• Be patient

• Keep him is doing a good job

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I think a lot of what was assumed to be issues regarding Subban could have been controlled or not come to be at all had he had a coaching staff that knew how to handle that kind of personality.

I always took issue with how the organization wanted to "tame" Subban when he's really the type of guy you should be leaching off his energy. I drew parallels to Ovechkin and his younger days in Washington in the past. Eventually they grow out of it and lead in their own way. In Montréal, it's as if the organization always took the disapproving father figure role and Subban was in a "prove them wrong" or straight up "**** them, I know I'm right" mindset. It was just a very unhealthy relationship from the beginning, and so I think it's only natural to let Therrien get the blame for most of what unfolded with Subban. He didn't know how to handle him.
It's not that he didn't know how to handle him, it's that he outright disliked the guy from the get go. We saw the same thing with Tremblay and Roy. Why do you hire a guy who hates your star player from the beginning?

And it really is a two pronged issue here. We had terrible coaching at the minor league level and then it was out of the frying pan and into the fire with Therrien. If you even made it past Sly then you had to break into the NHL with MT. That is a horrible scenario for any young player and it underscores the problems we've had in developing players.

People can make one liners about Tinordi being an all-star all they want. Those are weak deflections. The sad reality is we had a terrible one two combo in coaching for a long time now and it's no coincidence that we can't develop players anymore. Galchenyuk had all the earmarks of a good number one center and we f***ed it up.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Stastny, JVR, Bozak...don't be surprise if Gudbranson isn't a target...I mean...attitude....who cares if he's slow. And of course Plekanec. That's the guys we will be targeting.

Maybe a bunch of 3rd/4th liners....Antoine Roussel. Jay Beagle....Joel Ward.....I mean....all those superstars.
That's what will happen. We will not get JT and then go for the leftovers.

Sad thing is, leftovers might have actually been enough a couple of years ago because we had a strong core. We don't have that now and getting these guys just screws us up for any kind of rebuild we want to do.

If Molson knew what he was doing (and I don't think he does) he'd put a figurative bullet into MB now and start over.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
That's what will happen. We will not get JT and then go for the leftovers.

Sad thing is, leftovers might have actually been enough a couple of years ago because we had a strong core. We don't have that now and getting these guys just screws us up for any kind of rebuild we want to do.

If Molson knew what he was doing (and I don't think he does) he'd put a figurative bullet into MB now and start over.

Bozak would be such a terrible move. Don't think he's much better than Danault and he's 32. Like Plekanec he'll likely hit a wall in the next 2 or 3 seasons.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Just heard a bit of what Bergevin will say tonight at Tout le monde en parle.....and he said that he wants players that just hate to lose. The thing is that he really believe that this will be enough. Let say you go and acquire Antoine Roussel. Who CLEARLY hates to lose. Does that mean that we will suddenly win? Players who hate to lose in a bad team will just.....hate to lose. Pretty sure Gallagher hates to lose. Same with Shaw. Same with Weber. Same for most players. If we find out that the team BERGEVIN build was filled with players who just doesn't care......it still goes back to him. He is the one who assembled that team. And now...he acts as if he is surprised that this is how it came to. Unreal.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
Just heard a bit of what Bergevin will say tonight at Tout le monde en parle.....and he said that he wants players that just hate to lose. The thing is that he really believe that this will be enough. Let say you go and acquire Antoine Roussel. Who CLEARLY hates to lose. Does that mean that we will suddenly win? Players who hate to lose in a bad team will just.....hate to lose. Pretty sure Gallagher hates to lose. Same with Shaw. Same with Weber. Same for most players. If we find out that the team BERGEVIN build was filled with players who just doesn't care......it still goes back to him. He is the one who assembled that team. And now...he acts as if he is surprised that this is how it came to. Unreal.
You know who hates to lose? PK Subban. Who know who is a loser? Max Pacioretty. This man is just so damn stupid.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Stastny, JVR, Bozak...don't be surprise if Gudbranson isn't a target...I mean...attitude....who cares if he's slow. And of course Plekanec. That's the guys we will be targeting.

Maybe a bunch of 3rd/4th liners....Antoine Roussel. Jay Beagle....Joel Ward.....I mean....all those superstars.

Fortunately Vancouver's GM is an idiot and already re-signed Gudbranson.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009

This was the same stuff from a couple of years ago. I think it was a shot at PK because I remember something about PK being too easy going after losses.

I have said this several times. BS. I want players who want to win and don't give a rats ass if they puke and cry after a loss. PK was one of a few guys who gave it up on the ice every game , including the play offs.

Try loading up the team with players who go out and to win instead of knowing how to handle losing properly.

MB is an F'n moron.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

What Bergevin means is that he wants players who demonstrate they hate to lose the same way he does. Stomping around, swearing, breaking things, refusing to eat or talk, etc.

He simply cannot understand that people are individuals and can be in agony from losing and prefer to distract themselves with a card game. Internalizing an emotion does not mean its not deeply felt.

It's just more prehistoric thinking from a man who's more qualified to be a prison guard than an NHL GM.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012

Is he getting his excuses ready for acquiring more third line 30 point grinders either by trading 2nd round picks or making some bad UFA signings.

Having roughly $18.3 million in cap space (assuming it goes to $80) a top 7 pick or better, and 5 picks in the top 60 this should be a great offseason. But with him in charge all I’m left wondering is how is he going to screw it up. And every word out of his mouth continually backs that up for me.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
What Bergevin means is that he wants players who demonstrate they hate to lose the same way he does. Stomping around, swearing, breaking things, refusing to eat or talk, etc.

He simply cannot understand that people are individuals and can be in agony from losing and prefer to distract themselves with a card game. Internalizing an emotion does not mean its not deeply felt.

It's just more prehistoric thinking from a man who's more qualified to be a prison guard than an NHL GM.

Alcatraz prison guard bro.

Reactions: groovejuice

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

So I guess the "chill out" attitude can't be seen as great right? Can't wait to see Price being traded...oh wait he won't 'cause that GM just has no idea what he's talking about. His whole attitude BS is just a way to hide behind the no talent real reason.

Reactions: groovejuice

Phozzwald

Oct 16, 2007
Newfoundland
Maybe that is why you think winning a couple division titles represents success. Did you see their last cup win? Winning the division is highly circumstantial on so many factors and you get nothing for it. PO success is what you should hold your standard at, which was great at first. But now, we have won 1 PO round in 4 years. That is terrible.

Teams with 1 playoff series win or less over the past 4 years:
Dallas, Minnesota, Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Detroit, Columbus, New York Islanders, Boston, Arizona, Los Angeles, Colorado, Philadelphia, Toronto, Florida, New Jersey, Carolina, Buffalo.
18 out of 30 teams because we obviously wont include Vegas. I guess all their GMs are terrible too.

Well you said Molson had no reason to not have faith in Bergevin, so I provided you with some of the obvious reasons he absolutely do have reason to doubt him.
If I was going to write an article asking debating whether or not Molson has reasons to doubt him, then I would bring up his entire timeline and discuss the pros and cons. You did none of this. You simply stated you couldn't blame him for believing in Bergevin because he won a couple division titles early on. You were not objective at all in your article and had no interest in discussing both sides of the medal.
So I helped you out by showing the very clear and present dark side of Bergevin's tenure.

Actually I didn't say he had no reason to not have faith. I said why wouldnt he have faith. Seeing how hes had more good seasons than bad. The article wasnt about should Molson have faith in Bergevin. The article was about Bergevin having all the tools at his fingertips to have a very successful offseason. Not all GMs have everything lined up perfectly like Bergevin does at the moment to turn this thing around. That's what the article was about and was clearly stated in the title and throughout. You chose to make it about one statement in one paragraph.

You are resorting to excuses here. I have no interest in playing this game.
He came in with everything going for him, he was in a very good position to be successful here and he's failed miserably.
We still have issues scoring, our center situation is actually worse, his vision and understanding on how to build a defensive group is way past its time, our group of prospects (as good as you want to claim they are) is not impressive, he just locked 8 years on a goalie who has played 50g once in the last 3 years, his two best players are on the wrong side of 30, there's no puck movement ability from the back end. He extended his minor league staff that provided 1 PO series in 5 years and that is only thanks to a new PO format in the AHL. Now if that was because we kept graduating the solid talent of those teams, that would be fine, but that was far from being the case. Oh...and he just fired that coach..I mean for fox sake mate, the list goes on and on, this is unacceptable.

We do still have scoring issues and we desperately need a centre. He failed this past season, hes owned that. He said he misvalued the defence he had, and he is working on changing that. Hes already starting to go younger with the D group by having Victor Mete make the team, acquiring Mike Reilly, Noah Juulsen is ready and Brett Lernout is on the verge. He can also add to that this summer and has the cap space and assets to make it happen. He did fire the coach. It needed to be done and its a perfect time to do it without Ducharme there. Everyone was calling for Lefebvre's head and now when he gets fired oh its too late? Give me a break
I like how you say Price has played 50 games once in the past 3 years. He hit 49 this year. Come on man, 1 away from 50 but to fit your narrative you try to make it sound much worse. Give me a break. The guy has carried the team from years. Is arguably the best goaltender in the league, and will bounce back from this poor season. Hes done it before, he will do it again. The man finished 3rd in Vezina voting just last season. The fact that you can actually doubt Price just makes me want to end this conversation now, as its pointless.

He's made many pointless trades, and his two biggest ones are definitely not good.
I think Molson is simply tied up with too much money on his staff, getting rid of them would be very expensive. If Bergevin had a year left, he would have been fired.

Completely your opinion. Not everyone feels the same. I think youre wrong. I like both trades. Weber is better than Subban at the moment and has the tools to be better longer. Subbans next contract is going to be probably the same as he has now or more, and at that point Weber looks even better. When Subban slows down, he doesnt have the defensive ability, the hockey iq, the strength, or the leadership qualities that Weber has. Which will make Weber a much more effective dman for years to come. Chara is still playing great at 41. Lidstrom did as well. No reason to believe Weber wont.
The Habs needed Drouin more than they needed Sergachev. You say we need offence. Drouin will bring that better than Sergachev. Especially if utilized correctly. Which is on the wing. When they get a actual centre for him to play with, he will hit 60+ points. No doubt about it

Bergevin isn't going to fix this. Best case scenario, gets a couple guys, improves the team, we are back into the PO fold. That's it. We are not going to become a contender under Bergevin. He has failed, he is in way over his head, and it's been obvious for years.
He always had everything available to him. Heck, he even had the okay from his boss to trade the most popular and marketable player of this team, and what does he do?...Trades him for a less mobile older Dman in a 1 for 1 swap. ****ing Bravo. What a brilliant and visionary hockey mind...Sure man, this is the year..
:facepalm:
Furthest thing from in way over his head. He didnt have everything available before like he does now. He also didnt have a huge target like Tavares sitting right in front of him, and a pile of cap space to get the job done. You can't say 100% the Habs wont get him just like I cant say 100% they will. Only person who knows this is Tavares, and until he signs somewhere, everyone will be, and is allowed to speculate. Despite what you think. I hope that if you are wrong, youll be big enough to admit it. Just like I will be. I did finish the article by stating if he doesnt utilize it correctly, he could be fired. If he does, and the Habs are successful next season, we will make room for you to jump back on the band wagon :)

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Teams with 1 playoff series win or less over the past 4 years:
Dallas, Minnesota, Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Detroit, Columbus, New York Islanders, Boston, Arizona, Los Angeles, Colorado, Philadelphia, Toronto, Florida, New Jersey, Carolina, Buffalo.
18 out of 30 teams because we obviously wont include Vegas. I guess all their GMs are terrible too.
Euh...okay?..
It's arguments like these that make me wonder just how much of an understanding of the game you actually have.
You realize that not all these teams are at the same point? Some of them do have terrible GMs, some might make a change shortly, some were in rebuilding phase, some have actually progressed.
What a terrible argument. I mean, are you incapable of realizing different teams are in different situations?...

Actually I didn't say he had no reason to not have faith. I said why wouldnt he have faith. Seeing how hes had more good seasons than bad. The article wasnt about should Molson have faith in Bergevin. The article was about Bergevin having all the tools at his fingertips to have a very successful offseason. Not all GMs have everything lined up perfectly like Bergevin does at the moment to turn this thing around. That's what the article was about and was clearly stated in the title and throughout. You chose to make it about one statement in one paragraph.
I made it about the most outlandish part of your post, and it's pretty freaking important to note that Bergevin has failed miserably before arguing that hey..we have some cap space this year...so he'll do good.

We do still have scoring issues and we desperately need a centre. He failed this past season, hes owned that. He said he misvalued the defence he had, and he is working on changing that. Hes already starting to go younger with the D group by having Victor Mete make the team, acquiring Mike Reilly, Noah Juulsen is ready and Brett Lernout is on the verge. He can also add to that this summer and has the cap space and assets to make it happen. He did fire the coach. It needed to be done and its a perfect time to do it without Ducharme there. Everyone was calling for Lefebvre's head and now when he gets fired oh its too late? Give me a break
This past season? What? We have needed more offense and centers since he took over. This isn't a new problem. He misevaluated the defense, ya he did, by miles, and it is f***ing troublesome when fans had a better understanding of his group than he did. That is a major problem. If he thought this group was solid, why exactly would he now change things up? On "Tout le Monde en Parle" tonight, he couldn't even admit the lack of puck movement from the back end hurt his team.
It's great that he fired Lefebvre, and ya, f***ing right it's too late. Your GM is supposed to be ahead of the curve, not behind. Took him 6 years to realize this guy was doing a f***ing shit job in the AHL?? And I am willing to bet anything that if Mtl didn't have a terrible season, then he wouldn't have fired him because there would be less pressure.
I like how you say Price has played 50 games once in the past 3 years. He hit 49 this year. Come on man, 1 away from 50 but to fit your narrative you try to make it sound much worse. Give me a break. The guy has carried the team from years. Is arguably the best goaltender in the league, and will bounce back from this poor season. Hes done it before, he will do it again. The man finished 3rd in Vezina voting just last season. The fact that you can actually doubt Price just makes me want to end this conversation now, as its pointless.
I didn't doubt Price, I brought up a very legitimate point and fact, his ability to not get injured as an 8 year extension kicks in. The fact you turn this into some type of hating on Price or doubting his ability shows you have no interest in having an honest discussion here.
Point is Price has missed a lot of hockey in the past 3 years, he has an 84M extension kicking in, and is over 30. Extending him when he did and for that amount was a terrible decision. This isn't hindsight either, you can go back and read the threads before he signed. People were discussing this. Heck, I brought this up a few years ago when people were debating trading Price or Subban for a center.

Completely your opinion. Not everyone feels the same. I think youre wrong. I like both trades. Weber is better than Subban at the moment and has the tools to be better longer. Subbans next contract is going to be probably the same as he has now or more, and at that point Weber looks even better. When Subban slows down, he doesnt have the defensive ability, the hockey iq, the strength, or the leadership qualities that Weber has. Which will make Weber a much more effective dman for years to come. Chara is still playing great at 41. Lidstrom did as well. No reason to believe Weber wont.
The Habs needed Drouin more than they needed Sergachev. You say we need offence. Drouin will bring that better than Sergachev. Especially if utilized correctly. Which is on the wing. When they get a actual centre for him to play with, he will hit 60+ points. No doubt about it
And Chelios played till he was what?..45? So what man, Weber will have his own life and history. Maybe he gets hurt again next year and he's done for in 3 years, or maybe he plays till he's 45 too. Naming two other Dmen who had long careers is completely irrelevant. It has literally nothing to do with Weber. Zero impact or influence on him and whether or not this trade should have been made. Like, literally, nothing.
I understand at the time if you prefered a guy like Weber, but at this point, it is pretty freaking obvious any team is better with a more agile and puck moving Dman than a stay at home one.
And spare me those magical leadership qualities. They have lead us to...1) fire the coach in his first year, and 2) finish at the bottom in his second year. Not to mention, he was supposed to help direct our actual captain but instead it seems everyone included Max wants himself traded.

Drouin vs Sergachev was another pointless trade. It improved us in no way shape or form. We got a winger when we really needed two centers, and we lost our only blue chip prospect in the process.

Listen, as I said, I understand that at the specific time they were done, you liked those trades. I was against the Weber one, had no problem with the Drouin one assuming he was going to follow it up, which he didn't, at this point though, they are not good trades. At best they are lateral trades, rendering them pointless.

Furthest thing from in way over his head. He didnt have everything available before like he does now. He also didnt have a huge target like Tavares sitting right in front of him, and a pile of cap space to get the job done. You can't say 100% the Habs wont get him just like I cant say 100% they will. Only person who knows this is Tavares, and until he signs somewhere, everyone will be, and is allowed to speculate. Despite what you think. I hope that if you are wrong, youll be big enough to admit it. Just like I will be. I did finish the article by stating if he doesnt utilize it correctly, he could be fired. If he does, and the Habs are successful next season, we will make room for you to jump back on the band wagon :)

Tavares will not sign here, okay, not 100% sure, I am 99.9999999999% sure. How can I know? Because I can use my brain. Why would Tavares sign here to come play on a team who just missed the POs 2/3 years, filled with holes, who heavily relies on a goalie that has been pretty unhealthy and not particularly good??? To make matters worse, taxes are the highest. Why leave NYI to come here for that?? Makes no sense at all.
Because we need a center like Tavares? Yes, a lot of teams do, and they could use some of their other ones as trade bait. So I don't think we land him. If we do, I will be the first to say I was wrong and give him credit for it.
I am not off or on band wagon. I'm a Habs fan, not a Bergevin fan. I cheer for the Habs. Teams employ bad staff and players, it happens. When that becomes obvious, I want those guys gone ASAP, not wait for them to destroy the team even further.
You can keep your pompoms and just endlessly cheer for everyone that is part of the organization, naively thinking they can all be good. It's all fine and dandy. But there are plenty of reason for this GM to GTFO right now.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006

The likelihood of Tavares becoming a free agent on July 1st and open for ANY TEAM to sign shouldn't be painted as an accomplishment by our GM.

Reactions: Captain Wolverine

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
San Jose Sharks are going to have the cap room for Tavares.. they are in a wonderful location, play-off success.. they have depth up front, they have a good defense core.. and they may make it to the WCF this year.

Tough choice though.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

It's just a BS cliche. No athlete likes to lose. Not a single one. You do not reach the highest level of any professional sport by having a complacent attitude. They all have a drive to win. Unfortunately, Max Pacioretty is not the one that decides who he's going to play next to, who will be signed in the summer or traded for.
All he can do is focus on his performance. Whether the team wins or loses is not a single player's doing.
So ya, it can be frustrating to lose, and showing some emotions about it is fine. That said, when it keeps happening, nobody can harbor so much hate and emotion for that long.
They can bring up Gallagher all they want, you see his post game interviews, it's not true that he's always foaming at the mouth with frustration.

Finally, I love how Bergevin says what happened last year is unacceptable...If that's the case than GTFO you idiot.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
San Jose Sharks are going to have the cap room for Tavares.. they are in a wonderful location, play-off success.. they have depth up front, they have a good defense core.. and they may make it to the WCF this year.

Tough choice though.
We have Jono Drouin though...

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Tough choice though.

I'm kind of curious on San Jose actually. They have all sorts of cap space this offseason, but Hertl's coming off a bridge contract and will need to get paid. Kane is a UFA as well and San Jose would need to open up the bank to keep him. Thornton was also a big part of the team when healthy and is UFA. Also, both Couture and Pavelski are UFA's in 2019. Martin will also be UFA then, but his cap-space is going to be important. Meier, Labanc and Goodrow will be RFAs in 2019. San Jose is also a really old team with some good, but not great prospects.

I can totally see San Jose as a destination for Tavares, but they're an older team with a lot of uncertainty the next two offseasons. The D core is the only certainty long term, but Burns is older than Weber and signed nearly as long (and with no back diving contract), Vlasic and Braun are 31 and Dillon is 27. I'm not sure they're a better bet for Tavares than Montreal (at least if we're projecting futures of teams).

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Tough choice though.

Yea I think the Sharks are in a good position to push for him. I don't know what they'd do with one of Couture or Pavelski, though. Unless one is moved to the wing. But both are UFAs after next season (can be extended as of this July 1st). Chances are they trade one of the two if they can land JT.

Sharks will have room to extend Kane and sign Tavares.

San Jose will be interesting to see what direction they take as this year and next year, a lot of their older players will be gone. Thornton, Ward, Hansen, and Fehr are UFA after this season. Paul Martin will be UFA next season. All over 30 years old.

They also have a bunch of RFAs though.

At this moment, with the cap at 75M, they have a little over 15M in cap space with 19 players under contract. By comparison, Habs have a little over 13M with 20 players under contract. So it's pretty comparable in terms of cap and roster space.

Not exactly comparable in weather and organizational success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad