Confirmed with Link: Mark Jankowski signs ELC

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

Hopefully this thread will become a "confirmed with link" thread at some point in the next few days. :laugh:

As much as it sucks for Janko to lose so early, it's probably the best thing for the Flames. Gives them as much leverage as possible. If he'd won the championship again, they'd be able to offer him 0 NHL games this year due to missing the playoffs.

Last edited:

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Might as well re-post this here:
Would expect Jankowski to be signed within the week and debut shortly after. Something other than the Tank to look forward to.

Unless he's seriously injured in which it'll be the Gillies route with him.

Edit:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Wait, we were sold we were getting Joe 2.0. #Riot #DidCalgaryTradeHimtoVancouverYet #FeasterandWeisbrod4lyfe

But seriously; the kid had a good year. I think anyone with half a brain knew that team wasn't going to repeat, but Janko made positive steps.

Hope the Flames sign him; and he gets a few games this season to learn what it'll take to be a regular next season.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Jankowski will be the second coming of Paul Byron; bigger, softer and much more overrated.

Or who knows, maybe he puts the tools together and ends up as a poor man's Joe Thornton.

I'm guessing middle class Joe Colborne when it's all said and done

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
So.. you're expecting Joe Nieuwendyk 2.0?

I'm expecting a top two line, do-it-all center. Somewhere between a Travis Zajac or a Jason Spezza, not sure where on that spectrum he'll fall but somewhere on it. Maybe not Nieuwendyk but alas.

Still, Haynes didn't even have Mark as a top 14 prospect of this organization seven months ago. I'd take his opinion on the player with a grain of salt as anyone who's watched the kid play should have him at least as a top ten prospect even if you're not as confident as I am about his status as I am.

Regardless, nothing annoys me more regarding Jankowski, than having to see him compared to Joe Colborne. One is an incompetent center with IQ and quickness issues, the other is an excellent center with excellent IQ and good hockey quickness. It's as lazy and poor a comparision as Oilers fans were comparing Mikael Backlund to Anton Lander a year ago.

Last edited:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Have we ever had a more polarizing prospect? I just did a Janko 101 with my girlfriend and explained to her the love/hate with this kid.

She enjoyed it. My favourite part was my **** eating grin answering the questions:
"So, this Olli Mat kid, is he good?"

:laugh:

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Wait, we were sold we were getting Joe 2.0. #Riot #DidCalgaryTradeHimtoVancouverYet #FeasterandWeisbrod4lyfe

But seriously; the kid had a good year. I think anyone with half a brain knew that team wasn't going to repeat, but Janko made positive steps.

Hope the Flames sign him; and he gets a few games this season to learn what it'll take to be a regular next season.

Are you telling me he won't be the best Center in flames franchise history?

No point in even signing him then.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Thread should be retitled:
Janko Watch 2016.

Much more catchy.

There's actually folks out there who prefer the 2nd rounder next year; I'd prefer he signs so we can at least see what he can do against NHLers. I think I can speak for almost everyone, we can finally put the excuses and the theories to bed, and see what this kid can do with a few games. Let's see how he thinks the game, I know he'll probably be pretty 'meh' in his first few games, but I'd like to see what we have at least.

Get'er done Conny.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I dont think he is Joe Colborne 2.

I expect less. Hopefully I am wrong,

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
That's pretty alarming when it comes to Darren's credibility. :help:

Disagree.

Just skimmed through who he had ahead of him, and aside from Culkin and Arnold I agree on the other 12.

The most overrated prospect by 40% of the Flames fan base.

I've already posted why I think he isn't a great prospect (I don't see much offensive potential is the short version).

I hope he turns out and I eat crow, nothing would make me happier than if he becomes a legit player, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
Blake wheeler didn't put up blazing numbers in college either. Some big players just take a little bit longer to develop and grow into their big frames. It is also anther challenge to consistently utilize those big frames.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Disagree.

Just skimmed through who he had ahead of him, and aside from Culkin and Arnold I agree on the other 12.

The most overrated prospect by 40% of the Flames fan base.

I've already posted why I think he isn't a great prospect (I don't see much offensive potential is the short version).

I hope he turns out and I eat crow, nothing would make me happier than if he becomes a legit player, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

The issue is that when you're ranking prospects, it's important to consider potential and how the player has performed relative to expectations. If we're just considering initial expectations of Jankowski, he's a first rounder for some teams and a consensus second rounder league-wide, so he's a guy who at the time of his draft was pretty highly regarded in terms of potential. Given the various "late-bloomer" factors to him, Janko has met expectations almost to a T based on the path initially laid out for him.

There definitely aren't 14 guys with higher potential, and I don't think there are enough guys who have significantly bumped up their ceiling since their draft to put Janko at 15. I counted four guys who shouldn't even be in the conversation.

But beyond the simple ranking, you need to look at his rationale. He says "A year ago, he wouldn't have been on this list." That means that until last season, he was, like many, unable to reconcile the long-term nature of the project with the high potential. I really don't understand why it's a complicated thing for many. Janko has met expectations every single year, so there's no reason why last season or this season should have changed those expectations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad