Recalled/Assigned: Maple Leafs Recall Nikita Soshnikov from Marlies

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Except he'd have more assists if this was the case - but he doesn't.

The bulk of Nylander and Matthews production as been on the PP when they are away from Hyman. They haven't put up a lot of offense 5v5 when they are all on the same line

Just because they haven't been putting up points 5v5 doesn't mean they haven't been putting up offence.

They've been the best 5v5 players on the team (including Hyman), and one of the best 5v5 lines in the NHL.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Watch.
The.
Games.

Willy chips and circles.
Ol snake eyes digs it out
Ol snake eyes throws it to the D.
The D throw it on net or to 29/34
Ol snake eyes digs.
Repeat until 29/34 turn it over.

Watch Nylander. He carries it in by himself almost never. You just see it when he does it because he's sexy as ****!

Where did snake eyes come from did you just make it up, or has it been said elsewhere. It is really a strange nickname for a hockey player suits a poker player better.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Watch.
The.
Games.

Willy chips and circles.
Ol snake eyes digs.

Watch Nylander. He carries it in by himself almost never. You just see it when he does it because he's sexy as ****!

I see Nylander battle for picks all the time ditto for Matthews.

If Hyman's job at puck retrieval was working we'd see them put points on the board. But that doesn't happen.

Hyman is a good player - he just shouldn't be on that line or used in that role

pgk

Jun 24, 2014
I'm done on this now, but if you don't believe in Hyman you don't believe in the Shannyplan, because everyone in the organization from Dubas and Hunter and Keefe and Babs and Lou all swear by this guy up one side and down the other. He is the rebuild. He is the future. Do some reading and educate yourself about what his job is out there. Watch the games and watch hyman, watch the **** he does in the corners or to beat guys to pucks on the forecheck. Don't hate this kid, he's there for a reason.

pgk

Jun 24, 2014
Where did snake eyes come from did you just make it up, or has it been said elsewhere. It is really a strange nickname for a hockey player suits a poker player better.

I just made it up he wears 11. 1-1.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I'm done on this now, but if you don't believe in Hyman you don't believe in the Shannyplan, because everyone in the organization from Dubas and Hunter and Keefe and Babs and Lou all swear by this guy up one side and down the other. He is the rebuild. He is the future. Do some reading and educate yourself about what his job is out there. Watch the games and watch hyman, watch the **** he does in the corners or to beat guys to pucks on the forecheck. Don't hate this kid, he's there for a reason.

oh I don't hate the kid, I think he is a good player out of his depth. Snake eyes for life

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON

Yikes. He's a decent player and I like him on the Willy/Matthews line, but if you're being serious about how "he is the rebuild. He is the future" you're just plain wrong. There are 50 guys just like him in the NHL, and he's not exactly tough to replace.

pgk

Jun 24, 2014
Just because they haven't been putting up points 5v5 doesn't mean they haven't been putting up offence.

They've been the best 5v5 players on the team (including Hyman), and one of the best 5v5 lines in the NHL.

Those are some enlightening graphs! Look at Phil! lol!

Duckrider

Oct 6, 2015
Everyone is right. This fanbase can't handle a rebuild. Just *****ing and moaning for the sake of *****ing and moaning. Did hyman **** all your mothers? Not one person ragging on Hyman has seen all 9 games this year. And probably checked out from the team in 2013 and is just now showing up to comment because we have new shiny ponies. This is brutal

lol I have watched 6 out of the 9 and I have not yet thought to myself if only Matthews had someone with some skill to play with. As for points there are two rookies on the same line that are what 1 and 2nd for Calder so far? Hyman is not bringing them down. Sure putting someone there with more skill could help them more but that would also make a different line weaker at the same time.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Sosh put up better numbers in the NHl than AHL last year, I believe. Some guys are like that - need a bit of that extra motivation and perform better as the level of competition rises.

I wouldn't mind putting Brown next to Matthews and Nylander, and maybe Sosh can rejuvenate Komarov on Kadri's line.

Hyman should probably be on the 4th.

I mentioned that yesterday on another thread.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=123874159&postcount=331

He started behind everyone else as he was coming off an injury. I think he's just coming into form right now & has looked more dangerous the last few games. Having said that, Kapanen & Leipsic have 100% earned the first call ups & it wouldn't hurt to ensure Soshnikov is back at the top of his game before he comes up.

One thing with Soshnikov, he seemed to raise his game level to a higher notch in the NHL when he came up last year. Some players are like that, give them the tougher competition & the better they play. It might be worth a call up to see if that's the case again. (plus I like his shoot-outs & goal celebrations)

I don't think you can argue that Leipsic & Kapanen deserve a call-up, but Soshnikov may fit the needs more right now. He's been more of a threat the last few games after doing a little catch-up following his absences with pre-season.

I love his game, hits hard, great shot, 200" game & real fun to watch.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I don't think this was earned from Soshnikov. Leipsic would've been the obvious choice. Everyone mentions the guys that aren't all that good that Babcock loves because of the way they play. From the Leafs prospect pool that is definitely Hyman and Soshnikov. They haven't showed much offensive upside in comparison to their peers. But, they're the type of worker bees that he falls in love with.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Yikes. He's a decent player and I like him on the Willy/Matthews line, but if you're being serious about how "he is the rebuild. He is the future" you're just plain wrong. There are 50 guys just like him in the NHL, and he's not exactly tough to replace.

I still haven't worked out if he was serious. It was all written very overly dramatic which could be sarcasm. I would say there are far more than 50, any player who realizes he isn't skilled enough to make it to the NHL will start playing that way to get on a team for their hard work. Each team as at least 2.

pgk

Jun 24, 2014
I still haven't worked out if he was serious. It was all written very overly dramatic which could be sarcasm. I would say there are far more than 50, any player who realizes he isn't skilled enough to make it to the NHL will start playing that way to get on a team for their hard work. Each team as at least 2.

You guys don't get it. Hyman is why you need to believe in the Shannyplan. Because our kids can't play as well as he can because they've never had to try as hard as him. Do you want more kessel backchecks? That's what you'll get if you don't put hyman out there with them. You'll get under achieving eberles and halls and nugent ****ing hopinkses! You need to learn to love the process, hyman is the process.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Leivo's conditioning stint is weird. It's a "Bona Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception Conditioning Loan", which per the CBA it seems to mean the player has to be on LTIR to be able to use it. Leafs don't need his LTIR cap room but maybe he was tossed on LTIR retroactive to the last time he played in preseason so we'd be able to do this, and we just didn't hear about that part. If he was put on LTIR he's be eligible to come off after tonight's game so it would have no affect on his game eligibility post conditioning stint.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
If you take a 60 pt scorer and put him on a line with 2 50pt scorers, it doesn't necessarily mean you'll have a line with 3 60pt scorers.

A single line can only have so much ice time, spread the skill out, stop trying to put it all on one line and say "LOL that's DEADLY" because "deadly" lines become fairly average when you try and play them 25min a night over an 82 game season against your opponents top shutdown players.

That is the best line in the NHL right now. Seriously. If Hyman was being effective on that line they would not be the best line in the NHL, Matthews and Nylander aren't *that* good, trust me.

Leave your Marners, and your Soshnikovs and your JVRs and Kadris available for more skill lines. So Matthews/Nylander can play 18min per night and stay effective in the last 10 games of the season, and have a second scoring unit that can play 18min per night, score lots of goals, and stay effective in the last 10 games of the season.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
You guys don't get it. Hyman is why you need to believe in the Shannyplan. Because our kids can't play as well as he can because they've never had to try as hard as him. Do you want more kessel backchecks? That's what you'll get if you don't put hyman out there with them. You'll get under achieving eberles and halls and nugent ****ing hopinkses! You need to learn to love the process, hyman is the process.

yes many more kessel back checks please especially when he plays the leafs. Nylander and Matthews are twice as good now than Kessel is at back checking so strange point.

Hyman is good man I like him happy he is on the leafs I would prefer he wasn't on their line. If you move Hyman the other 2 will keep scoring, him winning the puck is not really helping them score that much other wise he would get more assists. Unless somehow after every time he battles the puck out a dman comes and passes to Matthews who passes to Nylander for a goal.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
yes many more kessel back checks please especially when he plays the leafs. Nylander and Matthews are twice as good now than Kessel is at back checking so strange point.

Hyman is good man I like him happy he is on the leafs I would prefer he wasn't on their line. If you move Hyman the other 2 will keep scoring, him winning the puck is not really helping them score that much other wise he would get more assists. Unless somehow after every time he battles the puck out a dman comes and passes to Matthews who passes to Nylander for a goal.

You do realize Hyman is shooting at a better rate than them? He has the puck on his stick quite a bit more than they do. And yes, Hyman is mostly fetching the puck and pushing it back to the defenders, as another poster has stated many times.

EDIT: That's incorrect, I misread, Hyman does not shoot more than the both of them. But not far behind, despite not scoring. But he isn't going to finish the season with 0 Sh%

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach

RNH is pretty damn decent coming back. Solid TWF.

Hyman just isn't converting and a guy with better hands should be on the first line.

TMLS

Oct 30, 2013
London, Ontario
Everyone is right. This fanbase can't handle a rebuild. Just *****ing and moaning for the sake of *****ing and moaning. Did hyman **** all your mothers? Not one person ragging on Hyman has seen all 9 games this year. And probably checked out from the team in 2013 and is just now showing up to comment because we have new shiny ponies. This is brutal

have you watched hymen in the games? ya he works like a horse and forechecks, but FAILS to get the puck to either nylander or matthews bc he lacks skill big time. usually plays are set up by matthews/nylander to each other anyway, just look at the point total. hyman goes fore checks but as soon as he gets the puck the play just dies bc he doesnt have the skill to get it matthews or nylander. just pay attention tonite, how many times the play dies once he retrieves the puck. at best hyman is a 4th line winger and has no business being in a scoring line.

sosh plays similar style but can finish and has more skill to keep the play going.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
Except he'd have more assists if this was the case - but he doesn't.

The bulk of Nylander and Matthews production as been on the PP when they are away from Hyman. They haven't put up a lot of offense 5v5 when they are all on the same line

So Nylander and Mathews need to step up there games 5v5 then... It's obvious to me that you don't understand the x's and o's all that much because if you did you would know that it's Hyman who has been the dominant player on that line that keeps play in extended offensive zone shifts. He's also been better than both defensively and it's not even close either.

Just wait until game 35 and beyond how the tenacious play from Hyman carries over to the other 2. Babcock knows what he's doing. If you break that line up it's not Hyman who needs to be broken away it's one of Nylander or Mathews.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015

You're silly.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
Watch.
The.
Games.

Willy chips and circles.
Ol snake eyes digs.

What are you talking about? Willy carries it more than anybody on that line. He is often the one responsible for gaining the zone. Matthews even dishes it to him in the neutral zones, so he can attempt the zone entry. I assume by sexy as..., you mean flashy. I think Willy just isn't flashy enough for you.:dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad