Confirmed with Link: Mark Jankowski signs ELC

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Very happy. This is a big relief after a few days of suspense. Seems like Treliving is a master arm-wrestler just like we expected.

If I wasn't at work, I'd photoshop Tre's head on this :laugh:

action-man.gif

Maybe tonight before the game.

Last edited:

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
You may want to taper those expectations if 2C is a low end for you :laugh:

Could have worded it better - but essentially I mean if he becomes a 2C on the low end, I'll be happy. I don't necessarily think he will reach that as I have some doubts about him - but I could see him turning into a 2C if things go well.

My prediction:

Best Case - 1-2C
Middle ground 2-3C
Worst - Bust

I see him as a strong defensive prospect who might be able to put up 30-40 points a season (ala a better Backlund).

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
I've always thought pretty highly of Jankowski. I just thought he would take a while to develop. Not dissimilar to how Blake Wheeler developed.

Big man, took a while to figure it all out. First round pick who went higher then expected.

Now Janko will be a C men rather then a winger (Wheeler) but that is also ultimately more valuable to the team.

I think the idea of a Couturier, Jordan Staal isn't that far fetched.

If Janko can become about as good as a Backlund defensively while being a 6'4" beast with 15-25-40 potential that is a very good player in today's day and age. In 1988 that's a 30-45-75 type player.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Tfw you're Feaster and your biggest criticism gets signed to an NHL contract

obama_kicks_door.gif

This was so on point, well done! :laugh:

Congrats to Janko and the Flames. It's impossible to see this as anything but a good thing for the Flames. This is a homegrown asset, that has the potential to be a quality NHL player and fill a massive hole for us in the process. Janko is a better prospect than both Poirier and Klimchuk and has an opportunity to be more impactful at the NHL level. I think he has better upside than Colborne and all things considered, his game in theory should translate quite well. Say what you want about Ferland, but I always thought he would be an NHL'er because of his physical tools and I think Janko has quite a bit more to offer.

I'm super excited about this!

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
and I wouldn't be surprised with 20 goals 35 assists and 55 points which at 6'4" could become a major asset to the Flames in the Western Conference.

Between

Monahan
Bennett
Backlund
Jankowski

we are deeeeeep at C.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
and I wouldn't be surprised with 20 goals 35 assists and 55 points which at 6'4" could become a major asset to the Flames in the Western Conference.

Between

Monahan
Bennett
Backlund
Jankowski

we are deeeeeep at C.

Where's Matthews? :sarcasm:

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Can't wait to see the great Jankowski in a game.

being just a little flippant. mildly curious would be better.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Feaster made the asinine 'best player' comment but Weisbrod was the real proponent behind the Jankowski pick. Recall that they were thinking about trading the first until Button suggested Weisbrod watch Jankowski in action, after which he was his biggest fan. Feaster's lack of scouting talent forced him to put the scouting staff/Weisbrod in charge to largely excellent results.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

Between

Monahan
Bennett
Backlund
Jankowski

we are deeeeeep at C.

Yep, and when you're deep at center you can move centers to wing like the Sharks:

2017-18 Flames:

Backlund-Bennett-Laine (Our answer to the Capitals top line)
Gaudreau-Jankowski-Monahan (Modern day Alfredson-Spezza-Heatley, #50in18 for Monny)
Shinkaruk-Grant-Frolik
Ferland-Hamilton-Hathaway (We'll call it the Boom! line)
Bouma/Stajan

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Yep, and when you're deep at center you can move centers to wing like the Sharks:

2017-18 Flames:

Backlund-Bennett-Laine (Our answer to the Capitals top line)
Gaudreau-Jankowski-Monahan (Modern day Alfredson-Spezza-Heatley, #50in18 for Monny)
Shinkaruk-Hamilton-Poirier (Okay, dunno if Freddie is worthy)
Ferland-Grant-Hathaway (We'll call it the Boom! line)
Bouma/Stajan

I can't see moving both Backlund and Monahan to the wing, if anything I think Bennett is the most likely.

moon*

Backlund who has struggled his whole career to put up 40 points is going to be our top line LWer and Monahan who has excelled in his first 3 years in the NHL as a center loses his spot to a mediocre college player that could barely put up a PPG pace as a Senior?

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I agree, Bennett has to stay at centre. If Jankowski pans out, he'll either replace Backlund (who will sadly be too expensive to re-sign) on the third line or centre Backlund who decided to take a hometown discount to play wing here.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
But Bennett is the best center we have. He's amazing at center, did you see him against the Coyotes just knock his man down and take the puck away? He can't do that on the wing.

He is also the best of them at the wing. Its a nice problem to have but I think Janko means Backlund gets moved if he works out.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
He is also the best of them at the wing. Its a nice problem to have but I think Janko means Backlund gets moved if he works out.

Why would you move out Backlund? He has great chemistry with Sam Bennett and can be the "Saad" on that line. He's played LW before, in Europe and in international competition, so it's not foreign to him.

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
2017/2018

Shinkaruk - Monahan - Puljujarvi
Gaudreau - Jankowski - Bennett
Poirier - Backlund - Frolik
Ferland - Hamilton - Hathaway

Is my dream line up

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I see him as a strong defensive prospect who might be able to put up 30-40 points a season (ala a better Backlund).

That would basically be exactly Backlund. People seem to forget every year that Backlund has been a 0.50+ point/game player for three years straight. He's a perfect third line centre, and he's a capable 2nd line centre as well (he'd be perfect for that if his offensive production was a smidge higher).

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Yes I know that but trading him could return a nice package that could help this team out more in the long run then letting him walk that offseason.

We might have a shot at a deep, deep playoff run in 2017-18. We won't be worrying about pending UFAs, in fact we can almost treat Backlund as a free deadline rental.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad