Confirmed with Link: Marincin on waivers

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Oh so if he isn't "loaned" they can't send him there? Does M have any say then? Weird wording.

Every player who is on an NHL contract and sent to the AHL is loaned. That's the official wording. No differing than all the other guys down there.

Some other guys from a few days ago

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
Well first of all, let's go by this with bullet points.

1- All he did was win games when we needed him to? He had 6 wins and 7 losses with us. He didn't put us in the playoffs at all. He played pretty well overall for sure but the Leafs couldn't wait to get Andersen back in net.

2- Pickard played for one of the worst teams in NHL history and still put up respectable numbers, which were better than Vezina trophy winner Varlamov. He was getting destroyed in nets with shots game in and out. He had really good 5on5 numbers despite playing for that bad team. He also was one of the MVPs for Team Canada this past World Championships. Saying he only collected losses in Colorado is like saying Matt Duchene is a bad player because of his -34 last season.

3- Are you forgetting how we got McBackup in the first place? Waivers. And from of the best teams in the league at the time because they wanted a more consistent, younger and better backup. Sounds familiar? Plenty of people are completely puzzled as to why they think Subban can do better because nothing shows that he can.

4- Pickard is more dependable now and very likely moving forward.

I see a chance to improve our team, I do it. I like McBackup though and he's a cheap and fine veteran option. I can only hope he will hold the fort and we don't have to rely on him for more than 25 games. I don't think it's fair to only look at Pickard and his stats from last year and disregard his body of work since entering the league. I don't want to make a big deal out of this though because I'm fine with McBackup either way.

1: Yes, he did win the games we needed him to. Andersen went down at the end of the season and our playoff hopes were completely in McBackup's hands. He did not drop the ball, and maybe you don't think those 6 wins were important but I disagree. The fact he won at the end of the season with the pressure of the entire Leafs nation on him shouldn't be discounted.

2: Pickard has a glowing resume in his career leading up to the pros. No doubt about it. However the Leafs do not play in a junior hockey league. The fact remains Pickard hasn't been good in the NHL, and that's without the pressure of Leafs nation on his back. He had no pressure to perform and still wasn't good enough to be protected in the expansion draft or kept on the NHL roster of Las Vegas. We don't have any information on how the kid would perform in a pressure NHL game because the kid has never played in one, McBackup however we know what he can do.

3: I don't see how acquiring McBackup off of waivers has anything to do with the discussion whatsoever. At the time we needed a guy who could play the backup role so we grabbed him and he proved worthy of that decision. We don't need a backup so badly that we would cut one who can play to take a chance on one who might. Don't you get that it's a risk?

4: I Pickard were more dependable in any way he would have been protected by Colorado, and he most certainly would have cracked Vegas as at least the backup. Don't give me this declaration that he's better when it's based on nothing more than your say so. Some of us have facts on our side, and Pickard is a pointless gamble that Las Vegas didn't even want to take. Let that sink in for a minute, an expansion team replaced Pickard with a waiver pickup, but he's more dependable than the guy who won the games who put us in the playoffs. Sure buddy, whatever.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Toronto demoted Rosen to the AHL and kept the higher-paid Martin Marincin on the NHL roster for Tuesday’s roster deadline, a strategical cap move that allowed the club to maximize its savings on Joffrey Lupul’s long-term injury relief. Rosen says the Leafs didn’t inform him of the plan.

“It was disappointing. You want to start up,” he says. “But I’m starting up now.”

Marincin was swiftly waived, Rosen returned to the big club, and the Swede was informed Friday after practice he’d be skating in Toronto’s home opener, under the bright lights of 2017-18’s first episode of Hockey Night in Canada. His girlfriend flew across the ocean for the event.

“I don’t really know what to feel,” Rosen says. “It’s a dream come true. It’s going to be awesome to get out there and just enjoy it.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad