Larry Brooks: Marc Staal wants to stay in New York

Status
Not open for further replies.

SupersonicMonkey*

Skjei will likely be able to fill the second pairing slot in 15-16. We've had rookies play on our second pairing and do quite well before (McDonagh, Sauer). This is Brady's third year of college. His game is mature and we don't have to worry about his physical tools given his size and skating ability. And it's not the end of the world if Skjei needs a season in Hartford and we need a one-year stopgap.

On the other hand, flushing a massive chunk of our cap space into a deteriorating Staal for the next six+ years when we also need to pay Stepan, Zuccarello, Hagelin, and St. Louis is not feasible. We cannot afford to give big, long contracts to everyone and Staal is not a good bet to be worth that deal given his inconsistencies and injury history.

I agree.

Skjei, is a VERY intelligent player. His fundamentals and positioning are great. His skating is great. He has a solid frame and long reach.

Rangers wanted him signed and getting top minutes in Hartford. But, its hard to blame the kid for wanting another shot at a National Title before going pro, getting stronger, and being able to work on developing his offense without the pressure of the Pro game while doing it.

Staal is deteriorating. Good way to put it. He is constantlt a step slow getting to pucks, his puck movement is slower, he is best when he isn't moving around. Tough in front of Henke and good in the corners. But when teams are pressing with speed he has issues.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
Too lazy to read through the entire thread, so I apologize if this has been asked before, but what do you think we could get for Staal in regards to draft picks, assuming the team we trade him to isn't concerned that they won't be able to come to a deal with him?

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Too late.

Can't deal him now for value in his contract season. You play him this season and hope he stays healthy. We're ready to start the season and no one can step in and fill his minutes now. It's too late.

Gonna be tough to trade him as a rental but who knows. Callahan was moved.

End of season he can sign wherever he wants and get paid.

And we free up 30 mil in cap

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Christian Ehrhoff would be a tremendous pick up.

Erhoff would likely cost as much as Staal... However he's definitely a better defenseman...

but then what happens to the Staal-Boyle pairing? Erhoff isn't necessarily a stay at home guy, which Boyle needs to work with (unless I am unaware of Erhoff's other defensive abilities)

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I agree.

Skjei, is a VERY intelligent player. His fundamentals and positioning are great. His skating is great. He has a solid frame and long reach.

Rangers wanted him signed and getting top minutes in Hartford. But, its hard to blame the kid for wanting another shot at a National Title before going pro, getting stronger, and being able to work on developing his offense without the pressure of the Pro game while doing it.

Staal is deteriorating. Good way to put it. He is constantlt a step slow getting to pucks, his puck movement is slower, he is best when he isn't moving around. Tough in front of Henke and good in the corners. But when teams are pressing with speed he has issues.

the only thing is we need something for Skjei to compete against. He can't be handed that spot...

we'd have to sign a stopgap in the event that he cant take those minutes... unless John Moore grows enough to start next season wit hthose minutes

Richter Scale

Aug 4, 2012
Ehrhoff would be a massive upgrade. He's amazing.

But, but, but his corsi is worse than Kevin Klein's! That must mean he is terrible!

Klein: 0.466
Ehrhoff: 0.458

This is why I can't take the corsi advanced stats arguments you were making earlier this week in order to call Klein "bad" seriously...

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Erhoff would cost just as much as Staal, if we can't afford to sign Staal and sign our own guys, we can't afford Erhoff either.

Puckinright

i like hockey.
Aug 18, 2012
But, but, but his corsi is worse than Kevin Klein's! That must mean he is terrible!

This is why I can't take the corsi advanced stats arguments you were making earlier this week in order to call Klein "bad" seriously...

yeah, when you don't know how to use them they sure do seem stupid.

nice work here.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006

You have to compare corsi relative to the rest of the players on a guy's squad. Whenever Ehrhoff steps on the ice his team's corsi goes way up, whenever Klein steps on the ice the opposite happens.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
You have to compare corsi relative to the rest of the players on a guy's squad. Whenever Ehrhoff steps on the ice his team's corsi goes way up, whenever Klein steps on the ice the opposite happens.

"I don't understand the numbers or how to properly apply them, therefore they're stupid."

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
That does not actually address what makes the statement that he is going to be ready to play 2nd pair minutes in his rookie year. Not exactly a task that many have accomplished.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
That does not actually address what makes the statement that he is going to be ready to play 2nd pair minutes in his rookie year. Not exactly a task that many have accomplished.

Staal did :sarcasm:

Like I said, that's kind of the problem. You have to sign Staal long term now to a contract that's probably not a good one, or you let him walk in one year and your D takes a big hit until a prospect can get up to speed

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Staal did :sarcasm:
Again, exception and not the rule. If we look at the last 25 years of Rangers defensive prospects (and I do not recall them all), how many (McD, Staal & Sauer aside) have stepped in and capably played 2nd pair minutes?
or you let him walk in one year and your D takes a big hit until a prospect can get up to speed
If at all. And then you have to go out and spend closely similar money to replace him. Let's say you pay a UFA $4.5, is that really enough to let Staal walk over $6? And who are you signing for such a contract that is at least every bit as capable as Staal? At 27, Staal has a long way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad