nervous system will take it's toll. I just seem to recall Hossa playing less heavy meaning he didn't go crashing into the boards at every opportunity ... don't get me wrong as he is a battler but he played smart as he knew how to play hard without risking his longevity.

Hossa is also a physical freak that spent a lot of time working out, IIRC. He was probably one of the most jacked guys on the Hawks. Even comparing him to the younger kids, he was shredded.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Maybe there is a chance that Toews like the rest of the team need a new system. If this is the case the team should bounce back. Systems are so huge.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Maybe there is a chance that Toews like the rest of the team need a new system. If this is the case the team should bounce back. Systems are so huge.

Quite possible. I like to believe it will help a lot.
As players age, you need to build and design things to play to their strengths, because those strengths change over time.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Quite possible. I like to believe it will help a lot.
As players age, you need to build and design things to play to their strengths, because those strengths change over time.

I am not saying it will fix everything but this 30 game spurts of great play we see from him implies that he still has the ability.

Q helped make Toews a great two way player but now I think he has neutered him a lot.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Agreed. I can think of more than a handful of offenders on this board, and it seems like new offenders are joining.

I know I have grammatical errors on a regular basis ("double past tense" is my biggest issue) but some people don't even try.

HF50 does not could because I am fairly sure he has everyone on block and thinks this is a blog.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

ProphetofthePuck

Dec 2, 2017
What do you mean?
i mean if you do not like Major Lazer's content ...Write the editor .....Last time i checked a guy named DeLuca ..... In terms of giving the Blackhawks a pass , i already did , personal reasons relating to the same viciousness Lazer spoke of .... Viciousness that many times got put on some fan player or writer ...... That's my choice .....Everyone should have an opinion to follow ..... The outrage justified ......
Here is the thing ......Lot of this Defend the core lot of this dont pick on them ........ to me it comes across as " see i defended you guys" or " i said something nice , tell the Blackhawks i said that" Crazy as it sounds lot of us fans use statements to gain favor ... Joke yea .....

that recent post "
swincup said:
At the end of the day Laz wants to portray Toews and others as some "Victim" because people are frustrated and angry about what they are watching its going to happen no matter how laughable it is

Guess what Laz people have enough things going wrong in own lives that they treat sports like an escape. And to see such a worthless effort put forth by someone like Toews and then demand people just accept it and feel privileged to watch it is asinine

I feel so sorry that Johnny was gifted an absurd contract and gets to enjoy a life 99.9% of people can only dream of. It is truly one of the most tragic events in human history

We should all applaud Johnny and Brent for the struggle they go thru daily to then make it onto ice

My god I couldn't imagine what it is like to leave a nice comfortable mansion to be bothered with showing up for 20 minutes on ice and doing nothing

Truly an unrealistic expectation to think someone who wears the C and is supposed to be leader would lead by example and put forth something remotely resembling effort out on ice

Its not that hard ,, Guys in leagues at lowest levels of competition who make very little $ and have actual jobs away from arena to care for families put forth an honest effort when playing a "Game"

If people like Laz believe its expecting to much to put in an honest effort at your job that says everything that is wrong with this world"

Well apples and oranges ......If you want to conspiracy theory ....they are raising ticket prices with the idea of if you have to sell missed games you should not be a season ticket holder ......
Continuing the rant....... i cannot tell you how many times i went to some event , and had to tell them "um you are suppose to look at the person you are signing for or shaking hands with" TO EVERYONES SHOCK ....many circumstances like that ...yea they got pissed off but the criticism was sound ......like i wrote the front office many times ...the paying customer must be the priority ..sadly not the blogger​

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I am not saying it will fix everything but this 30 game spurts of great play we see from him implies that he still has the ability.

Q helped make Toews a great two way player but now I think he has neutered him a lot.

What do you think about putting him with DeBrincat and Kane for the rest of the season, and allow him to focus on being an offensive playmaker, rather than playing the prime shutdown role?

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
What do you think about putting him with DeBrincat and Kane for the rest of the season, and allow him to focus on being an offensive playmaker, rather than playing the prime shutdown role?

Unless the system changes I don't think it will help much. Toews is loyal to Q (rightfully so) so I don't think he will change away from Q's system and assignments. Honestly it might force him further into defense focus mode because Kane can get pretty loose (I think Cat has been impressive defensively considering what people thought he would be).

I would roll these lines after the TD.

20-19-91
12-8-88
DS-64-48 (I think Hino drives this line)
13-Garbage-Garbage

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
And it's confirmed. We have another Fiddy... just with better spelling and punctuation.

upload_2018-2-13_13-23-32.jpeg

ProphetofthePuck

Dec 2, 2017
If you expect people read what you write then you should have the common courtesy to at least try to spell and punctuate correctly. Seems like common sense to me...
no offense to the this boards Fans council , lol want people to read ..........are you serious ...half this stuff is written to blow of steam ........Rest assured most posters like twitter ......type for their own head not so anyone reads it ....
no offense gents

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
no offense to the this boards Fans council , lol want people to read ..........are you serious ...half this stuff is written to blow of steam ........Rest assured most posters like twitter ......type for their own head not so anyone reads it ....
no offense gents

Go back to Twitter?

I can blow off steam with proper english and punctuation and so can most adults.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad