Confirmed with Link: Marincin on waivers

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He just seems to me like he makes the same kind of plays no matter the situation
I don’t think there’s a big hurry to sign Polak, especially with Rosen waiting in the wings

I don't think Polak is getting signed unless hes fine going straight to the Marlies

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I like the idea of a Rosen/Borgman/Carrick rotation as someone else suggested

Rotating them I think would be good. The same should be done with Leivo.

For Rosen and Borgman especially, it's not easy coming here and playing pre-season games, plus an 82 game season, plus however many playoff games. For guys who have never played in the NHL, that's gotta be tough.

I also don't think we'll have any trouble making the playoffs this year. So no need to burn everyone out in the regular season. Rotate the players a lot and make sure everyone is fresh for playoff time.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Since Vegas placed Pickard on waivers for some reason... now that we have an open roster spot, I feel like it would be a good idea to pick him up. He's definitely a better backup than McElhinney IMO and has room to grow. We don't have to risk losing Mac either.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Marincin isn't a bad defensemen. He's a serviceable defensemen.

Just like we don't need to pick up guys like Corrado from waivers anymore, we no longer have space for guys like Marincin on the team. That's a good thing because it shows that we're improving our depth.
With Marincin being waived, I be more worried if I was Carrick at the moment.

Leafs will recall Rosen, but he is unlikely to sit in the pressbox when he could play regularly on the Marlies.

So putting 2 + 2 together to get 4 then a 3rd pairing or Rosen and Borgman might be one of the main reasons to waive Marincin to be able to sit Carrick in the PB instead.

Carrick, right now, is better than both Rosen and Borgman. No chance that Carrick is going in the press box this season. He looks like he's skating faster and making better decisions.

He had a great cross ice pass to Marner that got us the Marleau goal.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Wouldnt it have been better for Rosen to play mins in AHL instead of being in the pressbox?

I don't think he needs AHL seasoning. They might just rotate him with Borgman and/or Carrick to get games in.

Plus, I don't think it's fair to let Marincin rot in the press box. It's clear they have better options and thus, it's about giving him an opportunity to play here or at least in the AHL.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Could be because we want to claim pickard and needed a roster spot? I don't think the rosen idea makes sense, its either pickard or a trade imo.
This could also be true. We need the roster spot for Pickard if we can claim him and waived Marincin to make said roster spot. If Pickard gets claimed by us, and Marincin clears, we could see McBackup on waivers tomorrow, with a demotion to the AHL if he clears. Far fetched but the best theory I can come up with.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
With Marincin out of the pic, the Leafs can freely move up and down and develop Borgy, Rosen, and Dermott and even Lillegren if he earns a call up.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Must be signing Polak.

Not sure what Vegas is doing still. Pickard really had no value to anyone?

The way Lou and Babs talked about Polak; it seemed that he wouldn't be re-signed. Polak's signing must have to do with PKing;

Last night PK D-pairs were

Rielly Hainsey
Gards Zaitsev
Carrick Borg (got some PK time and then Andy's shutout bid was over).

is it possible that Babs still doesnt like Gards on PK?

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I don't think he needs AHL seasoning. They might just rotate him with Borgman and/or Carrick to get games in.

Plus, I don't think it's fair to let Marincin rot in the press box. It's clear they have better options and thus, it's about giving him an opportunity to play here or at least in the AHL.

Good point I can agree with this logic

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I don't think Polak is getting signed unless hes fine going straight to the Marlies

Leafs don't need to sign Polak to send him to the Marlies, his PTO would allow that to happen if Roman wants to continue skating with the Leafs organization.

So waiving Marincin would indicate this is NHL roster decision.

Lou the other day didn't sound like signing Polak was close as he in fact declared he wasn't being signed, unless that was simply strategy to comply to the 23 man opening night roster.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
It's possible we don't call up a defenceman. Not sure what we'd want the spot for, but maybe we carried Marincin on the road with us, now we're at home for the next 3. Marlies aren't on the road until next Friday so no 7th D man insurance needed right now in the case of an injury we just call someone up right from a mile or 2 away.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
Perhaps Marincin going through waivers is a trade precursor. Leafs have nearly an NHL D-corps in the Marlies. So maybe if he clears, they'll trade him as at that point any team can stash him.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
It's possible we don't call up a defenceman. Not sure what we'd want the spot for, but maybe we carried Marincin on the road with us, now we're at home for the next 3. Marlies aren't on the road until next Friday so no 7th D man insurance needed right now in the case of an injury we just call someone up right from a mile or 2 away.
If that was the case, there'd be no need to waive Marincin. Something's happening, we just don't know what yet.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
This could also be true. We need the roster spot for Pickard if we can claim him and waived Marincin to make said roster spot. If Pickard gets claimed by us, and Marincin clears, we could see McBackup on waivers tomorrow, with a demotion to the AHL if he clears. Far fetched but the best theory I can come up with.

There's no way this is related to the Pickard waiving. Unless GMGM told Lou he was putting Pickard on waivers we wouldn't know when we waived Marincin. We have no clue if he'll fall to us, and I doubt Lou went around and got a straight answer for 15 other GM's first to make sure. And 3rd in the event we claimed Pickard we could have done with Marincin waive tomorrow to open the spot.

Reactions: Nithoniniel

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Borg here to stay, Polak making full recovery, Rosen will play, Dermott injury insurance, bye bye pylon.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
After watching Fehr eat up big minutes and perfect penalty killing yesterday paired with Brown, you would think Moore might be getting nervous that he didn't find himself on waivers today instead of Marincin.

Leafs could also have gone that route with Leivo and Marincin in the pressbox as spares and open up another spot to carry another Dman (Rosen) instead on the NHL roster. Leafs usually like 8 Dman and 13 forwards & 2 goalies = 23 players.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Pickard will be taken way before the leafs come in the order. Maybe even colarado take him back

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
Although there are clear advantages to having a player play in the AHL rather than sit in the pressbox with the NHL team, do teams perhaps do it because it then allows that player to practice with the team, be on the road with the team and get to know the guys better, learn to play with those particular players, learn the coach's system, etc?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Los Angeles and Arizona are the only threats ahead of us IMO.

The way some think he is a "massive upgrade" on mcbackup every team in the league would be better off with him as backup. Mcbackup is a mid to high tier backup

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
I don't follow the thinking putting Marincin on waivers means we are interested in Pickard.

We HAVE a back--up goalie. Mgmt has said they have confidence in him, and he had a decent pre-seasons.

Why do people think these two things are related?

Sending Marincin away, or down to the Marlies, allows us to develop 3 Dmen that are better than Marincin: Borgman, Rosen, and Dermott, AND maybe even Lilligren already.

That's all it has to be about. It doesn't have to have anything to do with back-up goalies and roster spots!!

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Why was Subban seen as an upgrade to Vegas over Pickard?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad