• Be patient

• Keep him is doing a good job

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roke

Jul 21, 2003
Winnipeg
Tavares to Nashville makes a tonne of sense to me if he really wants to be on a contender. They have the cap room and if they needed to they could always trade Ryan Johansen or Turris for a king's ransom from a team with a desperate GM under a lot of pressure to find a first-line centre.

But I thought they'd trade Josi to the Habs last summer for a king's ransom because Josi's reputation exceeds his on-ice impact, the Habs clearly needed a puck-mover, to play with Weber and I believed Bergevin wouldn't have noticed that the Josi-Weber pairing was never that great in Nashville.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Tavares to Nashville makes a tonne of sense to me if he really wants to be on a contender. They have the cap room and if they needed to they could always trade Ryan Johansen or Turris for a king's ransom from a team with a desperate GM under a lot of pressure to find a first-line centre.

That has been my thought for quite some time now. He's good friend with PK. They both dominated and won the U20 together. Nashville has the space and manoeuvrability.

If he leaves the Isles, which imo is highly likely, imo it's either:

- Nashville
- San Jose
- Toronto
- New York

Reactions: Runner77

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

But I thought they'd trade Josi to the Habs last summer for a king's ransom because the Habs clearly needed a puck-mover to play with Weber and I believed Bergevin wouldn't have noticed that the Josi-Weber pairing was never that great in Nashville.

Nashville doesn't really have the cap room though. They're at $67,530,000 for 19 guys right now. Getting Tavares limited their ability to fill out the line-up. They'd need to move one of Johansen/Turris/Bonino. Which would be pretty easy, but they can't add Tavares without clearing some space.

That's a very interesting landing spot though. If they can get him and then sell high on Johansen...

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Nashville doesn't really have the cap room though. They're at $67,530,000 for 19 guys right now. Getting Tavares limited their ability to fill out the line-up. They'd need to move one of Johansen/Turris/Bonino. Which would be pretty easy, but they can't add Tavares without clearing some space.

That's a very interesting landing spot though. If they can get him and then sell high on Johansen...

There's a 10% cushion in the summer. And the cap will around 80-82, so they'll have plenty of space.

And a very willing MB to get it done..

Johanssen for our 1st incoming.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I doubt that Nashville is interested in dealing Ry-Jo. They'd be looking at moving Turris I'm sure.

That depends on what Poile will want to do with Ellis, Josi and Rinne in the next 2-3 years and what he can get in return and the space that is left.

Keeping Johansen over Turris gets you a weaker return and less space (2m) to manoeuvre.

Depends on who's interested too.

Keeping Johansen means they likely have to sacrifice Ellis in not too long.

Anyway, like I said, they have a lot of maneuverability.

If JT lands in Smashville, they'll steamroll the league.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
That depends on what Poile will want to do with Ellis, Josi and Rinne in the next 2-3 years and what he can get in return and the space that is left.

Keeping Johansen over Turris gets you a weaker return and less space (2m) to manoeuvre.

Depends on who's interested too.

Keeping Johansen means they likely have to sacrifice Ellis in not too long.

Anyway, like I said, they have a lot of maneuverability.

If JT lands in Smashville, they'll steamroll the league.
Less maneuverability, sure, but also less need to maneuver. Keeping RyJo gives them their best possible roster.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
There's a 10% cushion in the summer. And the cap will around 80-82, so they'll have plenty of space.

And a very willing MB to get it done..

Johanssen for our 1st incoming.

The NHL expects it be there. But they're kind of expecting the NHLPA to use the escalator too. And I'm not sure that happens with a CBA fight looming.

And the 10% cushion will make things interesting if Nashville is trying to cut salary, because that typically deflates values.

And I think MB is probably wary of trading with Poile again. He's trying to save his job, losing another trade to him isn't going to help him out.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
The NHL expects it be there. But they're kind of expecting the NHLPA to use the escalator too. And I'm not sure that happens with a CBA fight looming.

And the 10% cushion will make things interesting if Nashville is trying to cut salary, because that typically deflates values.

And I think MB is probably wary of trading with Poile again. He's trying to save his job, losing another trade to him isn't going to help him out.

As if the players won't use the escalator.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
As if the players won't use the escalator.

We don't know. There's real financial reasons they shouldn't, especially since unlike previous years, the cap is going up regardless and very few teams are in cap trouble. They also haven't used the full 5% in years past, so I'm not sure why it should be expected now.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
We don't know. There's real financial reasons they shouldn't, especially since unlike previous years, the cap is going up regardless and very few teams are in cap trouble. They also haven't used the full 5% in years past, so I'm not sure why it should be expected now.

The escalator is not added up. If the league puts 82 mil, they won't be vetoed on an escalator.

The NHLPA will ALWAYS push for higher earnings no matter the escrow, especially now that they are at 50% total revenues. They want to make sure they are always a bit above the 50% to make sure they always get their 50%.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
If we sign Voynov.. all the comments about character, attitude etc. Are as hollow as Bergevins neanderthal skull

I agree. It would be hard to separate the hockey player from the man in this case. After that tweet was posted, Arthur Staple did confirm that the Isles have not contacted Voynov. So Jets and Isles have denied the rumors. Panthers and Rangers haven't commented yet. But Habs said something, but it was to say that they won't comment. Way to keep us in the know.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I agree. It would be hard to separate the hockey player from the man in this case. After that tweet was posted, Arthur Staple did confirm that the Isles have not contacted Voynov. So Jets and Isles have denied the rumors. Panthers and Rangers haven't commented yet. But Habs said something, but it was to say that they won't comment. Way to keep us in the know.

Very transparent.

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
For two seasons. Afterwards they'll need to deal with Josi/Ellis/Rinne.

I suspect that they will let Rinne go and roll with Saros. That's what a smart team would do. The savings would cover the raises that Josi and Ellis would get. If they landed Tavares, they could trade Ellis for a nice haul of picks/prospects and still have 3 top pairing defencemen. An enviable position to be in, for sure.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
For two seasons. Afterwards they'll need to deal with Josi/Ellis/Rinne.
My guess is they move on from Rinne if he's asking for a big pay day.
They have other guys to deal with that are also key and have a good young keeper, that I assume will get more playing time starting next year.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Well not surprising Bergevin was full of shit when he said he'd be more transparent. I'm not sure Voynov would want to come to Mtl though...wherever he goes, he will be questioned, but coming to the biggest media market? That's just crazy.
I guess Bergevin did reach out otherwise he would have denied this.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
so, does he have good attitude?
I know this is a meme right now but there're indeed people really pissed when they lose and people that don't care... I mean this is quite obvious, I have no idea why this Bergevin's comment made so much noise...

I know exactly in what category a guy like Gallagher or Byron are , don't know for the rest...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad