Confirmed with Link: Mark Jankowski signs ELC

TkachuckNotTkaczuk

Jan 21, 2015
Seattle
I can't see moving both Backlund and Monahan to the wing, if anything I think Bennett is the most likely.

Yeah I agree, Bennett has the speed and agressiveness that would translate to wing more than Monahan. Monahan is doing so well at centre and really Bennett can't think of a switch to wing a demotion in any sense of the word. It is a matter of getting as much talent into that lineup and figuring out who has chemistry etc.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Well that depends on our goaltending and at this point I'd say its more likely we trade him then don't.

I will be shocked if we're not a playoff team in 2017-18. We have a ton of cap space after 2016-17, and all our core should be in their primes except for Bennett (21, might start hitting his prime at the end of the year) and Jankowski (should be his rookie season at 23, but will probably be functionally in his prime by the end of the year).

Last edited:

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016
I wasn't worried about him pulling a Schultz but it's definitely nice to have him signed. I wonder if it was the Flames or if it was Janko's camp that pushed for the contract to kick in next season? Or maybe both?
Works out good for him I'd say, gives him another pro season to use as a stepping block to his first RFA deal.

moon*

I would think it was that Flames that pushed for it to start next year.

Not much benefit to the Flames to burn a year this year or for Jankowski to not burn a year.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I wasn't worried about him pulling a Schultz but it's definitely nice to have him signed. I wonder if it was the Flames or if it was Janko's camp that pushed for the contract to kick in next season? Or maybe both?
Works out good for him I'd say, gives him another pro season to use as a stepping block to his first RFA deal.

The Flames repeatedly stated that it was there preference for him to start in the AHL this season, not the NHL. So they definitely wanted that. We don't really know if that was a sticking point for negotiations, or if it really was just about bonus structure. It's entirely possible that Jankowski did not feel ready for the NHL yet and was perfectly happy to start in the AHL.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I will be shocked if we're not a playoff team in 2017-18. We have a ton of cap space after 2016-17, and all our core should be in their primes except for Bennett (21, might start hitting his prime at the end of the year) and Jankowski (should be his rookie season at 23, but will probably be functionally in his prime by the end of the year).

Yea I expect us to be a playoff team too but that doesn't mean I think we will be a top contender so I wouldn't rule out trading Backlund. Again its a great problem to have.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I expect us to be a playoff team plus or minus Jankowski.
With semi competent goaltending, we've been in every game (minus the Hiller/2nd Backstrom start) over the past month or winning it.

Janko's still way far off projecting him as a star for this team, let alone replacing Backlund or shifting Bennett or Monahan to the wing. Let's give him an entire year in the AHL and then go from there. He's shown some good ability at rookie camp; but in essence you're playing again walk-ons and 2nd+ rounders.

One step at a time folks. If the management team thinks he needs seasoning still, I doubt he's going to be an easy walk-on next year or the year after. He's got a lot of competition, including this years 1st rounder and guys that are developing like him.

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
It's a shame we won't see Janko in the NHL this year.

But I think he can be an impact for Stockton down the stretch.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I've made my views on Janko pretty clear, so this being done gives me this feeling that can only be described in the CFHF way.....

200.gif

200.gif

200.gif

200.gif

200.gif

200.gif

200.gif

200.gif

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I heard the Flames wanted to avoid signing Janko this year in case there was an expansion draft in two years so they wouldn't lose him. And they both mutually agreed because Janko didn't want to end up on an expansion team.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Those were my thoughts too. The Flames are an up and coming team, I'm sure Janko didn't want to risk getting claimed by a crap team so it makes sense that he agreed to that deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad