Recalled/Assigned: Maple Leafs Recall Nikita Soshnikov from Marlies

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
He's the glue to that line and a big reason for Nylander's & Mathews early success so far. Take him away and that line becomes a line that get's hemmed in the d zone stuck playing defense and limited to an off the rush line that isn't winning team hockey.

There's so much positive with Hyman on that line that doesn't show up in point production. Frankly he's the only one currently on the team that provides the attributes to complement the other 2 to be at there SKILLED best.

When you look at precisely what the knock is with JVR is that he doesn't compete or play the game like Hyman does. If he did provide the grunt work Hyman does JVR would be with them but sigh! JVR and his other gumption less line mate have been put to play with Marner and no it's not to compliment Marner but more so to hide the lack of compete in them and hopefully Marner ( WHO'S EVERYWHERE AND COVERS A MASSIVE AMOUNT OF ICE) can drag some compete out of them.

Hyman's effectiveness is in the x's and o's of structured 5 man unit hockey. He doesn't have to be a huge point producer 5v5 with Mathews & Nylander just provide what he does because the result is what both Mathews & Nylander have produced.

It's not Nylander scored, or Mathews scored it's the TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS SCORED.

Yup. It's easy to look at the point totals and go hmm, get someone else in there but it's not that simple. Obviously he's the lesser talent on that line to put it mildly but he has his role to play, he's playing it well and isn't getting enough credit for his work. Well not getting credit on these boards I should say, seems like Babcock appreciates what he brings and that's what really counts. It's quite possible that at some point, Hyman's spot on that line is taken by someone else (maybe Soshnikov) but there's no reason to think it's a big mistake do not have that happen right away.

Nice post! :)

And back on topic, so happy to see Soshnikov back, not sure who I'm looking forward to seeing play more, him or McDavid!

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Meh. Really hope he doesn't take Griffith out of the lineup, he's been great. Hope Holland/Smith are benched.

I'd be okay with Martin - Griffith - Sosh

Edit: Dammit, why the **** is Smith playing over Griffith. Griffith has been great.

Last edited:

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
Lamoriello must be reading this thread. He knew we were on to him.

Josh Leivo was assigned to the Marlies on a "long-term conditioning stint"

It was pretty obvious that he was going to go down on a conditioning stint.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Meh. Really hope he doesn't take Griffith out of the lineup, he's been great. Hope Holland/Smith are benched.

Not sure what everyone is seeing in Griffith. He's been average at best, wouldn't be surprised to see him on waivers again soon

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
He's the glue to that line and a big reason for Nylander's & Mathews early success so far. Take him away and that line becomes a line that get's hemmed in the d zone stuck playing defense and limited to an off the rush line that isn't winning team hockey.

There's so much positive with Hyman on that line that doesn't show up in point production. Frankly he's the only one currently on the team that provides the attributes to complement the other 2 to be at there SKILLED best.

When you look at precisely what the knock is with JVR is that he doesn't compete or play the game like Hyman does. If he did provide the grunt work Hyman does JVR would be with them but sigh! JVR and his other gumption less line mate have been put to play with Marner and no it's not to compliment Marner but more so to hide the lack of compete in them and hopefully Marner ( WHO'S EVERYWHERE AND COVERS A MASSIVE AMOUNT OF ICE) can drag some compete out of them.

Hyman's effectiveness is in the x's and o's of structured 5 man unit hockey. He doesn't have to be a huge point producer 5v5 with Mathews & Nylander just provide what he does because the result is what both Mathews & Nylander have produced.

It's not Nylander scored, or Mathews scored it's the TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS SCORED.

Well said.

People also forget that Matthews has 40% of his points on the power play and Nylander 64%. Hyman doesn't play the PP.

If you put JVR out there, who is going to crash and bang on that line? I don't want Matthews doing that. Hyman is also responsible for gaining the zone with his tip ins when Nylander/Matthews can't carry it in.

Also, that line gets hemmed in a bunch. How bad would it be if JVR was there, instead of Hyman.

Personally, I think Leivo would be perfect with those 2. He does a lot of what Hyman does (Hyman is better at it though) and has the skill and shot to be pretty effective.

Also, Soshnikov should be with Kadri and Komarov even though he was great on the fourth line with the Marlies last year. Another thing people forget when they look at his point totals last year. He started last year on the 4th line and played his way up.

On a side note, I really like the Kapanen/Gauthier/Soshnikov line that the Marlies are running this year.

Leipsic should be the next call up.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Not sure what everyone is seeing in Griffith. He's been average at best, wouldn't be surprised to see him on waivers again soon

I've thought the same, he looks solid as a player but not as talented as I would have thought for someone with his AHL numbers. I could have potted that gift that Nylander gave him to redirect into an open net from 3 feet

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost

Edit: Dammit, why the **** is Smith playing over Griffith. Griffith has been great.

I don't get it either. Smith sucks.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON

His fancy stats: CF% at 61.82, his xGF% is 62.30, and his SCF% is 71.43. All three lead the team. Oh what's that? He's been leading our team playing with Ben Smith and Matt Martin more than 60% of the time? - holy ****.

He's still getting used to the NHL, his point production will catch up once he plays with some real players.

Everyone's going to love Sosh because of his compete, but I guarantee Sosh will be nowhere near as good as Griffith has been.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
His fancy stats: CF% at 61.82, his xGF% is 62.30, and his SCF% is 71.43. All three lead the team. Oh what's that? He's been leading our team playing with Ben Smith and Matt Martin more than 60% of the time? - holy ****.

He's still getting used to the NHL, his point production will catch up once he plays with some real players.

did you see any scouting reports on him? I just assumed by his AHL production that he was a talent player but haven't seen that in him yet

He's looked fine as a bottom line guy, obviously can get and keep the puck

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
did you see any scouting reports on him? I just assumed by his AHL production that he was a talent player but haven't seen that in him yet

He's looked fine as a bottom line guy, obviously can get and keep the puck

He's small, high compete, and skilled. Just because he hasn't produced in three NHL games with the Leafs doesn't mean he won't produce. His advanced stats show he's been unbelievable (small sample size) and has literally carried Ben Smith into being a respectable player.

He would be a great addition to any of the top 3 lines, and is probably a better player than Soshnikov at this point.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013

Everyone's going to love Sosh because of his compete, but I guarantee Sosh will be nowhere near as good as Griffith has been.

It's only been 3 games, 2 of which they actually got good goaltending. Having said that, if they had a centre for the fourth line, I would take him over Smith.

Actually, I would just put Bozak on the 4th line, with Griffith and Martin and give Willy his own line. We all know that won't happen. At least not yet.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

He's currently on pace for less than 10 points despite playing with the the team's leading offensive players. That's a bad point pace for somebody getting 4th line minutes, let alone prime 5v5 usage.

Nylander and Matthews also seem to battle themselves for pucks quite a by and are both solid defensively.

i think you could replace Hyman with any number of players and the line would be as successful, if not more so.

Last edited:

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
It's only been 3 games, 2 of which they actually got good goaltending. Having said that, if they had a centre for the fourth line, I would take him over Smith.

Actually, I would just put Bozak on the 4th line, with Griffith and Martin and give Willy his own line. We all know that won't happen. At least not yet.

Holland, Griffith, and Gauthier are easily better options than Smith. It's really not close.

I wouldn't be opposed to making Bozak the 4th line C for the sole reason of Willy getting his own line, but Bozak is really taking some undeserved flack lately. He's really not as bad of a player as people are making him out to be.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
He's currently on pace for less than 10 points despite playing with the the team's leading offensive players. That's a bad point pace for somebody getting 4th line mi Utes, let alone prime 5v5 usage.

Nylander and Matthews also seem to battle themselves for pucks quote a by and are both solid defensively.

i think you could replace Hyman with any number of players and the line would be as successful, if not more so.

Last year he played and produced better with the grinders over the skilled players on the marlies. Maybe that's why he did/(hopefully)does well with Komo and Kadri? They seem to grind the puck around more than nylander and Matthews.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
He's small, high compete, and skilled. Just because he hasn't produced in three NHL games with the Leafs doesn't mean he won't produce. His advanced stats show he's been unbelievable (small sample size) and has literally carried Ben Smith into being a respectable player.

He would be a great addition to any of the top 3 lines, and is probably a better player than Soshnikov at this point.

Ya I'm not knocking him for a lack of production in 3 games, I just haven't seen a display of anything flashy yet which I thought he would have with those numbers. By the same token I would want to see the advanced stats over a longer period. He did miss a wide open cage on a Nylander set up that he should have potted, that's the only time I've noticed something negative

He's a centre too, so even if he has a very positive effect on possession and shots for/against surplus he's a valuable piece

Speaking in generality, I like the idea of picking up guys on waivers who have had big success in other pro leagues (AHL, SHL, KHL, Liiga) and haven't really had a chance in the NHL, seems like a good way to catch lightning in a bottle

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
He's currently on pace for less than 10 points despite playing with the the team's leading offensive players. That's a bad point pace for somebody getting 4th line minutes, let alone prime 5v5 usage.

Nylander and Matthews also seem to battle themselves for pucks quote a by and are both solid defensively.

100% this. Hyman very quickly is becoming vastly overrated. He is good, his work ethic is great to see but when you are on pace for 10 points there is no justifying playing that high in the line up. As you said I have seen more of Nylander & Matthews battling for pucks. That is why I think soshnikov is the perfect linemate for them, he can battle but also has regular human hands as opposed to Hyman's stone ones

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
I would love to see Soshnikov-Kadri-Marner. That line would be magical. Soshnikov his a great shot and plays very gritty. Kadri is a great 2 way guy who has offebsive prowess and Marner can set up a lot of plays for them.

pgk

Jun 24, 2014
Everyone is right. This fanbase can't handle a rebuild. Just *****ing and moaning for the sake of *****ing and moaning. Did hyman **** all your mothers? Not one person ragging on Hyman has seen all 9 games this year. And probably checked out from the team in 2013 and is just now showing up to comment because we have new shiny ponies. This is brutal

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Everyone is right. This fanbase can't handle a rebuild. Just *****ing and moaning for the sake of *****ing and moaning. Did hyman **** all your mothers? Not one person ragging on Hyman has seen all 9 games this year. And probably checked out from the team in 2013 and is just now showing up to comment because we have new shiny ponies. This is brutal

No you are right, all hail Hyman the greatest of the great, he is the best of the best, how dare anyone not like him and all of is 1 point in 9 games. And if anyone disagrees you are not a true leaf fan

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Don't think Sosh will be gong back down he's gonna remind everyone why we like him so much. I know Babs loves him and Hyman so..

pgk

Jun 24, 2014
No you are right, all hail Hyman the greatest of the great, he is the best of the best, how dare anyone not like him and all of is 1 point in 9 games. And if anyone disagrees you are not a true leaf fan

I know it's hard to take your eyes off 29 and 34 but if you look really hard between 2 or three opposition bodies you'll see snakes eyes in the corner digging the puck out while the kidlets float around on the dots.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I know it's hard to take your eyes off 29 and 34 but if you look really hard between 2 or three opposition bodies you'll see snakes eyes in the corner digging the puck out while the kidlets float around on the dots.

haha ok ill keep an eye out for snake eyes (great nickname for someone with 1 point!)

edit: also im not really interested in an internet argument. You like Hymen,I don't at least not on that line he is for sure an nhl player. Differences make the world go round you cand sit back and watch Hymen ill sit back and watch the other 2.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Except he'd have more assists if this was the case - but he doesn't.

The bulk of Nylander and Matthews production as been on the PP when they are away from Hyman. They haven't put up a lot of offense 5v5 when they are all on the same line

pgk

Jun 24, 2014
Except he'd have more assists if this was the case - but he doesn't.

The bulk of Nylander and Matthews production as been on the PP when they are away from Hyman. They haven't put up a lot of offense 5v5 when they are all on the same line

Watch.
The.
Games.

Willy chips and circles.
Ol snake eyes digs it out
Ol snake eyes throws it to the D.
The D throw it on net or to 29/34
Ol snake eyes digs.
Repeat until 29/34 turn it over.

Watch Nylander. He carries it in by himself almost never. You just see it when he does it because he's sexy as ****!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad