Confirmed with Link: Maple Leafs Officially Sign Calle Rosen | Also Sign Andreas Borgman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I hope they start AHL for us and then get a shot at the big league, don't want to risk burning them out if they aren't ready.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
wow loading up on defensemen, im predicting a big trade coming in. Im guessing Carrick or maybe even Gardner in a package with one of our forwards (JVR, Leivo, Kapanen) for a top 2 defensmen.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Gardiner's days are numbered, Leafs don't need his brain cramp mistakes, my opinion.

Would be willing to wager serious money that Gardiner is going nowhere, and is highly regarded by our management.
He was an absolute beast in the playoffs.
Don't count his giveaways, count his clean exits and offensive ablility.
I know, you will have to count past one or two, but you will see it makes a difference if you try to see the glass 90% full rather then slightly empty.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Holm was probably a mistake from the Swedish end of things. If he was signing they probably would have announced it with these 2.

Hard to say.

He was more interesting then Rosen to me. Pretty solid SHL stats.

Dahlman1221

Jan 1, 2016
Awesome! Reports linked upwards of 5 teams to Borgman and 3 (incl. Chicago) to Rosén. We managed to scoop up both.

Their age is also promising. I'm assuming both intend to compete for a roster spot but at 21 and 23 respectively, each can afford a development year if necessary.

Wonder if a Holm signing is still coming or whether that was just an error on the part of the Swedish press.

Most likely just an error

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Gardiner's days are numbered, Leafs don't need his brain cramp mistakes, my opinion.

The difference now is our management thinks like guys like me... Why we sucked for a long time? They thought like guys like you.

Animal

Oct 10, 2012
Not sure how signing two kids who've never played in the NHL means Gardiner is going anywhere.

Leafs need to add blueline depth, this hopefully helps that

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
Hard to say.

He was more interesting then Rosen to me. Pretty solid SHL stats.
19 points in 41 games for rosen (23 years)
21 points in 52 games for holm (25 years)
15 points in 45 games for borgman (21 years)

holm stats aren't that great when age is considered.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Not sure how signing two kids who've never played in the NHL means Gardiner is going anywhere.

Leafs need to add blueline depth, this hopefully helps that

yeah definitely doesn't mean a thing trade-wise. would be no shock at all if both started the year as Marlies.

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
Set the bar for me... If we went back a few years and these guys were draft eligible,,, and knowing where they are on their development curve at this stage,,, these guys could realistically have been chosen in what,,, the 2nd round??

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
wow loading up on defensemen, im predicting a big trade coming in. Im guessing Carrick or maybe even Gardner in a package with one of our forwards (JVR, Leivo, Kapanen) for a top 2 defensmen.

:laugh: what?

Khabby

Mar 3, 2007
Halifax
Loading up on all these young D signings make me think will be going BPA in the draft and not looking for a defensemen if we dont trade our pick. I think this is great as I am not completely sold on the defensemen around our range in the first round.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
These signings mean literally nothing going forward. theyre like fringe #4 or #5 dmen that theyre throwing poo at the wall and hoping sticks. Nothing more, nothing less. 50 roster spots, gotta fill em.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
These signings mean literally nothing going forward. theyre like fringe #4 or #5 dmen that theyre throwing poo at the wall and hoping sticks. Nothing more, nothing less. 50 roster spots, gotta fill em.

Not that I agree with you even a little bit but in your own words wouldn't these signings mean something going forward if said poo thrown at the wall does happen to stick?

hallonskal

Jun 1, 2010
These are some good signings buy Maple Leafs.

Borgman played like a vet this year, even though it was his first year in SHL. I don't think he could have been that far off the World Championship squad.

Rosén has also looked really good with Växjö, even though you don't normally hear much about him. He has had som solid development in the last two years.

I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of them turned out to be a decent to good NHL-player.

Being as I know nothing about any of these guys, is Holm considered to be the best of the 3 at this point in time? Most NHL ready?

I'd personally rank them Borgman > Rosén > Holm, but it is very close and more about what kind of playstyle you like the most. You can't say that one is clearly better or more NHL-ready at this point. If I would have to make a guess at this point I would say that Rosén probably would fare the best in NHL right now, mostly because he would have an easier time to fill his role than Borgman or Holm would. If I had to choose one for my SHL-team I'd choose Borgman though, but I guess that isn't interesting for you guys.

Last edited:

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton

don't have to fill them...would argue the opposite actually, the writing for us having contract limit issues is on the wall with a boatload or draftees still to sign, yet management thought that it was worth steering into that iceberg to get these two guys

These are some good signings buy Maple Leafs.

Borgman played like a vet this year, even though it was his first year in SHL. I don't think he could have been that far off the World Championship squad.

Rosén has also looked really good with Växjö, even though you don't normally hear much about him. He has had som solid development in the last two years.

I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of them turned out to be a decent to good NHL-player.

thanks - would be great to get more Swedish posters' take on these two

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
In other news, my sources (can't name them) have confirmed that on Friday the Leafs will announce that they signed the rest of Europe too. Like, the continent itself and everything it contains.

Is that you Eklund?

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Would be willing to wager serious money that Gardiner is going nowhere, and is highly regarded by our management.
He was an absolute beast in the playoffs.
Don't count his giveaways, count his clean exits and offensive ablility.
I know, you will have to count past one or two, but you will see it makes a difference if you try to see the glass 90% full rather then slightly empty.

gardiners agent knows he wont get more than 4.5 a year to boot ...gards wants out

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
I don't know anything about these two, but overall a good move. Defensemen are so much harder to predict than forwards so keep throwing darts at the board and between draftees and signings like this, if you get 1-2 quality NHL defensemen out of it, it's a huge win. With the talent upfront for the Leafs, I'd be going heavy on defensemen after the 1st round in the upcoming draft.

I think they'll BPA but I have a feeling that we will trade our first, at least.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Expect both to start the season with the Marlies. Pleased with the signings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad