Recalled/Assigned: Maple Leafs Recall Nikita Soshnikov from Marlies

ToneBone03

Trust the Shanaplan
Dec 11, 2008
Central Newfoundland
Had he not gotten injured he likely would have been with us since the start. Sosh is an instant shot in the arm for the team. He plays with a radiating energy that rubs off on his teammates. Great to see him up!

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Take advanced stats ...and my memory of them with a grain of salt.
But thought I remember seeing Soshnikov had faced against some of the easiest opposition among NHL players while Griffith faced some of the toughest.

pgk

Jun 24, 2014
Take advanced stats ...and my memory of them with a grain of salt.
But thought I remember seeing Soshnikov had faced against some of the easiest opposition among NHL players while Griffith faced some of the toughest.

Sosh played with Kadri and Leo against top competition and came out poorer than both of them, but still in positive percentages. He may be less defensively reliable than Naz and Leo who are a pretty good shutdown pair, but even if he is, he brings a really potent shot to that line which is something neither 43 or 47 have. All three are nasty and hard to play against, that's a really good shutdown line. I don't think Brown will stick there very long into tonight's game.

On a related note, we should all be pretty disappointed in Kadri's shot. He was told all last season he had to work on it over the summer and he clearly hasn't done it. He still has a muffin and isn't really high-danger unless he gets room to dangle. That said, his defensive game is leaps and bounds ahead of where he was 2 seasons ago so that is a major positive. If and when Matthews takes over as 1st line matchup C, Kadri may well blossom into a scorer again when given softer QoC.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
No Griffith is kinda unfortunate though.

I thought Griffith has looked decent.. The ahl is the place for him this year though. He needs to be able to contribute more offensively to properly develop for his style of play. He will never see those minutes on the leafs. But there is more value for the leafs in stunting his development then giving him away, so he will stay in the press box

I also think this is why you're seeing sosh get the call before guys like kapanen and leipsic. Sosh is an energy player. Those two are skill players. Different development paths.
Sosh can come in now and be effective at his game. It's good for his development, and the leafs, to be in the nhl.

For the players we hope leipsic and kapanen can be, we need them to hone their skill in an atmosphere they are capable to do so night in/night out. The ahl.

pgk

Jun 24, 2014
This is the stat chart I am referring to. To clarify: he came out in positive % against all competition, but did get buried a bit by elite comp, but so did Naz and Leo. Edit to say sample size is small. We can't really know what he is yet.
CnwCh0TWcAIGJrC.jpg

pgk

Jun 24, 2014
It's Kadri's decision where he plays up the lineup

I think his point was that for at least the forseeable future, kadri is our #1 matchup C. The act of listing him as the 4C in a roster projection is disrespectful.

And no, it's not really Kadri's decision. Because that implies he could play himself off the team, which as a core player signed to a multi year deal, he can't. Except by literally not showing up at the rink.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
Love Sosh. Great to see him back up. Although poor Leivo, he gets the Lupul treatment before he even makes the bigs.

Falon

May 21, 2004
Kitchener, Ontario
I think his point was that for at least the forseeable future, kadri is our #1 matchup C. The act of listing him as the 4C in a roster projection is disrespectful.

And no, it's not really Kadri's decision. Because that implies he could play himself off the team, which as a core player signed to a multi year deal, he can't. Except by literally not showing up at the rink.

They have to play him as the matchup C. There is really no other option and Babcock knows it. Once Bozak is gone, and someone else can take that job, Kadri will take his strong two way play to a scoring line. Seems right now they are waiting for Goat to be ready for that role.

Auston Powers

May 16, 2016
Toronto
I wish they would try...

Komarov - Kadri - Soshnikov
JVR - Bozak - Marner
Brown - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - Smith - Martin

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
There are so many question marks to this roster it's not even funny, and this just amplifies it some more. What is going on with Leivo? Why did they claim Smith/Griffith/Corrado if they aren't going to play? Somethings gotta give here where we clear out some bodies.

There's really only two answers:

Either Lou and co. know what they're doing and working some magic

or

They are making a god damn mess.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Seriously, thinking about it, the Leivo situation is so odd :laugh:

He was placed on IR, then it was said he was skating and practicing and about to return, and then now he hasn't been seen/heard in a week.

Starting to think this "Robidas Island" is an actual Island :laugh:

pgk

Jun 24, 2014

He was placed on IR, then it was said he was skating and practicing and about to return, and then now he hasn't been seen/heard in a week.

Somewhere out in georgian bay, maybe nipissing?

Leivo and Corrado are both in weird spots. The Shannyplan is real.

Wolves

Jan 25, 2016
Poor Leivo/Corrado, not just because I'm a Wolves fan either lol. Great to see Sosh getting a chance though, needed something to get excited about after that stinker in Brooklyn.

Side note I like how Griffith has played so far, obviously quiet and limited viewing but he's been fairly responsible with the puck. Tough to be a skill guy playing on that line too I would imagine.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

the one from lost probably

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Lamoriello must be reading this thread. He knew we were on to him.

Josh Leivo was assigned to the Marlies on a "long-term conditioning stint"

pgk

Jun 24, 2014
Lamoriello must be reading this thread. He knew we were on to him.

Josh Leivo was assigned to the Marlies on a "long-term conditioning stint"

:laugh::laugh::laugh: I must be too close. It IS nipissing!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad