Recalled/Assigned: Maple Leafs Recall Nikita Soshnikov from Marlies

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
He was great and deserved to be higher up in the lineup but I don't think he will be on the first two lines. Even on the Marlies he was always on the line with Gauthier.

So 3rd with Kadri it could be.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Sosh really stood out and made an impact. Liked what I saw from him and made his linemates better.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
My issue, if I can call it that, with Soshnikov is that he's generally not great at using his teammates. That's been highlighted as the reason he was played further down the lineup with the Marlies as well, because he created offense by himself. Which is of course both a good and bad thing.

I think going forward he's going to find a place next to Koma - Kadri, or he's going to be part of a high-end fourth line.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Sosh impacts the game by driving up energy and drawing his linemates and teammates into the battle.

He doesn't need a centre to create his chances as he is self made and can generate his own.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
He looks really really good out there. Deserves top 6 minutes.

JVR - Matthews - Nylander
Soshnikov - Kadri - Marner
Komarov - Bozak - Brown
Martin - Smith - Hyman

Call up Kapanen and Leipsic when Bozak and JVR get traded :D

Doc300c

Jun 18, 2014
Mississauga
Martin - Hyman - Soshy

Think of the grit, speed and fore checking this would bring.
Would drive other teams nuts with constantly being fore checked, hit and then a touch of skill when you underestimate the 4th line.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Martin - Hyman - Soshy

Think of the grit, speed and fore checking this would bring.
Would drive other teams nuts with constantly being fore checked, hit and then a touch of skill when you underestimate the 4th line.

This could well be our 4th line when we win the cup in 2020. :D

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
soshnikov needs to be up higher in the lineup he was fantastic last night, if he can get smith and martin points imagine what he could do on a Kadri or Matthews line

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
soshnikov needs to be up higher in the lineup he was fantastic last night, if he can get smith and martin points imagine what he could do on a Kadri or Matthews line

.... Soshnikov as others have said, doesn't use his linemates a lot. He battles hard and likes the puck on his stick. That's why he's a little better used on the 4th line.. where he throws the pucks at the net, and take the puck hard to the net and lets his 4th line teammates plug away at loose pucks.

It will be interesting to see how long Hyman lasts on the Matthews Nylander line... he's a bit of a black hole in terms of shooting and passing, but he does win alot of offensive zone battles, and wins alot of races to the puck... and I saw yesterday, a couple times where he came and disturbed the puck carrier enough that Nylander just swooped in and grabbed the puck/Hyman tied up defender... and then Nylander made a play with it.

It's too bad that Hyman doesn't have a little more hockey sense... thing is, I don't know if their is another player in the league with the motor and work ethic of Hyman/who actually has noteable puck skills? Zuccarello maybe?

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
After 40 minutes last night, I was calling for him to be one of the 3 stars. He quieted down in the 3rd, but the way he exploded back onto the scene in his first game of the season was so much fun to watch, and he seemed to have me on the edge of my seat every time he stepped on the ice during the first 2 periods.

Can't wait to see more from him.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
After 40 minutes last night, I was calling for him to be one of the 3 stars. He quieted down in the 3rd, but the way he exploded back onto the scene in his first game of the season was so much fun to watch, and he seemed to have me on the edge of my seat every time he stepped on the ice during the first 2 periods.

Can't wait to see more from him.

He only played 6 sec after the 11:07 mark of the 3rd.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Looked great last night. He should be playing with Nylander and Matthews in the next couple weeks. Would love to see a lineup like this:

Soshnikov-Matthews-Nylander
JVR-Bozak-Marner
Komarov-Kadri-Brown
Martin-Holland-Hyman
Griffith

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
.... Soshnikov as others have said, doesn't use his linemates a lot. He battles hard and likes the puck on his stick. That's why he's a little better used on the 4th line.. where he throws the pucks at the net, and take the puck hard to the net and lets his 4th line teammates plug away at loose pucks.

It will be interesting to see how long Hyman lasts on the Matthews Nylander line... he's a bit of a black hole in terms of shooting and passing, but he does win alot of offensive zone battles, and wins alot of races to the puck... and I saw yesterday, a couple times where he came and disturbed the puck carrier enough that Nylander just swooped in and grabbed the puck/Hyman tied up defender... and then Nylander made a play with it.

It's too bad that Hyman doesn't have a little more hockey sense... thing is, I don't know if their is another player in the league with the motor and work ethic of Hyman/who actually has noteable puck skills? Zuccarello maybe?

If Soshnokov doesn't use his team mates what does Hyman do? Soshnikov is just as ferocious on the forcheck and is pretty fast, maybe not as fast as Hyman. But then you also have Soshnikov with a very good shot. So you reason for not moving Sosh up doesn't make sense when you have Hyman skating around on the top line

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He looks really really good out there. Deserves top 6 minutes.

JVR - Matthews - Nylander
Soshnikov - Kadri - Marner
Komarov - Bozak - Brown
Martin - Smith - Hyman

Call up Kapanen and Leipsic when Bozak and JVR get traded :D

I like those lines quite a bit...:

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Maybe to interject some energy into bozak and jvr, we split them up

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Sosh-Bozak-Marner
JVR-Kadri-Brown
Martin-Smith-Komarov

maybe marner and sosh develop something. He plays with more of an edge than JVR does, so he'll do the dirty work like Hyman does for the Matthews-Nyalnder line and also provides skill to help create with Marner like Nylander and Matthews can create for eachother.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Yep, hard not to be quiet with that kind of ice time.

I think the Leafs brass are going to take the same approach as they did with Brown. Start him on the 4th line then let him work his way up

Even in the 4th line I am happy. That line was good last night, hitting and creating chances. As long as Holland never plays again, I am happy

schenneuf

Jul 4, 2011
Hunter said the scout who recommended Sosh also recommended Korshkov. Think about it.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
If Soshnokov doesn't use his team mates what does Hyman do? Soshnikov is just as ferocious on the forcheck and is pretty fast, maybe not as fast as Hyman. But then you also have Soshnikov with a very good shot. So you reason for not moving Sosh up doesn't make sense when you have Hyman skating around on the top line

Everyone has their own opinion, I feel like Sosh is great for the 4th line. While I feel like Hyman has been good for the first line... he has to be one of the hardest workers in the nhl, Soshnikov is great but I don't feel like he muscles as well as Hyman. Also I don't feel like Hyman is as much as a pest as Sosh. Hyman doesn't stir up the opponent which is good for Matthews and Nylander. Meanwhile Sosh is incredibly pest like and pissed the opponent off, which is why he's good paired with Martin. Sosh can do his thing and not worry to much about being bullied like last season.last season he was getting targeted and pushed around Alot and eventually was injured.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad