Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Larry Brooks spoke to Marc Staal's agent Paul Krepelka

“There’s been no discussion at all, but I did get a call from Jeff early in the offseason telling me that they were working on their arbitration cases, so not to interpret it as a sign of disrespect toward Marc,” agent Paul Krepelka told Slap Shots on Thursday, referring to assistant general manager Jeff Gorton. “I expect that we will be talking at some point before training camp.

“Marc’s objective is to sign a long-term deal with the Rangers, and he would like to get it done before the season starts. That hasn’t changed.

“But we’ll see.”

So, the Rangers not only might as well find out now what it will take to keep Staal and keep together the foundation on D — built around the Big Three of Staal, Girardi and Ryan McDonagh — they must know now. Because the sooner to explore the trade market, the better.

If the Blueshirts are going to trade Staal, they had better to do it sooner rather than later and avoid the angst that accompanied the Girardi and Callahan scenarios through last winter that benefitted no one.

http://nypost.com/2014/08/02/rangers-contract-talks-staal-ed-with-defenseman/

It won't be cheap. Everyone knows that. Sign him or trade him. The price won't go down.

Trainmman

May 29, 2014
Jersey
Dead lord, Brooks wrote an article on a positive with the Rangers??

I think he could be one of the guys Rangers extend during the year (Zucc is the first though).

But seeing what PK got.. Only boosts Staals tag more, maybe 500k-1million.

I'll say 4 years 25 for Staal.

Vidic15*

Dead lord, Brooks wrote an article on a positive with the Rangers??

I think he could be one of the guys Rangers extend during the year (Zucc is the first though).

But seeing what PK got.. Only boosts Staals tag more, maybe 500k-1million.

I'll say 4 years 25 for Staal.

PK has nothing to do with Staal. Staal has never even sniffed a Norris Trophy. He's a defensive defenseman. He should earn no more than 6.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
To me Staal should get something around what Girardi got. Whether we can afford that is another question. Stepan coming up as well and then there's Zuccarello and St. Louis. Between all 4 of them it's probably $20+ million on the cap. Next summer Stepan might get a smaller raise with a promise for more kind of like Zuccarello did this summer. St. Louis will have a short term and might accept a little less than he's making now.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
I'm hoping MSL takes a series of 1 year deals until he wants to retire. May be something like $2.5 salary and $2.5 performance bonuses to get the next years cap hit down so they can lock up Stepan, Staal and Zucc long term.

zuckera1

Mar 3, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
He's younger.

He'll be 28 when his current contract expires, whereas Girardi was/is 30. Not a huge difference.

They basically generate the same offensive production, and are comparable defensively. Yet Girardi never misses a game and Staal has had numerous injury problems. Durability must play a part in contract negotiations.

I see no reason as to why he deserves more than 5.5. Maybe with the cap rising he'll get 5.75 but 6 is too much for me with McD in blue.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Staal has always made more than Girardi. Staal got a bigger 2nd contract than Girardi got as a 3rd contract. Girardi is on his 4th Ranger contract.

$45M committed to 11 players next season

Lundqvist
McD
Girardi
Boyle
Klein
Nash
Brassard
Kreider
Moore
Glass
Lombardi

The Rangers can play around with the last two.

Arbitration for Stepan and Hagelin. Moore if he signs a 1 year SPC.

Group III for Staal,MSL and Zuccarello.

How much will cost to re-sign Stepan,Hagelin,Staal,MSL and Zuccarello?

Stepan took a bridge contract last September. $6M.

Hagelin will be one year away from group III. $4M range(probably more) in a long-term deal.

$6M for Staal

$5M for MSL

$4.5M-$5M for Zuccarello

$26M

$71M for 16 players

Same problem all over again. The cap goes up and the cap increase goes to paying increases.

zuckera1

Mar 3, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Staal has always made more than Girardi. Staal got a bigger 2nd contract than Girardi got as a 3rd contract. Girardi is on his 4th Ranger contract.

$45M committed to 11 players next season

Lundqvist
McD
Girardi
Boyle
Klein
Nash
Brassard
Kreider
Moore
Glass
Lombardi

The Rangers can play around with the last two.

Arbitration for Stepan and Hagelin. Moore if he signs a 1 year SPC.

Group III for Staal,MSL and Zuccarello.

How much will cost to re-sign Stepan,Hagelin,Staal,MSL and Zuccarello?

Stepan took a bridge contract last September. $6M.

Hagelin will be one year away from group III. $4M range(probably more) in a long-term deal.

$6M for Staal

$5M for MSL

$4.5M-$5M for Zuccarello

$26M

$71M for 16 players

Same problem all over again. The cap goes up and the cap increase goes to paying increases.

Nice overview, gives us some perspective. Honestly I wish your numbers will be what actually happens but I believe Stepan will command over 6, Zucc will get at least 5-5.5, and Hags will get at least 4.5. A lot depends on this season.

Eventually, we'll need to find savings somewhere and players will be cap casualties. We can't just keep all the same players and pay them more each year as they age.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I really think people forget how much better the NYR defense is with Staal and McD looking down the left side. Being able to match up one of those two with the Crosby/Malkin lines alone is a big advantage.

Remember when Paul Mara was a top 4 dman here? It wasn't that long ago.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Staal is not quite at the level he was at before his concussion and eye injury. He's not as good as McDonagh--to me he's pretty equal with Girardi. Still a very good player and the Rangers defense has been a main strength for the past several years. Skjei is coming along. He will eventually be Staal's replacement IMO. Same kind of tall and rangy body. A defense first guy and a better skater than Marc. The timing isn't perfect but Staal may be the odd man out next year with Skjei, Moore and Allen vying for the 2nd pair left D slot. It will eventually be Skjei's IMO. He's just got too much going for him.

Staal's best chance to stay with the Rangers and get a Girardi-esqe or + contract is to get back to where he was before his injuries when he was arguably as good a shutdown d-man as there was in the league. A lot depends on what kind of season he has. To me unless he settles for a lower cap number the Rangers should wait and see on that--not sign him before the year begins but watch how he goes and then decide.

If there's no real improvement I think he's the odd man out.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
He'll be 28 when his current contract expires, whereas Girardi was/is 30. Not a huge difference.

They basically generate the same offensive production, and are comparable defensively. Yet Girardi never misses a game and Staal has had numerous injury problems. Durability must play a part in contract negotiations.

I see no reason as to why he deserves more than 5.5. Maybe with the cap rising he'll get 5.75 but 6 is too much for me with McD in blue.

2 years is in fact a huge difference, particularly when you are talking about 5/6 year deals for players at ~ age 30.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
offer him what we offered Girardi and if he doesn't accept move him?

I don't think I would offer more than 5 years for him.

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
offer him what we offered Girardi and if he doesn't accept move him?

I don't think I would offer more than 5 years for him.

Sather certainly won't start at Girardi's contract.
They'll offer like 4mil and work their way up. Hopefully no further than Girardi's contract

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
not to go completely off topic but i think we should be opening contract talks with stepan too...he'll be a rfa so he can't walk but he can only cost more next summer cause contracts always go up. he's our #1 center, we don't have another option. lock him up long term

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->