Confirmed with Link: Mark Jankowski signs ELC

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
hard to argue that Mignola is really any less talented than Jankowski.

Uh, as a 21 year old, Trevor Mingoia was under a PPG in the USHL. As a 22 year old he put up less points on the same team than an 18 year old Jankowski did.

Jankowski's 21 year old season is better than any season Mingoia had aside from his 24 year old season, where he was Jankowski's linemate anyways and the two shared good chemistry.

moon*

Mignoia outscored him last year this year Jankowski fluked out a few more points than him. Mignoia a little older but considering how they both are that doesn't really matter.

Both are long shots to ever do anything of value at the NHL level so neither guy is really good enough to be twice as talented as the other.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
Mignoia outscored him last year this year Jankowski fluked out a few more points than him. Mignoia a little older but considering how they both are that doesn't really matter.

Both are long shots to ever do anything of value at the NHL level so neither guy is really good enough to be twice as talented as the other.

God, what a clueless post :laugh:

Jankowski is 2.5 years younger than Mignoia. You really don't think that's gonna matter?

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

In college, Jonathan Toews was outscored by Ryan Duncan.

I guess Ryan Duncan is as talented as Toews :laugh:

moon*

God, what a clueless post :laugh:

Jankowski is 2.5 years younger than Mignoia. You really don't think that's gonna matter?

Not really no.

If they were 18 and 16 yes. But this point they are both pretty much where they are likely going to end up. In fact for many NHLers 21-25 is the prime years of their careers, offensively at least.

moon*

In college, Jonathan Toews was outscored by Ryan Duncan.

I guess Ryan Duncan is as talented as Toews :laugh:

Toews had a background and talent set to indicate that there was more there. Jankowski has a history of being not good enough.

Also Toews did not stay at college for 4 years putting up meh numbers at best.

When Toews was Jankowski's age he had seasons of 68 and 69 points in the NHL as well as 13 points in 17 play-off games.

But you are right very comparable situations.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Not really no.

If they were 18 and 16 yes. But this point they are both pretty much where they are likely going to end up. In fact for many NHLers 21-25 is the prime years of their careers, offensively at least.

Some prospects might reach approximately their peak by 21, but they're rare, and Jankowski is and has always been a guy at the other extreme end of that spectrum. He's probably going to finish developing at some point beyond 25.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Toews had a background and talent set to indicate that there was more there. Jankowski has a history of being not good enough.

Jankowski has a history of being a first round pick in the NHL.

Not gonna respond to the rest of your nonsense as you seem to unable to reconcile that different players have different timelines in their development. Never mind the fact that Mingoia wasn't even in the league Jankowski is graduating from, when he was Jankowski's age now.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
We've already seen the Canadiens sign Parisi and the Devils sign Mingoia. Two guys who are not half as talented as Jankowski.

If you don't think nearly every team in the entire NHL is not lining up to sign Jankowski you're mistaken. He will field offers from a majority of NHL teams, as Hayes did two years ago. And the only losers will be us, because a 2017 2nd round pick for a 2012 1st round pick is a loss in a rebuild that started in 2013.

No, I'm just saying that prevailing opinion four years ago would not have been that Jankowski would become a highly sought-after free agent.

Again, this is exactly the development plan that was expected of Jankowski (other than there being here maybe a year sooner). Other teams being interested in him is, again, something that was also present at the draft, given teams were going to draft him. It doesn't mean that he has to be a top-flight prospect; indeed, at this point there are many people who don't see him as such.

The statement is that no one expected him to be leaving college with multiple teams interested in signing him. I'm wondering what part of leaving college with multiple teams interested he thinks is so surprising. Was it that he's leaving college after four years, and thus has the ability to sign with anyone on August whateverth? Everyone expected that. Was it that he's got multiple teams interested? They were at the draft, so unless his value dropped over his four years, of course they are. Having teams interested in you when you're leaving school isn't really remarkable. Teams bid over guys like van Brabant and Kenny Morrison- guys who are prospects but by no means top prospects.

So to say no one expected the current situation is just nonsense, in my opinion. This should have been the expectation all along. If literally everyone expected that Janko would leave school and be lucky to be offered a contract by one team, he would've been ranked way below where he was.

Most college free agents seem to get a handful of teams bidding for them; that's natural, and wouldn't have surprised anyone with Jankowski. What I think surprised people (comparing four years ago to now) is the possibility that he'd end up being one of the most sought-after college free agents if he didn't sign with Calgary. There's a huge middle ground between being lucky to sign with one team and having the entire league interested, and I think people expected Jankowski to be in that middle ground.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I do hope we get some news of the signing today. As I mentioned in the game thread yesterday, after wasting 4 years of development on a player; you really don't want a 2nd rounder as compensation!

Can't teach size and hands. So let's sign'em and see what we got.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I do hope we get some news of the signing today. As I mentioned in the game thread yesterday, after wasting 4 years of development on a player; you really don't want a 2nd rounder as compensation!

Can't teach size and hands. So let's sign'em and see what we got.

Not to mention perhaps this isn't the best draft to have FOUR 2nd's in. Last year I would have killed to have that many haha.

Edit: I just realized it would be a 2nd next year.

TkachuckNotTkaczuk

Jan 21, 2015
Seattle
He's signing, I have no fear that he's wanting to go UFA. Calgary have always kept an open line of communication with him throughout his college days which will most always make a player feel like he's part of the organization even though technically he wasn't. ....if that makes any sense? Lol :help:

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
He's signing, I have no fear that he's wanting to go UFA. Calgary have always kept an open line of communication with him throughout his college days which will most always make a player feel like he's part of the organization even though technically he wasn't. ....if that makes any sense? Lol :help:

It does.

I remember talking to him during the prospects camp a couple years ago, he was drafted only one year before and one thing he mentioned that he loved the organization and really wanted to prove their selection of him where they picked him as a smart call. Really cool guy.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

I believe Vesey had open line communication with the preds too. Then suddenly changed his decision. Otherwise, the preds probably could have included his rights in a trade at the TDL.

The Nashville Predators made no attempt to trade Vesey's rights at the 2016 NHL trade deadline on February 29 because, according to Predators' GM David Poile, Vesey told assistant general manager Paul Fenton that his plans were still to join the Predators. On March 23, 2016, Poile was informed that Vesey's plans were now to test free agency rather than sign with the Predators. Poile referred to the news as "bizarre" and "a shocker", as Nashville was expecting to sign the forward.

http://www.tsn.ca/predators-gm-calls-vesey-s-plan-to-try-free-agency-bizarre-1.460782

That being said, I don't fear Janko walking. I think the hold up is his health. He officially takes up a roster spot once he signs, no? He's not in the best health at the moment and you don't want him forcing a use of a call up for other prospects from Stockton if Janko isn't fit to play. Flames are ok with burning a year (One game will do it) but I think they don't want to needlessly use a call up if they can see one more of their prospects in the last few games.

I wonder if the next bit of news will be Treliving saying something like, "Mark isn't feeling great health wise right now and the negotiations have been slow as a result. But we have come to an agreement and Mark will meet with our team and sign the papers tomorrow once he gets a bit of rest." sort of announcement.

I seem to recall there being reports that Jankowski really gelled with our prospects as well. Gilles being here and being a team mate to show him the waters in Stockton doesn't hurt either.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It does.

I remember talking to him during the prospects camp a couple years ago, he was drafted only one year before and one thing he mentioned that he loved the organization and really wanted to prove their selection of him where they picked him as a smart call. Really cool guy.
I think I said this before but I assume since he attended Providence College that he and/or his family are practicing Catholics. Easter is extremely important to those of that (and I assume other Christian faiths). After the disappointment of not advancing and being quite ill I'm sure spending a few days with his family was Janko's #1 priority this weekend. He also maybe be doing garbage bag day and saying goodbye to teammates.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I Don't know why Poile is surprised. He tried to sign Vesey after his junior year and Vesey spurned them.
Can you blame him? Honestly I would rank Nashville second last behind Edmonton, in terms of which team I would least enjoy bring a part of. I like old country or folk. But new country pains me into my soul.

May 27, 2012
Earth
I Don't know why Poile is surprised. He tried to sign Vesey after his junior year and Vesey spurned them.
Can you blame him? Honestly I would rank Nashville second last behind Edmonton, in terms of which team I would least enjoy bring a part of. I like old country or folk. But new country pains me into my soul.

Florida Georgia Line is the best country.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad