Marc Bergevin: Ch't'un Fighter Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I don't understand...why is there no doubt that PK's donation caused a strain in his working relationship? Why can't the opposite be true? If I worked with someone and found out they donated 10 million dollars to charity, I don't know about you but my respect for that person would increase not decrease. How could a company be upset with being associated with the biggest donation in history and free publicity? Companies literally pay millions to endorse athletes with this type of character, in Montreal we ship them out of town.
Of course the opposite can be true...and if that's you're vantage point, then that's also fine.

See what you quoted there was just my own opinion, it is not a fact.

Did PK use any of the company's resources? Did he do it while on the clock? Is there literally one other person on the planet that needs permission from their boss before donating to charity or just PK? Does he need permission from the boss before he can take a piss too? For a POC your constant projecting of double standards towards PK is quite embarrassing.

Double standard...do I have to highlight the amount of times I said that I have no issues with the way PK handled it?

Just so we're on the record. What have you done to promote awareness for your cause and for your community?

What I have done is irrelevant.

Reactions: Eazy

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
He didn't have to donate. We don't even know for sure they had a problem. They might have not had a problem at all and were really happy he did it but everyone assumed they had an issue. I've yet to hear anyone official say they were against his donation. Or Drouin's donation for that matter. Which was also done in his own name.

417 believes Subban and ownership had a problem. I personally disagree, but he's entitled to his opinion. He thinks they had a problem with the donation and that was a major part of the rift between Subban and the club. I think Bergevin never liked Subban, was forced into signing him, and traded him the very last day he possibly could before Subban's NMC kicked in. There's no right answer. Only opinions.
Not quite.

I read/heard awhile back that the team didn't know about the pledge until the morning.

Based on that hearsay, which I always qualified as such, I have my opinion that IF that's really what happened, I could see why ownership would have a problem, not with the donation, but with the way Subban handled it.

I then added that IMO, that could have led to more strain on the relationship between PK and the organization.

I never said that was the cause of a major rift, I never said many of the things Bryson alluded too.

Reactions: Price is Wright

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Not once did I say 417 claimed Subban was a bad person. Just that he is holding him to different standards.

I haven't held him to different standards and I have no issue with the way he handled his pledge.

You can't find a single post that points to this. You are literally making this up.

Perhaps some reading comprehension is in order. I fail to see why PK had to donate under the Montreal Canadiens name. Were they going to foot the bill? They were already getting free advertising and good will by virtue of being associated with the player. Here's a novel concept. If Geoff wants some good publicity how about he donate some of his Billions of dollars of his own money to charity? Why is it once again that PK is the pioneer and leading by example while the organization is two steps behind?
I literally never argued that he should of donated under the Montreal Canadiens name.

Never lol

The accusatory tone is very much relevant. If 417 is going to accuse PK of not saying this or that or doing this or that then it needs to be known if 417 has done the exact same things he is accusing PK of not doing otherwise it's called being a hypocrit. I thought this much was obvious.
As it relates to the pledge - I haven't accused him of anything.

You've fabricated all of this in your own mind.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Once the Bergevin era is over there should be a tournament of useless to commemorate who was the best useless player Bergevin acquired.

2012-2013: Davis Drewiske/Colby Armstrong
2013-2014: Douglas Murray
2014-2015: Eric Tangradi/Christian Thomas
2015-2016: Lucas Lessio/Mike Brown/Victor Bartley
2016-2017: Andreas Martinsen/Bobby Farnham/Steve Ott/Dwight King/Chris Terry
2017-2018: Ales Hemsky/Logan Shaw/Byron Froese

There's a negative quality 16 right there.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Once the Bergevin era is over there should be a tournament of useless to commemorate who was the best useless player Bergevin acquired.

The guy whose name has a phonetic connection to the minors, is probably the best self-fulfilling prophecy of garbage amongst the worst of the worst: Bobby Friggin' Farmhand.

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
I wonder if any team in the league would rather have Bergevin as GM than their current one. Is Montreal the worst managed team in the entire NHL? Looking back over his disastrous tenure it isn't that hard to compare him to guys like Milbury and McPhee.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

I vote for Murray He once swept up two Bruins along the boards with one check and ended up freezing the puck for like 30 seconds with his stick and strength they couldn't budge him. He also decked Patrice in game 6 which inspired PK to take it all away from them.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
And how hard is it to really come up with a "we're very proud of X player's generous contribution to X, he's a real credit to the organization/community/city"?

Oh it's hard man. It's hard for people who are control freak. It's hard for people who have an ego bigger than the entire city. It's hard. It is so hard that even if it would make the team better, there were just not enough room for him and them. Thing is, as history suggest, players will STILL be in the game while the GM will be director of player personnel, the coach will be scouting and the Director of Medias will be director of Medias for another company......The REAL tough and best guys should not be afraid to surround themselves with better and stronger people. They don't do that here. Hence the results. Did PK always conducted himself the right company way? Yeah, clearly not. In the end, who the f*** cares when the results are there. And when the fans love the show he provides. Now, everybody works in line, REsults suck. So is the show. Mission accomplished.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
I vote for Murray He once swept up two Bruins along the boards with one check and ended up freezing the puck for like 30 seconds with his stick and strength they couldn't budge him. He also decked Patrice in game 6 which inspired PK to take it all away from them.
Douglas Murray didn't play game 6 vs the Bruins. He had been so bad in the previous couple of games that Therrien finally got a clue and scratched him in favour of Beaulieu. It had gotten so bad that the Bruins were intentionally targeting Murray's side of the ice every time they entered the zone because Murray was so g-d slow at that point he couldn't do a thing to stop them unless they ran into him.

Murray never played another NHL game after that. That's how bad he was. That's how bad he'd been all stinking season, but the neanderthals who ran the club were willfully blind to it almost to the point of it being too late.

Reactions: Tighthead and Roke

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I wonder if any team in the league would rather have Bergevin as GM than their current one. Is Montreal the worst managed team in the entire NHL? Looking back over his disastrous tenure it isn't that hard to compare him to guys like Milbury and McPhee.
Maybe the Oilers with Chiarelli but other than that everyone else sees him as a disaster(artist).

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal

I really can't believe this guy is still here and got an extension on top of his terrible work

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Douglas Murray didn't play game 6 vs the Bruins. He had been so bad in the previous couple of games that Therrien finally got a clue and scratched him in favour of Beaulieu. It had gotten so bad that the Bruins were intentionally targeting Murray's side of the ice every time they entered the zone because Murray was so g-d slow at that point he couldn't do a thing to stop them unless they ran into him.

Murray never played another NHL game after that. That's how bad he was. That's how bad he'd been all stinking season, but the neanderthals who ran the club were willfully blind to it almost to the point of it being too late.
Still remember that.

And there were tons of people who defended him too. And think about this, at one point Subban was paired with him. :laugh:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He didn't have to donate. We don't even know for sure they had a problem. They might have not had a problem at all and were really happy he did it but everyone assumed they had an issue. I've yet to hear anyone official say they were against his donation. Or Drouin's donation for that matter. Which was also done in his own name.

417 believes Subban and ownership had a problem. I personally disagree, but he's entitled to his opinion. He thinks they had a problem with the donation and that was a major part of the rift between Subban and the club. I think Bergevin never liked Subban, was forced into signing him, and traded him the very last day he possibly could before Subban's NMC kicked in. There's no right answer. Only opinions.
And he could very well be right on that point. Not with the donation/action itself but because he did it on his own. At the very least it probably didn't help things.

Anyways, let's just move on from this.

Reactions: 417

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

I'm not sure how you could forget Cube. Bonus points for us having used him on the PP.

And btw, I always liked Bouillion. But getting him back at that point and actually giving him yet another year was hilarious.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
And he could very well be right on that point. Not with the donation/action itself but because he did it on his own. At the very least it probably didn't help things.

I won't bother clarifying my stance...you did it for me and it'll come off better from you than it would me lol

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
No mention of Ben, here to stop the historic collapse and save the season, Scrivens? I am disappoint.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
[mod]

I'm still trying to wrap my brain around this. Does anybody actually think that Koivu caused a rift with the team when he donated 750K for the hospital's cancer department? Did anyone accuse him of being selfish and only doing it because he want's to be captain? Were the Canadiens involved in that somehow?

For whatever reason PK wanted to do this on his own. If so this is news to me. Probably explains why there were no teammates in attendance. As somebody implied, if there was a rift it speaks more to the leadership of this team than it does of PK who is insanely marketable, doesn't smoke, drink, party or put the company in any compromising situations. There is literally nothing to hate about PK aside from being "too NBA".

Last edited by a moderator:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I'm still trying to wrap my brain around this. Does anybody actually think that Koivu caused a rift with the team when he donated 750K for the hospital's cancer department? Did anyone accuse him of being selfish and only doing it because he want's to be captain? Were the Canadiens involved in that somehow?

For whatever reason PK wanted to do this on his own. If so this is news to me. Probably explains why there were no teammates in attendance. As somebody implied, if there was a rift it speaks more to the leadership of this team than it does of PK who is insanely marketable, doesn't smoke, drink, party or put the company in any compromising situations. There is literally nothing to hate about PK aside from being "too NBA".
It's not about a "rift" between the team, it's about ownership wanting control of branding. And it's all speculative.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
5 more days

4ea.jpg

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
It's not about a "rift" between the team, it's about ownership wanting control of branding. And it's all speculative.
I think it's much ado about nothing. This administration sucks but I don't think anybody cares about this.
Could be wrong, and if that's the case, well then the people in charge are even worse than I thought, which is hard to imagine considering how low I view them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad