Confirmed with Link: Mark Jankowski signs ELC

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
No one expected him to be a prospect of interest to the rest of the NHL, no. Aside from his fan club on HF Flames, I haven't read or heard a single person who's of the opinion that he's a high end prospect (Jay Feaster and John Weisbrod notwithstanding).

What are you talking about? Every ranking had him around the second round. This isn't a guy that no one was going to draft if the Flames didn't.

So, he's a guy that other teams were going to draft, and a guy that everyone expected to be in college four years. So, again, in what sense is he a guy that nobody expected to reach the end of his four years with NHL teams interested? They were interested four years ago, his four years went according to expectation, and this is the result. How is that anything but expected?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
In fact it was widely reported that both Phoenix and New Jersey wanted to draft him in the late 1st round.
Carolina had him ranked in that area too according their scout that I used to deal with at my last job.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
In fact it was widely reported that both Phoenix and New Jersey wanted to draft him in the late 1st round.

Yeah exactly, he was going to be a 1st round pick regardless. Outside of the top 10, it was a terrible draft. So hard to blame our scouts for trading back to pick up Sieloff and still get their guy in Jankowski (their idea was fine). Really outside of the top 10, it's hard to fault them for doing what they did. Sure Maatta would have been nice, but Janko could still be a 2/3C, which is absolutely decent for picking outside of the top 10.

moon*

It's too bad those supposed teams didn't jump up and take him before us.

Not surprising at all that nobody did but disappointing none the less with all this supposed interest.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
It's too bad those supposed teams didn't jump up and take him before us.

Not surprising at all that nobody did but disappointing none the less with all this supposed interest.

Don't ever change moon. Didn't even need to look who wrote it when I read it.

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
David Steckel was basically a 4th line center, who was really only good for winning faceoffs. I disagree with Calculon here.

Yeah, name rings a bell. I think Jankowski will be better than that. I think because he is really good defensively and has some offense he will make it in the NHL as more than a fourth liner

Aug 3, 2010
I'd be happy if Jankowski could be a bigger Langkow as his ceiling, or prime Bolland.

Very curious as to what his AHL career will do for his development.

moon*

I don't think there is a huge rush by the Flames to get him into NHL games (maybe 1 to burn a year if that is what he wants) so no need to get it done right away like with Gaudreau when the season was right at the end.

Also losing Jankowski a lot less of a deal than Gaudreau with the 2nd pick coming back so again not as much pressure/need to get it done right away.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The other mitigating factor is that it's Easter Sunday today. With his season having just come to an end, Janko might be with family today (and so might Treliving, for that matter), and might turn to business tomorrow.

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
Also aren't college finals right around the corner? Any chance he just decides to finish the school year if the flames don't see the need to put him in the lineup:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Also aren't college finals right around the corner? Any chance he just decides to finish the school year if the flames don't see the need to put him in the lineup:

Based on Treliving's comments, it sounds like if Janko demanded that he get to play a game and burn a year, they'd comply just to get him signed. Exams actually start right around the end of the season, so he'd be able to play some NHL games and then return to school like a lot of college players do.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It was a holiday weekend, with Jankowski going to Providence College I would think that the Easter weekend of all weekends would be quite important to him and his family. Not to mention he was ill on top of it and the Flames are not in a rush so they won't pressure him at all to sign.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
What are you talking about? Every ranking had him around the second round. This isn't a guy that no one was going to draft if the Flames didn't.

So, he's a guy that other teams were going to draft, and a guy that everyone expected to be in college four years. So, again, in what sense is he a guy that nobody expected to reach the end of his four years with NHL teams interested? They were interested four years ago, his four years went according to expectation, and this is the result. How is that anything but expected?

Sure, he was pegged as a late riser into the 2nd round, and even where he was ranked (near the bottom of it) he was still considered a risk because there were so many unknowns with him. A somewhat risky low 2nd round pick is not a guy who people would be predicting to go into potential UFA with a large number of teams interested.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Sure, he was pegged as a late riser into the 2nd round, and even where he was ranked (near the bottom of it) he was still considered a risk because there were so many unknowns with him. A somewhat risky low 2nd round pick is not a guy who people would be predicting to go into potential UFA with a large number of teams interested.

Again, this is exactly the development plan that was expected of Jankowski (other than there being here maybe a year sooner). Other teams being interested in him is, again, something that was also present at the draft, given teams were going to draft him. It doesn't mean that he has to be a top-flight prospect; indeed, at this point there are many people who don't see him as such.

The statement is that no one expected him to be leaving college with multiple teams interested in signing him. I'm wondering what part of leaving college with multiple teams interested he thinks is so surprising. Was it that he's leaving college after four years, and thus has the ability to sign with anyone on August whateverth? Everyone expected that. Was it that he's got multiple teams interested? They were at the draft, so unless his value dropped over his four years, of course they are. Having teams interested in you when you're leaving school isn't really remarkable. Teams bid over guys like van Brabant and Kenny Morrison- guys who are prospects but by no means top prospects.

So to say no one expected the current situation is just nonsense, in my opinion. This should have been the expectation all along. If literally everyone expected that Janko would leave school and be lucky to be offered a contract by one team, he would've been ranked way below where he was.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

We've already seen the Canadiens sign Parisi and the Devils sign Mingoia. Two guys who are not half as talented as Jankowski.

If you don't think nearly every team in the entire NHL is not lining up to sign Jankowski you're mistaken. He will field offers from a majority of NHL teams, as Hayes did two years ago. And the only losers will be us, because a 2017 2nd round pick for a 2012 1st round pick is a loss in a rebuild that started in 2013.

moon*

They are not half as talented as Jankowski, hard to argue that Mignola is really any less talented than Jankowski.

Some teams may try to sign Jankowski because some teams are willing to take a chance on anyone no matter how small the chances are they do anything but hard to imagine there is a big rush to sign a meh college player with a history of not being very good and few signs he is going to improve going forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad