Confirmed with Link: Mark Jankowski signs ELC

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Just to add some fuel to the fire. When I was at the draft last season, on the way back I sat with Rob Kerr for about 4 hours between Dallas and Calgary.

When we were taking prospects I mentioned Jankowski. According to Rob, there's a lot of mixed emotion about him even within our current organization about Janko; so I'm not surprised the fans are like that too.

To play devil's advocate for Darren, he might not see the upside some fans see. That's up to him though. Even if we say he's a project with potential upside; we have to factor in the possibility he gets there, likelihood, etc.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Darren Haynes expands his thoughts on Jankowski:

8. What Could He Be?

What is the upside for Jankowski? For me, I would think he could become a third line NHL centre eventually, emphasis on 'could'. We've seen his skill, most recently at development last July when he stood out. He's had some end-to-end rushes in college that have found their way to YouTube also. If his defensive game is sound and he can be proficient at the face-off dot, a centre that is 6-foot-4 and over 200 pounds has value. Maybe he could become the replacement for Mikael Backlund when he potentially moves on in two years.

Right now, Backlund is an excellent fit at centre on this club alongside Sean Monahan and Sam Bennett. But two years from now when the Swede is a UFA and looking for a significant raise from his current AAV of $3.6 million, can Calgary afford to re-sign him if they're already paying big money to Monahan and Bennett? Probably not so that could be a role Jankowski could slide into as someone not at Backlund's calibre but with a salary that fits.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I think that's a fair assessment. I feel similarly. Smart, makes the right play, wouldn't say he's dynamic though. I would love if he could effectively take over for Backlund who might be lost to UFA in a few years.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I think that's a fair assessment. I feel similarly. Smart, makes the right play, wouldn't say he's dynamic though. I would love if he could effectively take over for Backlund who might be lost to UFA in a few years.

Exactly, I think that's really what he projects to be. Good two way, 40 point centre, with size. I'd be pretty happy if he could become a bigger version of Backlund, in 2-3 years.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Flames hold breath on Jankowski's decision

Even though Jankowski is almost certainly destined for the AHL next year to continue his development, he likely does have the bargaining power to insist he plays at least one game with the Flames before season’s end. Or is it better for him to start in Stockton and continue his slow build?

“We feel confident that it will get done,†Flames GM Brad Treliving told the Calgary Sun two weeks ago when asked about signing Jankowski, a player he and the Flames organization have worked closely with.

“We talk to him basically daily and there’s a really good relationship. He’s not a guy who will likely step in right away. He still needs time.â€

When contacted several weeks ago Jankowski wouldn’t bite on which way he was leaning contract-wise, refusing to tip his hand as to whether he wanted to explore free agency of reward the club that showed so much faith in him so early.

Along with Pascall the Flames have several scouts and development personnel at the tourney as undersized defenceman John Gilmour, the Flames seventh round pick in 2013, is also a fourth-year Friar.

Providence opened the NCAA 16-team championship bracket against Minnesota-Duluth Friday, losing their bid to defend their national crown when the unranked Bulldogs scored 57 seconds into the second overtime to win the Northeast regional semifinal in Worcester, Mass.

“Have the Flames done a good job with him? Yes,†said a source close to the Jankowski family. “Have they given him any reason not to sign? No. But he does have leverage, and 29 other teams would line up to sign him.â€

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
From the above:

[fieldset=Francis]It’s a story in itself he’ll even have those options as few figured the tall, lanky 170-pound centre would command such leverage when Jay Feaster shocked many by drafting him 21st overall in 2012 — the highest Canadian high school player ever selected.[/fieldset]

Lmao.

Yes, Eric. Despite the fact that everyone projected him to be a four year guy, no one expected this to be the situation.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
From the above:

[fieldset=Francis]It’s a story in itself he’ll even have those options as few figured the tall, lanky 170-pound centre would command such leverage when Jay Feaster shocked many by drafting him 21st overall in 2012 — the highest Canadian high school player ever selected.[/fieldset]

Lmao.

Yes, Eric. Despite the fact that everyone projected him to be a four year guy, no one expected this to be the situation.
I would like to point out again that everyone thought Jankowski was 5 years out. He was supposed to play a season in the USHL before joining the Frairs and was then expected to spend 4 years with Providence

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
It would be hilarious to see, if he goes UFA, fans of the other 29 teams hoping to see their teams sign him while he's been mocked by same fans for 4 years.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Elliotte Friedman said on HNIC that the Flames have made him an offer and that we should hear about his decision in the next 24-48 hours.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
Elliotte Friedman said on HNIC that the Flames have made him an offer and that we should hear about his decision in the next 14-48 hours.

southpark-nice.png

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Flames GM Treliving on Jankowski: 'We’d like to get him signed, and I’m confident we’ll do that.'
“He was pretty sick,†said Flames GM Brad Treliving of Jankowski, Calgary’s first-round selection in the 2012 NHL Draft and, for the past four winters, a centre with the Providence College Friars.

“After the game, I think he had about three IV bags he went through. He was down a quart, so we said, ‘You know what, let’s talk tomorrow and see where we’re at.’ We have been in touch with his representative a lot — obviously after the game and (Saturday) morning and we’ll talk a little bit later and see where this thing goes.

“But he probably needs a day to get better a bit.â€
“He’s still a developing player,†Treliving said. “You look at where he’s come from his draft, he’s probably put on thirty-some pounds. I think his game has grown. His body has grown. He’s still got growing to do. He’s a prospect.

“He’s a young player who has taken considerable steps in the last four years. We’d like to get him signed, and I’m confident we’ll do that.â€

One carrot the Flames could dangle in negotiations is a late-season look-see at hockey’s highest level, which would also burn the first year of Jankowski’s entry-level pact.

That’s certainly a possibility, but Treliving hinted Saturday that he would prefer to see the Friars grad report to Calgary’s farm club. The Stockton Heat have nine dates remaining on their regular-season slate.

“Listen, he’s finished his four years and he can become an unrestricted free agent in August, so there are leverage points that he has,†Treliving said. “At this particular stage, getting him down to the American League, learning that, getting an idea of how hard it is and getting around the coaches and getting aroun the players … I think that’s the next step for him in his development. But we’ll see how it all plays out.â€

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Some of the players in his draft class are starting to be called bust

But Jank is still considered still in development by his boss....Nice to be him

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Some of the players in his draft class are starting to be called bust

But Jank is still considered still in development by his boss....Nice to be him

Why should we call him anything else when he was labelled a 4-5 year project when he was drafted? He hasn't even turned pro yet :laugh:

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Why should we call him anything else when he was labelled a 4-5 year project when he was drafted? He hasn't even turned pro yet :laugh:

I am not disputing that he is a prospect.

Just saying it's nice to have that much time. Many other prospects at the same age doesnt.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I am not disputing that he is a prospect.

Just saying it's nice to have that much time. Many other prospects at the same age doesnt.

I thought you implied he was receiving special treatment. I'm pretty excited, I got a Score update last night saying "Flames GM said they'll sign Jankowski ".

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
From the above:

Lmao.

No one expected him to be a prospect of interest to the rest of the NHL, no. Aside from his fan club on HF Flames, I haven't read or heard a single person who's of the opinion that he's a high end prospect (Jay Feaster and John Weisbrod notwithstanding).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad