Mark Lazerus calls out "hating" fans

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
They aren't. Jim C used to post at the 300 level and so did BWC. Completely different styles. Jim C hated everything while BWC has his pets that he loves.
Jim C was at least entertaining to read, he was almost like a character.

I remember when people at the 300 Level became aware BWC started posting there... everyone was so depressed.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
The very fact that Laz who's viewed as nothing but a company shill at this point has audacity to attack any Hawk fans or question fandom of that person because he doesn't like them having an opinion that drastically differs from him is issue

If he was some respected reporter who actually does his job instead of writing fluff pieces and never asking a difficult question maybe people wouldn't be so riled up by his tweets and nonsense

Don't question fans and there fandom which is what he is doing here no matter how you want to spin it

Don't tell fans how they are supposed to feel when watching a disgraceful performance by Toews out there. Don't tell fans they have no right to be angry or annoyed to watch someone they for years supported and cheered play the gutless way he is

Kane makes 10.5M like Toews and looks like he gives a damn while going out and doing his job. Its not a major demand from fans to expect Toews to show the same level of commitment out there

This BS about how Toews should get pass and feel no wrath from fans is same nonsense Laz and others push when it comes to booing teams

If your team is trash and your more concerned or outraged that the fans would dare boo or not show up then the effort on ice from so called face of franchise. That is a problem

Again at end of day a shill who does nothing but spin things for franchise coming out and attacking fanbase is bull****

And its always wonderful when people like Laz act like fans he doesn't like are some "New fans' or "Bandwagon fans' who weren't with team thru bad years

I remember the crap years and stuff like watching a bum like Andrei Trefilov finding way onto roster despite his ****ty work ethic and conditioning in Buffalo and thru his entire career (The perfect example of the stereotype of the lazy Russian)

Laz would be preaching how we should applaud Andrei for his efforts to fit in his jersey and not fall over while in crease if he was on this years squad
I honestly think sports aren't good for your mental health, you should try and find a different form of entertainment.

Gurth

Feb 22, 2010
Madison
What he tweeted about is a huge part of the reason that I rarely read or post here anymore.

It's tiring.

Even while we were winning Cups, there were fans hating on this player or that.

Players who turned out to be instrumental in winning those Cups.

The vitriol aimed at Toews by more than just BWC around here over the past few seasons is disgusting.

You honestly believe he's not trying or doesn't care?

How many were destroying Bicks? Look how that turned out.

How many were always saying we could win with literally almost any other goalie? Still feel that way? Have you seen Darling's numbers this season?

We all get old. We all lose what we once had.

Some get sick.

Try to show a little grace and gratitude as a sports fan.

Last edited:

Ace Rothstein

Aces High
Mar 13, 2012
Jim C was at least entertaining to read, he was almost like a character.

I remember when people at the 300 Level became aware BWC started posting there... everyone was so depressed.
I never posted at the 300 Level but I miss reading it. Did all those posters go somewhere else? That was the only place to get Hawks news during the dark ages.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
What he tweeted about is a huge part of the reason that I rarely read or post here anymore.

It's tiring.

Even while we were winning Cups, there were fans hating on this player or that.

Players who turned out to be instrumental in winning those Cups.

The vitriol aimed at Toews by more than just Dis around here over the past few seasons is disgusting.

How many were always saying we could win with literally almost any other goalie? Still feel that way? Have you seen Darling's numbers this season?

We all get old. We all lose what we once had.

Some get sick.

Try to show a little grace and gratitude as a sports fan.

I honestly think that if someone came to these boards or to Twitter with zero knowledge about what we did from 2010-2015, they'd assume that those vitriolic folks were fans of a team that underwent just an incredibly period of utter garbage to be so angry. Like four straight championship losses or perennially no showing in the playoffs or even a playoff drought lasting a decade.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
WTF is wrong with you?

Yes there are people in this world deserve hate and sports stars are not on that list (unless you add the Rae Carruth or Darren Sharper).

You need help if you are this angry.

He's a lunatic if he's actually serious, but part of me feels like it's just a bit.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
As far as the Jim C, BWC thing is concerned, absolutely not. Jim C pretty much abhorred BWC on the 300level. As did everyone else there...

Ignore.
Them.
Please.

Look at how many posts, just in this thread, were wasted on them.... I can't believe people can even consider wasting that amount of time and energy acknowledging them.

Reactions: jls24 and RayP

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
Some thoughts to consider...

Rarely is ones input completely void of merit. The mature thing to do is take what was said and filter out what is less than reasonable and latch on to what is reasonable.

lazerus has some points. No need to get personal with players or management. No need to get mean or insulting. He is correct in inferring that there is run away incivility, unwarranted presumption and out-of-control entitlement in fan bases (Hawks fans and others). things such as players not trying hard is baseless --- and the notion that following sports should be fun, not frustrating --- these are all valid points.

Now... what is as well true is that complaining is therapeutic --- that people enjoy to complain b/c it makes them feel superior and places them in their own eyes as a judge/ a superior/ an expert. And so, in many respects, the internet posting sites exist for frustrated people in general to complain and vent (and thus feel better about themselves). And so it is, fan sites are filled with people frustrated with their lives getting a strange therapeutic sense of validation by judging others. So.. Laz likely knows this --- we all should. And so... Laz should pretty much expect what he has observed. So... he should not be surprised (and I think he is not) --- but he can still be disappointed.

Anyway... the man has some points to be sure. Some say if Laz does not like it, then do not access those sites. True. But... maybe he has a bigger picture in view and is hopeful that his input will cause some to think and modify their behavior and make things better. i assume that was his goal. If so, good for him.

anyway...

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008

The vitriol aimed at Toews by more than just BWC around here over the past few seasons is disgusting.

If Toews is trying or cares then just what is his problem? Washed up at 27, 28 or 29?

Bickell got sick, we get it and have sympathy. Bickell was a lazy player who only turned it on come contract extension time, anything else is revisionist history.

Literally almost any other goalie didn't mean a 32 year old minor league journeyman or a guy coming into the season with 10 NHL games under his belt and a save %,.900.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
you really think Toews lost ALL his Focus and doesn't care anymore? Really?
you should know that not every style is the same and some bodies take more toll than others. The way Toews played we all knew that when his decline starts, it will go faster than the decline of a guy like Kane. It just happens earlier than expected.
I also think that a Major shakeup like promised after last Season would help the whole Team.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
Like anything, the truth is always somewhere in the middle.

Are some fans psychotic yes? Is it a small sample size? Yes. We live in a social media world. A world where people on Twitter, on forums, etc, can be anonymous and a) say things they would never say in real life and b) exaggerate and aggrandize to get a rise out of people. That can be anything from racist comments to over the top threats. Hell, just yesterday we had some psycho send a white powder in an envelope to the home of DJT Jr. - his wife wound up opening it and being taken to the hospital. This in a home with 5 - FIVE - young children. All because some guy doesn't like the father of the guy he sent the letter to?

I think it also has to do with the size of population. We always hear 'well, we didn't have X, Y and Z happen when I was a kid'. Well, we didn't have as many people. More people = more crazies. Here in the States, the population in 1985 was 238M. The projection for 2018 is 331m - then depending on which numbers you believe, we have 11-30M 'undocumented' people here, so we effectively have @ 350M people in this country. That's 110M more than @ 30 years ago. Hell, there are only 10 countries on the planet with more than 110M people. We've effectively added the population of Japan in the last 30 years!! Or if you like, the combined populations of Canada, Australia and Italy!

What's that mean? More people plus more social media, more anonymity and less accountability - more crazies.

Regardless, I find his rant to be completely unprofessional. As a journalist, your job is to ask hard questions and get to the meat. Anyone can report the easy talking points. Hell, we are seeing deep investigative stuff being done by amateur internet journalists using Google and no fancy Northwestern or Columbia journalism degrees.

It's especially unprofessional if Lazarus did say the things about the Bears/Cutler as alluded to.

My guess is that these reporters get to know the athletes VERY well over the years of covering them. How can you not? I have a friend who worked in PR for the Cubs for years and her now husband worked in security. She became VERY VERY good friends with many of them and her maid of honor at her wedding was a former girlfriend of one of the players. Another friend of ours has a lovely dining room table set in his house - that he purchased off of Brian McRae when he was traded from the Cubs to the Mets. He was looking to sell stuff off when he moved and she put our other friend in touch with him.

Why do I say that? My guess is that Lazarus knows these guys very well and took it personally...which is not a good look for an objective reporter that should be asking the hard questions to Q and management. I get it - it's Hockey - you won't get answers, but you have to try.

The lack of real journalism work done by the sports reporters on the Crow injury is damning. The season - which was iffy from the start - officially tanked when Crow went out. 'As Crow goes, so goes this season' is the mantra - and I can't recall ANY 'insider' getting an info outside of a small blurb from Zawaski a couple of weeks ago.

Reactions: LDF

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
Couple of other points:

- I said early on this was a team that wasn't going to make the playoffs. Too many holes - major question marks on D, lack of depth at F, issues at backup goalie, the expected decline of Toews (I didn't expect Saad to be his magic elixir), the loss of Panarin and what that would do for one of the most dynamic scoring lines in the NHL, ST issues and most notably, the other teams in the West improving - particularly Dallas with Bishop in net (although I didn't expect Vegas/WPG, but I also expected EDM to be in the mix).

- We've obviously seen the worst. But the key here is that this major slide all started when Crow went down. Yes, the team was iffy and Toews was bad, but Forsling was solid, Saad had a reasonable number of points, etc. Crow goes down and the team went to hell. The backup goaltending has been god-awful. There are two guys minding net who simply are not, nor will they ever be after this season, NHL goalies. Add the bad D in front of it and lazy effort by forwards, and we see the result.

- The mismanagement by Q on a number of fronts is baffling. We can go on and on about the PP system, but look at some of the roster and line decisions - insane. Kepmny continually in the box and Oesterle - who is a disaster on D - is playing first pairing minutes on his off side. He's been a mess and cost the Hawks at least two goals directly last night. Then we look at Cat. This kid is the natural replacement for Panarin - an absolute no brainer to be on the Kane/Schmaltz line. Has he played there at all this season? 20G so far. Kid would have 27-28 if he was playing on Kane's line. Instead Q has his playing with 3rd line plugs including, last night, Bouma and Wingels. Think about that - the Hawks best scorer outside of Kane and he's playing with two guys who should be waived. I'd love to see a stat about how many games Cat has played on a line with guys who have been healthy scratches in other games. Yeah, Schmaltz can't win a FO at center on that line, but Anisimov can't either. And he's got 1 goal in his last 16 games.

The Q assessment is hard. Kinda like the Phil Jackson assessment. Easy to win when you have Michael and Scottie and then Shaq and Kobe. I think a number of NHL coaches would have won Cups with the Core (ok, not Boudreau), but the key is the performance when the chips are down. I've seen enough baffling roster and line decisions, but more importantly, the handling of younger or 'not his guy' players. The (mis) handling of Daley told me a lot.

- We also look at Hino. One of the fastest skaters in the league in a speed league on a team that is dying for speed. Buried in Rockford for 40 games. Has nice chemistry on the first line. Keep him there? No, move him down to the 4th line so Duclair - a guy who has looked anywhere from meh to terrible, can play on the worthless first line.

- Back to Toews. It's speculation about concussions, or backs or effort. What we do know is that his diet DID change. The play seems to have changed when the diet changed. It seems taboo to question his 'heart'. Why? The number of athletes who had to stop playing because of concussions is a small list. The list of athletes who took their foot off the gas after getting the big payday is long. Why can't people fathom that the effort simply might not be there? We are seeing a lot of evidence of it - best case in point was that complete lack of effort on that OT goal.

- Fans - oh and back to the crazies. The word 'fan' doesn't come from 'fantastic' - it comes from 'fanatic'. Keep that in mind! ;)

Reactions: LDF and jls24

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
- Back to Toews. It's speculation about concussions, or backs or effort. What we do know is that his diet DID change. The play seems to have changed when the diet changed. It seems taboo to question his 'heart'. Why? The number of athletes who had to stop playing because of concussions is a small list. The list of athletes who took their foot off the gas after getting the big payday is long. Why can't people fathom that the effort simply might not be there? We are seeing a lot of evidence of it - best case in point was that complete lack of effort on that OT goal.

- Fans - oh and back to the crazies. The word 'fan' doesn't come from 'fantastic' - it comes from 'fanatic'. Keep that in mind! ;)
None of us knows Toews personally ... we can only assume based upon the facts we know.
We know he has had multiple concussions ( somewhere in the 2 - 4 range sound right? )
We know he has changed his diet and training regimen.
We know he has played a lot of tough minutes through the past 9 years ( that's a lot of minutes )
We know he is a winner and competitor ( as evidenced through his entire career )

I can't buy the "he took the foot of the gas after getting the big payday" argument but that's just me and my faith in the human spirit!

A Vancouver fan posted on the main board re Jonathon Toews thread " In my opinion, Toews has the body of a guy in his late 30’s or even early 40’s. Think about how much hockey this guy ha played since 2009."

I think it's a combination of his diet change and the hard miles he has put in plus the intangibles of some repeated head trauma .... there that should pretty much cover all the bases!

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
As far as the Jim C, BWC thing is concerned, absolutely not. Jim C pretty much abhorred BWC on the 300level. As did everyone else there...

Ignore.
Them.
Please.

Look at how many posts, just in this thread, were wasted on them.... I can't believe people can even consider wasting that amount of time and energy acknowledging them.

This advice really needs to be heeded. Legitimately.

Reactions: RayP and ChiHawks10

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
None of us knows Toews personally ... we can only assume based upon the facts we know.
We know he has had multiple concussions ( somewhere in the 2 - 4 range sound right? )
We know he has changed his diet and training regimen.
We know he has played a lot of tough minutes through the past 9 years ( that's a lot of minutes )
We know he is a winner and competitor ( as evidenced through his entire career )

I can't buy the "he took the foot of the gas after getting the big payday" argument but that's just me and my faith in the human spirit!

A Vancouver fan posted on the main board re Jonathon Toews thread " In my opinion, Toews has the body of a guy in his late 30’s or even early 40’s. Think about how much hockey this guy ha played since 2009."

I think it's a combination of his diet change and the hard miles he has put in plus the intangibles of some repeated head trauma .... there that should pretty much cover all the bases!
this is a great post of very interesting news. as far as i remember, i think someone on this site mention this last summer. i wish i remember who it was. but this sounds very plausible.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
This advice really needs to be heeded. Legitimately.
the thing is, why go thru all the trouble to do this. just pass over what anyone doesn't like ...... no one has a gun to anyone head forcing them to read their post, let alone respond to them.

beside every once in a while they may bring up something in someone response.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
the thing is, why go thru all the trouble to do this. just pass over what anyone doesn't like ...... no one has a gun to anyone head forcing them to read their post, let alone respond to them.

beside every once in a while they may bring up something in someone response.

It's not trouble. Click their name. Click ignore. Two mouse clicks. No trouble at all.

There are people with such ridiculously stupid takes on here... that I don't care if they make a good point once every 1000 posts. I don't want to read their stupidity the other 999 posts, if I can avoid it.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
It's not trouble. Click their name. Click ignore. Two mouse clicks. No trouble at all.

There are people with such ridiculously stupid takes on here... that I don't care if they make a good point once every 1000 posts. I don't want to read their stupidity the other 999 posts, if I can avoid it.

Crap, you didn't give me a heads up this is starting up again. I didn't even have time to pop a bag popcorn.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad