Recalled/Assigned: Maple Leafs Recall Nikita Soshnikov from Marlies

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
People were saying in a thread a week ago that Griffith should get the opportunity to play over Sosh....

:laugh:

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
People were saying in a thread a week ago that Griffith should get the opportunity to play over Sosh....

:laugh:

Griffith deserves to be in the lineup ahead of Smith.

All this proves is that signing Martin was a stupid mistake. We have so many guys that could have played for us.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009

All this proves is that signing Martin was a stupid mistake. We have so many guys that could have played for us.

I've seen Ben smith contribut in a few different ways. The same cannot be said for Griffith.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
I've seen Ben smith contribut in a few different ways. The same cannot be said for Griffith.

Well I don't know what you were watching because he was easily the best 4th liner when he played and you could see Babcock agreed because he had him up with Kadri on some shifts. He is far more skilled than Smith and cycled the puck effectively. Maybe you had the two confused.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

I saw ben smith win a really important faceoff yesterday... which is exactly what he was brought in for..also he scored yesterday.

I like griffith but I feel like we'd have to lose one of bozak or jvr for him to get a chance. .. or of course have an injury. Which really is too bad because I thought he showed some pretty good offensive potential when hes played.

But.... it just shows our depth right now. Our depth rookies are guys like connor brown who I believe won a scoring title in the chl or nearly anyway. .. and he isn't even in the lineup because of his offensive, he made it because of his work ethic and willingness to play a 300 foot game.

Or a guy like Hyman who might not be scoring...but literally is one of the hardest working players in the nhl right now.

Soshnikov who is a wrecking ball and sh** disturbed.

It's pretty easy to see what gets you into the leafs roster... as a guy like Holland is learning, it's definitely not being the guy who the others guys work hard for.

Pretty cool to see guys like brown, marner, Soshnikov and even Hyman out there busting their butt's and it's great for our future. gonna be hard to beat soon enough.

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
I saw ben smith win a really important faceoff yesterday... which is exactly what he was brought in for..also he scored yesterday.

I like griffith but I feel like we'd have to lose one of bozak or jvr for him to get a chance. .. or of course have an injury. Which really is too bad because I thought he showed some pretty good offensive potential when hes played.

But.... it just shows our depth right now. Our depth rookies are guys like connor brown who I believe won a scoring title in the chl or nearly anyway. .. and he isn't even in the lineup because of his offensive, he made it because of his work ethic and willingness to play a 300 foot game.

Or a guy like Hyman who might not be scoring...but literally is one of the hardest working players in the nhl right now.

Soshnikov who is a wrecking ball and sh** disturbed.

It's pretty easy to see what gets you into the leafs roster... as a guy like Holland is learning, it's definitely not being the guy who the others guys work hard for.

Pretty cool to see guys like brown, marner, Soshnikov and even Hyman out there busting their butt's and it's great for our future. gonna be hard to beat soon enough.

Brown was a steal of a pick for the Leafs. They drafted him in the 5th round when he was 17, and on a crap Erie Otters team. Then they finally added some firepower the following season, and Brown won the league's scoring title, while setting a new Otters record for points in a season with 128. Strome beat that record the following season by 1 point, but as we all know, if McDavid was healthy the whole season, he would've smashed that record into oblivion. He had something like 120 pts. in 44 games.

So there is a good possibility that Brown could even surpass Strome at the professional level. You're right about his work ethic. Brown has continued to improve each year. Most noticeably in his skating. It was the biggest flaw he had when he was drafted, now he's actually pretty damn quick.

He is shaping up to be one of those late round steals, it's awesome.

edit: I forgot to add that he also lead in rookie scoring in the ahl in the 14-15 season, with 61 pts. in 76 games.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
Would like to see:

Soshnikov-Matthews-Nylander
JVR-Kadri-Marner
Brown-Bozak-Komarov
Hyman-Smith-Martin
Griffith/Holland

Oh man! Yes please! Great lines.

I am a big fan of Hyman and Sosh.

But I think Sosh can do everything Hyman can do plus be a much bigger offensive threat.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Would like to see:

JVR-Kadri-Marner
Brown-Bozak-Komarov
Hyman-Smith-Martin
Griffith/Holland

Eventually that will be the top line.
Marner needs to get away from JVR though, he's killing him.
Swap him with Brown

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
Would like to see:

JVR-Kadri-Marner
Brown-Bozak-Komarov
Hyman-Smith-Martin
Griffith/Holland

I'd probably keep Kadri on the checking line but I like Sosh with Matthews/Nylander. I'd probably also put Martin in the press box, but that isn't gonna happen.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Would like to see:

JVR-Kadri-Marner
Brown-Bozak-Komarov
Hyman-Smith-Martin
Griffith/Holland

Swap him with Brown

Which would give us this:

Brown-Kadri-Marner
JVR-Bozak-Komarov
Hyman-Smith-Martin

I like it. For me the problem with all the combos I've seen is JVR - the guy is such a lazy plug and no line with him looks good. This seems to be a really good option for him though as it keeps him with Bozak with whom he's had success in the past, puts them against other 3rd lines so they should be able to hold their own and Komarov on that line should help mitigate his lazyness, maybe he'll even inspire him a little. Bozak and JVR are playing poorly, maybe a shot of Komarov and playing against 3rd liners is just what they need to get going.

The other lines seem really good too, would be very excited to see Kadri with those wingers!

Someone on this forum mentioned the book about scouting called Future Greats and Heartbreaks. I'm reading it now, it takes place around the time before JVR was drafted, it mentions that JVR has a rep for being lazy. Can't say I was surprised, getting really tired of his lazy ass. I'll go on record now as saying he will not be with the Leafs past his current contract. Does not seem like the kind of player Babcock wants, he's certainly not the kind of player I want.

The sooner we get him off this team the better IMO. Play JVR with Bozak and Komarov against 3rd lines, hope they get on a bit of a roll and trade JVR (and Bozak) for whatever you can get for them by this years trade deadline at the latest, sounds like a plan to me.

Last edited:

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
Swap him with Brown

Agreed. But I'm willing to bet they're going to shop JVR. So they want him to get max points for a max return. Which means keeping him on a line with a top notch winger.

Long term, I agree. Having Brown on a line with him would be pretty awesome. Connor's always had a really good shot. Now that his speed has improved, he could keep up with Marner's play.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
JVR Matthews Marner
Soshnikov Nylander Kapanen
Komarov Kadri Brown
Martin Gauthier Hyman

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Well I don't know what you were watching because he was easily the best 4th liner when he played and you could see Babcock agreed because he had him up with Kadri on some shifts. He is far more skilled than Smith and cycled the puck effectively. Maybe you had the two confused.

You're better off not to argue with Ernie when it comes to former OHL players, ESPECIALLY former London Knights.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
So how about Nikita Dmitrievich Soshnikov?

Do you see him as a 4th line checking forward beyond this year? Is he being groomed to take over uncle Leo's role eventually?

He seems to be a willing pupil in the school of Babcock and the line of Martin Gauthier Soshikov has been effective in its role.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
So how about Nikita Dmitrievich Soshnikov?

Do you see him as a 4th line checking forward beyond this year? Is he being groomed to take over uncle Leo's role eventually?

He seems to be a willing pupil in the school of Babcock and the line of Martin Gauthier Soshikov has been effective in its role.

I don't see why that 4th line can't be our 4th line for another 3 seasons.

People will want Soshnikov "higher" in the lineup, but people generally care too much about line numbers. That line has a role, and it's doing a fairly good job at it.

We also have to remember that we have Kapanen and Leipsic coming up, possibly this year.

So it's possible Soshnikov eventually moves up, and Leipsic begins in that role.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB

People will want Soshnikov "higher" in the lineup, but people generally care too much about line numbers. That line has a role, and it's doing a fairly good job at it.

We also have to remember that we have Kapanen and Leipsic coming up, possibly this year.

So it's possible Soshnikov eventually moves up, and Leipsic begins in that role.

I could see Leipsic replacing Soshnikov and them moving Sosh higher up.

I think we could see JVR dealt and replaced with Kapanen.

Probably Sosh either replaces Komarov and Komarov is dealt at the TD, or they move Sosh/Leipsic down till next year.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I could see Leipsic replacing Soshnikov and them moving Sosh higher up.

I think we could see JVR dealt and replaced with Kapanen.

Probably Sosh either replaces Komarov and Komarov is dealt at the TD, or they move Sosh/Leipsic down till next year.

Yeah, I can see Leipsic staying down until next year.

JVR dealt for a D, and Kappy brought up. Something like;

Hyman - Matthews - Brown
Nylander - Bozak - Marner
Komarov - Kadri - Kapanen
Martin - Gauthier - Soshnikov

I'd probably swap Nylander/Brown as well

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Yeah, I can see Leipsic staying down until next year.

JVR dealt for a D, and Kappy brought up. Something like;

Hyman - Matthews - Brown
Nylander - Bozak - Marner
Komarov - Kadri - Kapanen
Martin - Gauthier - Soshnikov

I'd probably swap Nylander/Brown as well

Seems like a solid plan. Leipsic has the grit/skill/speed combo that Babs likes to roll on that 4th line. Sosh must be bursting to get on the ice more and release that shot of his and antogonize opposing players more often lol.

If we could only turn JVR & Bozak & prospect(s) into a quality d-man that would be a win/win. I guess Philly was thinking the same thing when they acquired Schenn - gulp.

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
Would like to see:

JVR-Kadri-Marner
Brown-Bozak-Komarov
Hyman-Smith-Martin
Griffith/Holland

So give Kadri a role that he has done very well with and then move him to another role?

Also Matthews from all reports prefers to play with Hyman, the coach prefers him with Hyman. So you know more than the coach? Don't touch the lines, period

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015

Whether that line accomplishes its job or not isn't the point. Limiting Soshnikov to 10min a game with Martin/Goat isn't the best environment to develop his talent. Its the same reason why Leipsic and Kapenen are playing 15-20 with the marlies instead of that spot.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
I pointed out that Hyman and Matthews had a thing going on, pretty close to the start of the season. Just seems like they are very close friends. And as we all now know, Matthews loves being fed the puck, and why wouldn't he with that insane ability to finish?

Soshnikov has been barely noticeable this year, yet seems to have a secured spot. I will have to watch a lot closer, to see what he is doing out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->