Confirmed with Link: Maple Leafs Officially Sign Calle Rosen | Also Sign Andreas Borgman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Not that I agree with you even a little bit but in your own words wouldn't these signings mean something going forward if said poo thrown at the wall does happen to stick?

And I'm not sure how fringe second pairing players = throwing **** at the wall. Not that I think they're even at that level, because I've never seen them perform (and I expect the majority of others in the thread to be the same). But let's say they are, that's pretty valuable depth then and could provide flexibility for future roster moves.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
19 points in 41 games for rosen (23 years)
21 points in 52 games for holm (25 years)
15 points in 45 games for borgman (21 years)

holm stats aren't that great when age is considered.

Plus, playoffs included, Borgman had 25 points in 59 games.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Possible depth players, who may or may not grow to be regular NHLers.

It's a low risk, potentially high reward scenario, but let's not get carried away on what these guys are and are not.

And apparently Borgman is more known for his defense.

Bob McKenzie made a point to emphasize that Borgman was a defensive-minded Dman, who's offense doesn't quite come naturally despite what the numbers may say.

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
yay free wallets. Even if they do not work out, it shows management is at least trying to make the organization better. This does mean that we have fewer contract spots though especially with the advent of the 2015/2016 draft picks and free agency.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
don't have to fill them...would argue the opposite actually, the writing for us having contract limit issues is on the wall with a boatload or draftees still to sign, yet management thought that it was worth steering into that iceberg to get these two guys

These 2 players and Aaltonen, are basically free 2nd/3rd round draft picks that have developed perfectly, and are strong players yet to enter their prime.
There's potential for both of them to be top 4 defenseman one day.(Borgman especially)

I'd much rather have them signed than our random, undeveloping 5-7th round picks that have flopped.

Animal

Oct 10, 2012
Possible depth players, who may or may not grow to be regular NHLers.

It's a low risk, potentially high reward scenario, but let's not get carried away on what these guys are and are not.

Bob McKenzie made a point to emphasize that Borgman was a defensive-minded Dman, who's offense doesn't quite come naturally despite what the numbers may say.

Unless I missed something, you've got the names wrong. He said this about Holm. I can't find anything from Bob Mckenzie on Borgman.

Animal

Oct 10, 2012
These 2 players and Aaltonen, are basically free 2nd/3rd round draft picks that have developed perfectly, and are strong players yet to enter their prime.
There's potential for both of them to be top 4 defenseman one day.(Borgman especially)

I'd much rather have them signed than our random, undeveloping 5-7th round picks that have flopped.

I don't know about that, I think 31 teams would've been interested if that was the case.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Nice signings. Please stop trading guys on our D now, we haven't "loaded up", we've added depth and maybe someone pans out and actually becomes NHL caliber. Let's not over react.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
gardiners agent knows he wont get more than 4.5 a year to boot ...gards wants out

What? Lol, maybe Matthews wants out and Mitch as well. Nylander too, actually they all want out. You just make this stuff up as you go along right?

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton

I'm certainly willing to give management the benefit of the doubt, they've done exceptionally well to this point. I'd be trying to find space for a guy like Korostelev just in case he finds his consistency (knowing full well that the likelihood is that he flops), but compared to the Desrocher/Walker/Bobylev/Mattinen's of the world for sure I'd say write them off and try to do better

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Nice signings. If they don't work out, they don't work out

Only thing I can say is,:

LD: Borgman, Dermott, Desrocher, Greenway, Middleton, Nielsen, Rosen, Valiev

RD: Holl, Lindgren, Mattinen

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
And I'm not sure how fringe second pairing players = throwing **** at the wall. Not that I think they're even at that level, because I've never seen them perform (and I expect the majority of others in the thread to be the same). But let's say they are, that's pretty valuable depth then and could provide flexibility for future roster moves.

Fringe second liners?????????

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
There's absolutely nothing to dislike about these moves. It costs us nothing in terms of assets, and they are both low risk high reward acquisitions.

member 262271

There's absolutely nothing to dislike about these moves. It costs us nothing in terms of assets, and they are both low risk high reward acquisitions.

To some people there is everything to dislike about anything.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Nice signings. If they don't work out, they don't work out

Only thing I can say is,:

LD: Borgman, Dermott, Desrocher, Greenway, Middleton, Nielsen, Rosen, Valiev

RD: Holl, Lindgren, Mattinen

Valiev plays more RD these days, and likely will in the future. Probably his only shot at the NHL here.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Nice signings. Please stop trading guys on our D now, we haven't "loaded up", we've added depth and maybe someone pans out and actually becomes NHL caliber. Let's not over react.

Bye bye Gardiner... Hello Trouba ;)

This definitely spells the end to Hunwick on the LD though, and I would not be shocked to see Gardiner go as well. If he can get us a top pairing RD, we can find a good LD in FA to play 2LD for a few years (Daley, Kulikov, etc. on a two-year deal; whoever is willing to take it) before giving way to Borgman, Dermott, Rosen, Greenway, Nielsen, etc. down the line.

We definitely aren't moving him for futures like we likely will with JvR or Bozak though (when we hopefully move them). It'd be a similar or greater quality RD or bust.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Loading up on all these young D signings make me think will be going BPA in the draft and not looking for a defensemen if we dont trade our pick. I think this is great as I am not completely sold on the defensemen around our range in the first round.

These Swedish D are potentially NHL ready in 2018 so it shouldn't have any bearing on players 3 or more years away. When picking in the second half of a weak first round, it would probably make no sense if you actually were completely sold on someone.:)

When I look at Valimaki, Hague, Timmins, Foote and Brannstrom that is a pretty good selection to choose from, and if they nail down whoever the best of these guys is, I suspect it could be a very good pick. If they opt for a D man, this diverse group means they do not have to reach to fill the organizational weakness. If they should take a forward in spite of all these guys still on the table that tells me said forward is the best available player by a fair margin (like their #10-12 guy was still there at 17).

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Here's a NYR fan in Sweden on Borgman. His thoughts from an April game.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=130333177&postcount=844

I saw Borgman yesterday for he first time since the report broke that we are after him. A few thoughts.

-Bad news first, and it's really the only bad news, his edge work is a bit behind. You would like to see him be a bit more on his toes in his skating, a bit more explosive in his movement pattern defensively.

-Defensively, he is built like a Bull. He got a Tie Domi head, feels like it don't fit in the helm. Very strong upper body. I am not 200% sold on his positioning, but he is good in physical battles. Decent speed when heading home to fetch pucks etc.

-In the transition game he is very good at creating openings to make an out let pass. Very confident, determined and responsible when pressured. Like he can often go into a corner to fetch a puck, make an offensive hit on the first forechecker, stickhandle past another guy trying to cut him off with nice high caliber moves, before making an outlet pass. This is something that stands out in his game. Very modern in this sense.

The outlet pass it self could be a bit better though. It's decent, but I didn't really see any above avg QB ability when moving the puck.

-Offensively he has a good shot, and again he is very good at making plays with the puck. Like a typical situation is where he gets a pass on the blueline. Raises his stick to shoot and then sees a defending forward coming at him taking away the lane, and instead of shooting a low percentage shot he turns around to shield the puck with his body. Gets around the forward coming at him and can take a few strides into the zone before he shots. He is very strong on the puck.

But he isn't that fast when joining the play.

Room for improvement? I would bet that Borgman can bench press like close to 330 lbs going by how he is built right now. Think he is the type that shouldn't do a single upper body excercise the coming decade. Slim down a little bit, and focus on core and legs. He is a bit too heavy.

Overall would like to get him for sure. Could very well never get farther than HFD. But he is a good player. Will be there on the verge. Could become a contributor in the NHL.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Lou is definitely up to something.

This can't be random. Loading up on LHD, all looking for an opportunity to play, and we only have 1 open LHD slot available? Nah, something is UP!!!!

Can we be done with the damn season already and fast-forward to the Expansion Draft????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad