• Should be to be fired

• Be patient

• Keep him is doing a good job

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
There is no reason why after this season we shouldn't be back to winning........ our petty and vindictive rivalries with Toronto Ottawa and Boston.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Adobe_20180422_012056.jpg

Having a little fun with Little Alchemy...

Notice how the thread is purple

Last edited:

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Reality is we need luck.

I have no confidence in MB. Whats even worse is that he is in " need to build a team to make the play offs this coming season to keep my job " mode.

So yeah. We need to win the 1st overall because I dont see how he would dare trade that pick. Any pick after that for sure it is worry time.

Then we need somebody willing to trade us a young unestablished player who could step in next season. Unless its a guy like Borgstrom, who MB might think could help us in 2017-18, then he might not look for a young offensive minded guy and instead trade Patches for God knows what.

Its like the team. Instead of accepting our reality and being able to be excited about the moves that will be made to right things, we are afraid of mistakes being made , we are afraid of losing.

Just stinks. I hate the spot we are in with MBs screw ups, but we have a real chance for hope again. A high 1st pick, 4 2nds, a valuable asset in Patches, we could really fill up the prospect pool here and set us up for better days. Personally I would also be looking at moving Weber fepending on the Draft and what happens July 1.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Reality is we need luck.

I have no confidence in MB. Whats even worse is that he is in " need to build a team to make the play offs this coming season to keep my job " mode.

So yeah. We need to win the 1st overall because I dont see how he would dare trade that pick. Any pick after that for sure it is worry time.

Then we need somebody willing to trade us a young unestablished player who could step in next season. Unless its a guy like Borgstrom, who MB might think could help us in 2017-18, then he might not look for a young offensive minded guy and instead trade Patches for God knows what.

Its like the team. Instead of accepting our reality and being able to be excited about the moves that will be made to right things, we are afraid of mistakes being made , we are afraid of losing.

Just stinks. I hate the spot we are in with MBs screw ups, but we have a real chance for hope again. A high 1st pick, 4 2nds, a valuable asset in Patches, we could really fill up the prospect pool here and set us up for better days. Personally I would also be looking at moving Weber fepending on the Draft and what happens July 1.
Dunno why but every time I think of MB heading into the offseason I think of this

homer-tent-thumb-688x513-676391.jpg

And Molson & Claude in the background

doot-doot-doodle-oodle oot doot do do

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Stastny, JVR, Bozak...don't be surprise if Gudbranson isn't a target...I mean...attitude....who cares if he's slow. And of course Plekanec. That's the guys we will be targeting.

Maybe a bunch of 3rd/4th liners....Antoine Roussel. Jay Beagle....Joel Ward.....I mean....all those superstars.

Phozzwald

Oct 16, 2007
Newfoundland
I don't understand people who say this: ''Molson again stated that he has faith in Bergevin to turn the ship around. When you think about it, why wouldn’t he? In the six season’s Bergevin has been at the helm, the Habs have been very successful. They have three Division titles, four playoff appearances, and one Eastern Conference Final appearance.''
I mean, are you a new Habs fan? Or do you think every reader is one?
Why do you mention this, but leave out the fact Habs have finished towards the bottom two of the last three years, and the other he had to fire the coach he just extended.
So why exactly do you leave this out? You lose your credibility as soon as you do this. There are many many reasons as to why Molson shouldn't trust Bergevin (bottom 10 finishes 2/3 last years, failed to execute his plan of 6 years ago, same problem scoring as when he took over, could not get us a top center, unimpressive group of prospects despite his alleged focus on that...Honestly, the list is ****ing long), if you don't realize that, with all due respect, you Hehave no business writing anything about the Habs.

The fact you can't even establish a timeline here is pretty comical. Are you incapable of seeing how the team progressively got worse the more and more Bergevin put his fingerprints on it?

It's one thing to say you think Bergevin will clean things up this summer but to ask why Molson wouldn't have faith in him anymore makes me wonder if you even followed this team over the past few years, or you're just part of this amateur site and your editor told you to write a piece about Habs.

Furthest thing from a new habs fan. I’ve been a Habs fan for over 20 years. I watch each and every game and follow them very closely. I watched the IceCaps for 2 season analyzing the prospects which the Habs had coming up, which are better then you give them credit for.

You ask me why I leave out the 3 years the Habs missed the playoffs under Bergevin, and then while trying to make your point you only mention the past 3 season and leave out his first three. Why do you leave those out? If I lose credibility for not speaking of 2 seasons out of 6, then it goes both ways, does it not?

Last three seasons:
2015-2016: Lost Carey Price for an entire season after he posted a 10-2 record and the Habs had the best start in franchise history. That was just one injury of many the Habs had that season, including losing basically their whole Dcore. If you follow them as much as you make out you do, you would have recognized this. With the amount of injuries the Habs had that season, it was impossible to compete. Complete write off of a season.
2016-2017: Habs bounce back and win the division title. They did get bounced in the first round by the Rangers, but Lundqvist stood on his head. Habs couldn’t score, which is still an issue, but winning the Division title is not an easy feat, and was a successful season.
2017-2018: Lost their Best defenceman Weber for basically the entire season. Carey Price had a poor year and battled injuries all season. Lost Markov and Radulov and misevaluated the defenceman he picked up. The patchwork D couldn’t fill the holes and not having a true centre killed the Habs. It was really the first bad year The Habs had since Bergevin took over, as I don’t count 2015/16 due to all the injuries. No team would overcome that. Tampa missed the playoffs last year, but is Yzerman a bad gm? Not a chance. Compare their tenures, Bergevin has had more success.

Obviously Molson does believe in Bergevin, if not he would have fired him already. He’s done some good work. Just go look at all the trades he’s made. He made more good moves than bad.

You want to criticize and say I shouldnt be writing for the Habs, thats your opinion. Fact is I am, and will continue too. I don’t need to share your opinion, but you are entitled to have one, as am I. It’s easy to be upset and bash them for a poor season, then jump back on the bandwagon when they have a good one. I look at the work Bergevin has done overall and I like the job he’s done. I’m not alone in this. I’m just not afraid to make it public and take the criticism from fans like yourself. I hope that if Bergevin does turn this thing around like I think he will, you will be able to admit you were wrong. As I will if he doesn’t. Like I said to close out the article, if he doesn’t use his all the tools he has correctly and fails this season then he should be let go. He has everything available to him to completely turn this thing around, and I believe he will do just that.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Furthest thing from a new habs fan. I’ve been a Habs fan for over 20 years. I watch each and every game and follow them very closely. I watched the IceCaps for 2 season analyzing the prospects which the Habs had coming up, which are better then you give them credit for.

You ask me why I leave out the 3 years the Habs missed the playoffs under Bergevin, and then while trying to make your point you only mention the past 3 season and leave out his first three. Why do you leave those out? If I lose credibility for not speaking of 2 seasons out of 6, then it goes both ways, does it not?

Last three seasons:
2015-2016: Lost Carey Price for an entire season after he posted a 10-2 record and the Habs had the best start in franchise history. That was just one injury of many the Habs had that season, including losing basically their whole Dcore. If you follow them as much as you make out you do, you would have recognized this. With the amount of injuries the Habs had that season, it was impossible to compete. Complete write off of a season.
2016-2017: Habs bounce back and win the division title. They did get bounced in the first round by the Rangers, but Lundqvist stood on his head. Habs couldn’t score, which is still an issue, but winning the Division title is not an easy feat, and was a successful season.
2017-2018: Lost their Best defenceman Weber for basically the entire season. Carey Price had a poor year and battled injuries all season. Lost Markov and Radulov and misevaluated the defenceman he picked up. The patchwork D couldn’t fill the holes and not having a true centre killed the Habs. It was really the first bad year The Habs had since Bergevin took over, as I don’t count 2015/16 due to all the injuries. No team would overcome that. Tampa missed the playoffs last year, but is Yzerman a bad gm? Not a chance. Compare their tenures, Bergevin has had more success.

Obviously Molson does believe in Bergevin, if not he would have fired him already. He’s done some good work. Just go look at all the trades he’s made. He made more good moves than bad.

You want to criticize and say I shouldnt be writing for the Habs, thats your opinion. Fact is I am, and will continue too. I don’t need to share your opinion, but you are entitled to have one, as am I. It’s easy to be upset and bash them for a poor season, then jump back on the bandwagon when they have a good one. I look at the work Bergevin has done overall and I like the job he’s done. I’m not alone in this. I’m just not afraid to make it public and take the criticism from fans like yourself. I hope that if Bergevin does turn this thing around like I think he will, you will be able to admit you were wrong. As I will if he doesn’t. Like I said to close out the article, if he doesn’t use his all the tools he has correctly and fails this season then he should be let go. He has everything available to him to completely turn this thing around, and I believe he will do just that.

When did success for the Habs franchise mean winning division titles and just making the playoffs? I thought the end goal was to win the Stanley Cup. Yeah Montreal made it to the Eastern Confernce finals five seasons ago, but since then they have one playoff series win that was four seasons ago. That’s not very successful for a franchise IMO. Ask Washington fans if the seasons they won the Presidents Cup if that team was successful.

On the Yzerman thing - you know his team actually made a Stanley Cup finals appearance (but Montreal won the division that year so you’d probably say the Habs were more successful), and even with injuries they only missed the playoffs last year by 1 point, not 25 points and were only behind the Habs in the standings by 9 points. They are looking good this year but they do have a tough matchup coming up, but they are legitimate contenders this year.

On Weber missing most of the regular season - he played in 26 games they were 10-13-3 in those games and on track for 73 points. And before you blame Price they scored 2 goals or less in 19/26 of those games. Scoring has been difficult for them all season long, that’s not on Price. Shutout 12 times and one goal or less 27 times. How can any team win getting that goal production.

Also like I posted before Montreal has been on a downward trends for years with Bergevin in charge leading to this season where they were fourth last and have the fourth worst prospect pool according to The Hockey News.

Also I’m worried how he is going to use the salary cap room this offseason, especiallly if he doesn’t sign Tavares. I see another Alzner type signing coming Montreal’s way.

Last edited:

Phozzwald

Oct 16, 2007
Newfoundland
When did success for the Habs franchise mean winning division titles and just making the playoffs? I thought the end goal was to win the Stanley Cup. Yeah Montreal made to the Eastern Confernce finals five seasons ago, but since then they have one playoff series win that was four seasons ago. That’s not very successful for a franchise IMO. Ask Washington fans if the seasons they won the Presidents Cup it that team was successful.

On the Yzerman thing - you know his team actually made a Stanley Cup finals appearance, and even with injuries they only missed the playoffs last year by 1 point, not 25 points and were only behind the Habs in the standings by 9 points. They are looking good this year but they do have a tough matchup coming up, but they are legitimate contenders this year.

On Weber missing most of the regular season - he played in 26 games they were 10-13-3 in those games and on track for 73 points. And before you blame Price they scored 2 goals or less in 19/26 of those games. Scoring has been difficult for them all season long, that’s not on Price. Shutout 12 times and one goal or less 27 times. How can any team win getting that goal production.

Also like I posted before Montreal has been on a downward trends for years with Bergevin in charge leading to this season where they were fourth last and have the fourth worst prospect pool according to The Hockey News.

Also I’m worried how he is going to use the salary cap room this offseason, especiallly if he doesn’t sign Tavares. I see another Alzner type signing coming Montreal’s way.

It’s still considered successful. You have to make the playoffs in order to have a shot at the cup. Which is the goal. Look at the Kings the year they finished 8th and won it. Once you get there anything can happen.

Tampa Bay did make the Stanley Cup finals. They didn’t win the cup though. Which in your paragraph before that, doesn’t measure success. So that’s a bit contradicting. If you’re not going to make the playoffs, I’d rather finish dead last and get the better pick. Just my opinion. As I’m sure everyone else would. So them just missing was a failure.

Weber played 26 games, but fractured his foot in game 1. Played through it that whole time. The habs couldn’t score, and I agree this past season was brutal. I said that in my post. This was the one blemish on Bergevin tenure. When speaking of season success. He over valued certain players and wasn’t able to replace what he lost. Having the cap space this offseason with the talent available is much better then last though, and hopefully he can use it to his advantage.

I do subscribe to the hockey news, but again it’s opinions, just like mine and yours. The Hockey News also ranked Ovechkin as the 8th best goal scorer in the league. Which they couldn’t be more wrong about. So I take it with a grain of salt. But do enjoy reading it of course. I watched their prospects grow in St.John’s. They have some solid players. More so depth guys. No elite level game breakers, but that will change this year. As well, they traded for Drouin, who is a game changer when used correctly. I fully expect him to bounce back, if moved to the wing and playing with an actual centre. Kid is oozing with skill.

The Alzner signing was good in theory but never panned out so far. I think a lot of fans expected him to provide more offence but he’s never been that type of player. He moreso replaces Emelin rather than Markov. He looked much better with Juulsen, but it’s a lot to pay a guy on the bottom pairing and can be replaced easily. Hoping he bounces back and places the good defensive hockey he was known for in Washington. But at the moment, that signing has failed for sure. Don’t think he will make a mistake like that this summer.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
Last three seasons:

False. Here is a breakdown of the injuries for 2015-2016:

December 1st, 2016: The last day Habs fan talked about planning a parade.

The first 26 games was incredible, less one bad beating by CBJ, the Habs posted a record of 19-4-3.

Injuries over the first 26 games:
Price 11 games (Condon's record was 9-2-3, sure doesn't look like anyone misses Price)
Emelin 5 games
Gallagher missed 4 games (missed the next 13 as well)
Mitchell 6 games
Semin 3 games (benched and cut during this span)
Smith-Pelly 1 game
Honorable Mention: I remember Jeff Petry playing injured most of that season. No depth on D kept him in the lineup.

Over the next 26 games, the Habs had an abysmal record of 5-20-1

Injuries over the next 26 games:
Price
Gallagher 13 games
Weise 4 games
Smith-Pelly 8 games
Petry 3 games
Flynn
Gilbert

During the collapse, not many important players were missing, less Price, Gallagher and Petry.

At this point in the season the teams spirit is garbage, excuses are flying, Bergevin blaming the players and standing behind a coach that pulls the room apart instead of trying to find a way to bring it back together. Price is injured, all is lost right? That's what they want you to believe. The team now sits 12th in the east, 8 games back of a playoff spot.

Everything after game 52 is a wash. Petry is taken out for the rest of the season, Gilbert shut down. Beaulieu misses time. The Habs throw in the towel.

So please refrain from spewing "Injuries are the reason the Habs wasted the 2015-2016 season". The real reason is the GM was ill prepared for the season in the first place.

Winning the division is the most pointless pat on the back I have ever seen. I would much rather be a wild card team in the Stanley Cup finals then every winning a stupid division title. That's my opinion, not much weight to it.

At the deadline, MB goes after "character" and ignores the few goal scorers available for cheap. As is MB MO, he poorly evaluates his team.

As for Yzerman missing the playoff in this season, his team still performed given all the injuries. They finished 12 games over .500, which is rather painful to miss the playoff that way.

Story of MBs tenure. No depth. Find my posts from June and July 2017; I said if Weber goes down the Habs are finished. The Habs D was pathetic this year. I can't fathom how anyone in charge of MB can trust him after his comment of "The D is better then last year".

I might be hard on MB, but you seem to give him a free pass on most everything he has done.

See red.

Reactions: Habs178

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
It’s still considered successful. You have to make the playoffs in order to have a shot at the cup. Which is the goal. Look at the Kings the year they finished 8th and won it. Once you get there anything can happen.

Tampa Bay did make the Stanley Cup finals. They didn’t win the cup though. Which in your paragraph before that, doesn’t measure success. So that’s a bit contradicting. If you’re not going to make the playoffs, I’d rather finish dead last and get the better pick. Just my opinion. As I’m sure everyone else would. So them just missing was a failure.

Weber played 26 games, but fractured his foot in game 1. Played through it that whole time. The habs couldn’t score, and I agree this past season was brutal. I said that in my post. This was the one blemish on Bergevin tenure. When speaking of season success. He over valued certain players and wasn’t able to replace what he lost. Having the cap space this offseason with the talent available is much better then last though, and hopefully he can use it to his advantage.

I do subscribe to the hockey news, but again it’s opinions, just like mine and yours. The Hockey News also ranked Ovechkin as the 8th best goal scorer in the league. Which they couldn’t be more wrong about. So I take it with a grain of salt. But do enjoy reading it of course. I watched their prospects grow in St.John’s. They have some solid players. More so depth guys. No elite level game breakers, but that will change this year. As well, they traded for Drouin, who is a game changer when used correctly. I fully expect him to bounce back, if moved to the wing and playing with an actual centre. Kid is oozing with skill.

The Alzner signing was good in theory but never panned out so far. I think a lot of fans expected him to provide more offence but he’s never been that type of player. He moreso replaces Emelin rather than Markov. He looked much better with Juulsen, but it’s a lot to pay a guy on the bottom pairing and can be replaced easily. Hoping he bounces back and places the good defensive hockey he was known for in Washington. But at the moment, that signing has failed for sure. Don’t think he will make a mistake like that this summer.

Yzerman has built that team into a contender. In 2014-2015 they made a deep run in the playoffs and had a chance to win it all. They lost in the Eastern Conference finals the next year, they barely missed the playoffs last year because of injuries, and they are legitimate contenders this year. I don’t know how anyone can say Bergevin has been a more successful GM than Yzerman. Have you seen that roster? They’ve won 6 playoff series over the last 4 seasons and counting while Montreal has won one.

Question:

Who had the more successful 2014-2015 season:

Habs won the division lost in the 2nd round.

TB were second in the division lost in the Stanley Cup finals.

Most of the Habs fans here want that, want to be legitimate contenders year after year and make deep runs in the playoffs, giving themselves a chance each season. Not making the playoffs and losing in the first round. If you look at this team now I don’t know in what world anyone can consider them contenders, especially if they can’t sign Tavares. Or see them being contenders in the next couple of seasons.

Last edited:

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
Holy f***.

I can’t anymore. Would Bergevin even be successful if it weren’t for the players he inherited?? The more he puts his fingerprints on the team, the worse it is.

In 2012-2013 he added freaking Prust and Bouillon and they won the damn division. Yea it wasn’t those players. It was the return of Markov and the emergence of young players already in the organization.

2013-2014: He added a fourth line Briere and Douglas freaking Murray. Yea they sure led them to the 3rd round. It wasn’t Price posting a .927 sv% and Pacioretty’s 39 goals.

2014-2015: Parenteau and DSP baby!!

Holy f*** get a grip. Hes a total moron riding previous management coattails.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Holy ****.

I can’t anymore. Would Bergevin even be successful if it weren’t for the players he inherited?? The more he puts his fingerprints on the team, the worse it is.

In 2012-2013 he added freaking Prust and Bouillon and they won the damn division. Yea it wasn’t those players. It was the return of Markov and the emergence of young players already in the organization.

2013-2014: He added a fourth line Briere and Douglas freaking Murray. Yea they sure led them to the 3rd round. It wasn’t Price posting a .927 sv% and Pacioretty’s 39 goals.

Holy **** get a grip. Hes a total moron riding previous management coattails.

The right wing situation is probably the most infurating for me.

2012-2013: Okay I got Erik Cole but he's declining fast. I'm going to do a masterful trade with Dallas and get Michael Ryder. Gotta find a new top six RW though, Gionta is getting older.
2013-2014: Signed career centre Daniel Briere to be a RW and it's not working. Just traded for Vanek at the deadline but he's leaving in the summer. Okay gotta get a new top six RW, Gionta is leaving.
2014-2015: Just traded Briere for Parenteau who can't stay healthy. Gonna be buying him out in the summer. Gotta get a new top six RW.
2015-2016: Just signed Semin and he's out of the league before the new year. Gotta get a new top six RW.
2016-2017: Just signed Radulov... for one year. If I don't sign him I gotta get a new top six RW.
2017-2018: Just signed Ales Hemsky. He's pretty much in the infirmary all year. Gotta get a new top six RW still...

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Maybe that is why you think winning a couple division titles represents success. Did you see their last cup win? Winning the division is highly circumstantial on so many factors and you get nothing for it. PO success is what you should hold your standard at, which was great at first. But now, we have won 1 PO round in 4 years. That is terrible.

Well you said Molson had no reason to not have faith in Bergevin, so I provided you with some of the obvious reasons he absolutely do have reason to doubt him.
If I was going to write an article asking debating whether or not Molson has reasons to doubt him, then I would bring up his entire timeline and discuss the pros and cons. You did none of this. You simply stated you couldn't blame him for believing in Bergevin because he won a couple division titles early on. You were not objective at all in your article and had no interest in discussing both sides of the medal.
So I helped you out by showing the very clear and present dark side of Bergevin's tenure.
Last three seasons:
You are resorting to excuses here. I have no interest in playing this game.
He came in with everything going for him, he was in a very good position to be successful here and he's failed miserably.
We still have issues scoring, our center situation is actually worse, his vision and understanding on how to build a defensive group is way past its time, our group of prospects (as good as you want to claim they are) is not impressive, he just locked 8 years on a goalie who has played 50g once in the last 3 years, his two best players are on the wrong side of 30, there's no puck movement ability from the back end. He extended his minor league staff that provided 1 PO series in 5 years and that is only thanks to a new PO format in the AHL. Now if that was because we kept graduating the solid talent of those teams, that would be fine, but that was far from being the case. Oh...and he just fired that coach..I mean for fox sake mate, the list goes on and on, this is unacceptable.

He's made many pointless trades, and his two biggest ones are definitely not good.
I think Molson is simply tied up with too much money on his staff, getting rid of them would be very expensive. If Bergevin had a year left, he would have been fired.

Bergevin isn't going to fix this. Best case scenario, gets a couple guys, improves the team, we are back into the PO fold. That's it. We are not going to become a contender under Bergevin. He has failed, he is in way over his head, and it's been obvious for years.
He always had everything available to him. Heck, he even had the okay from his boss to trade the most popular and marketable player of this team, and what does he do?...Trades him for a less mobile older Dman in a 1 for 1 swap. f***ing Bravo. What a brilliant and visionary hockey mind...Sure man, this is the year..
:facepalm:

Last edited:
Reactions: Habs178

Montreal Impact FC

.:| Champ's City |:.
Jun 7, 2012
Montreal
Holy ****.

Holy **** get a grip. Hes a total moron riding previous management coattails.

this was clear from day one to me. we had a tremendous young core we were compared to freaking chicago with price subban paccioretty gallagher galchenyuk but noooo here we made sure to hate each one of our players made sure a new mentality was in place to singleout caracter and give all the powers to the jealous players players who dont feel like they should give their 120% when it matters.. congrats to mb you are a real champion.

this City is in his darkest sports erea. all our teams suck big time. Als IMFC and Habs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad