Confirmed with Link: Maple Leafs Name Laurence Gilman Assistant General Manager

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Why don't you guys judge for yourself. He told the Carolina owner to his face that he would never hire Rod Brind'amour or anyone who had never been a head coach at any level.

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040/sekeres-price-may-9-hour-2-1.1081054

He was also fired from Vancouver because he was the dissenting voice to Benning.

He was valued by Gillis because he was the dissenting voice.

Maybe he would be first in line if Dubas fails, but I doubt he will be a "yes man".

You can just google "Sekers and Price Hour 2", and the date of any wednesday going back to last september ish.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Valid, I'm going to leave most of your post alone, as it's mostly personal opinion anyways.

One question, is who would you deem to be an expert on the subject of Lawerance Gilman in the role of an AGM? A few people beyond yourself obviously.

Would Canucks fans be experts?
Would Canucks management be experts?
Would you consider legitimate NHL insiders to be experts?
Would leafs management be experts?
You obviously think that there's a few "experts" on this subject, and I'm curious what they think.

Thanks!

I think it's tough. Right off the bat, fans carry no weight with me. No more than when I used to listen to AM640 take post game calls did I value those people who claimed to be experts on how to fix the Leafs. 99.9999% of fans will just give opinion, no fact. Not based on experience.

Execs who talk publicly about other people in hockey generally can't be trusted because they usually just tow the Corporate line and won't speak ill about their fellow execs (it's a small world afterall).

I have people I respect, who's opinion I value, and there's people I know who will give their real opinion honestly but off the record. For the record, I haven't talked to anyone about this hire, I'm just looking at it purely from an optics perspective.

Its great some fans think this guy is a genius, but those same types of fans on the Leafs side will swear Dubas is a genius even though he has yet to prove himself at this level. So I barely consider those opinions, because they're just as irrelevant to me. Not meaning that in an insulting way, just being matter of fact.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
But you are literally here posting for hours every day, writing lengthy posts conversing with randoms. That conclusively refutes this, and demonstrates an incredible lack of self-awareness, or outright trolling.

I just share my opinion. No more no less.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
I'm a little bit concerned that he has a bit of 'nuck funk on him, but he's only an assistant GM so it shouldn't matter too much. I'm pretty sure his only function will playing yes man to our junior hipster GM while waiting to steal his job if the kid fumbles. That has to be the attraction here for Gilman, a chance to pick at the carcass first if Dubas crashes. I know Shanahan mentioned talking to GM candidates both inside and outside the organization before chosing Dubas, I wonder if Gilman was one of the outside the organization candidates. Maybe this isn't a Dubas hire, but a Shanahan hire.
If he's nothing but a yes man to Dubas, and Dubas falters, and Shanahan fires Dubas because he faltered, why do you think he would replace Dubas with a guy who was nothing but a yes man to Dubas?

The notion that Shanahan was looking into him as well in regards to the GM role is an intriguing one, though, and would inspire even more confidence in me that this hire has a chance to pay real dividends. I believe, however, that Shanahan's intention all along has been to put in place someone who could help grow this team for literal decades, and that he has spent the majority of his Leafs tenure grooming Dubas to be just that person.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Seems like the type of hire I expected. Unemployed for years, desperate to get back in the league and willing to work for a young GM with no reputation in the league.

The good thing is it sounds like he'll have Dubas' old role which means he'll have very little to no impact on the organization.

Unimpressive hire though.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Its literally not. Its random. Its like being named on the top 50 celebrities for people magazine. Just whoever the writers decided to write about. Enjoyed reading the discussion though.
Ok there is criteria to even make the list of people who are considered.
Honestly take your bias out of your eyes

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Is he the guy who said that? :laugh:

I know everyone is entitled to their opinion but geez.

I think we'll see the Leafs hire a scouting "hockey guy" sometime after this draft to help run that in the future. No problem here for running this year's without one.
Yup thats him.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
I think it's tough. Right off the bat, fans carry no weight with me. No more than when I used to listen to AM640 take post game calls did I value those people who claimed to be experts on how to fix the Leafs. 99.9999% of fans will just give opinion, no fact. Not based on experience.

Execs who talk publicly about other people in hockey generally can't be trusted because they usually just tow the Corporate line and won't speak ill about their fellow execs (it's a small world afterall).

I have people I respect, who's opinion I value, and there's people I know who will give their real opinion honestly but off the record. For the record, I haven't talked to anyone about this hire, I'm just looking at it purely from an optics perspective.

Its great some fans think this guy is a genius, but those same types of fans on the Leafs side will swear Dubas is a genius even though he has yet to prove himself at this level. So I barely consider those opinions, because they're just as irrelevant to me. Not meaning that in an insulting way, just being matter of fact.
So, so far, no one else besides yourself is an expert on this topic and you trust no one else's opinion?

For the record, I would honestly love to get along with you, but you make it so so hard, with your outlandish opinions, hot takes, and 'im the only expert' thinking. The 'im smarter than everyone' stuff is so unbearable when you're plain wrong and illogical half the time.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
The thing is, it takes years to judge whether or not someone is a good GM or bad GM or coach. Is Dubas or Gilman at Lou's level probably not but is Yzerman at Lou's level five years ago?

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012

So you barely consider irrelevant opinions...Ok, but...I would think in order to determine if an opinion is relevant or not, you'd have to consider them in order to assess them. Semantics aside, if a fan endorses Dubas in deference to Shanahan's endorsement, do you also hold Shanahan's opinion as irrelevant because of his lack of Cup success as a hockey executive, presumably while foregoing his experience as a HOF player with multiple Cups?

I'm just curious why you see the need for one bias and not another.

Reactions: Superstar

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
i truly don't understand if people want to not take other people's opinions and what they can bring to a conversation and discourse, why in God's green earth are they on a messageboard. there are a few people like that here and it really bumpuzzles me. like. i learn a lot of things from a lot of people, and i hope some people garner some stuff from me, i like the actual discussion, when people aren't being rude or just want to have the snark fest

but the actual, well. your opinion doesn't matter, mine is superior looking down on people makes no sense. you're better off just recording yourself and hearing yourself talk if that's the case.

BackPassChampions

Jun 26, 2015
You have to understand how little I value the opinion of random people. I value the opinion of people I deem to be experts on a subject, not randoms.

When I formulate an opinion on a subject, I don't seek out to have the most popular opinion on said subject. If my opinion happens to be popular, so be it, but popularity among random people brings me no joy. Like zero. I value my own opinion above all else.

If Kyle Dubas would have been hired by the Avs as their GM, I would venture to say the majority of people on here would sing his praises on the Avs board and say it sucks we lost him. But clearly I don't share the blind love for Kyle that many on here do. So just because a bunch of random Leafs fans spout an opinion that Dubas was instrumental in building what the Leafs are today, doesn't make it fact. And more importantly doesn't mean I share the opinion.

I can see why some people feel the need for validation when moves like this are made. I admit I don't know everything about this guy. I just know the broad strokes. He was part of an organization that is widely seen as underachievers, within that organization it sounds like he had a lot of the same role as Dubas, which I believe has minimal impact on the organization. He later went to work for the league and apparently helped Vegas, although not enough to land a full time gig. The only other organization that apparently had serious interest in him was Carolina, which in my mind is among the worst run organization in the league.

In my mind if he was an A+ candidate (the type we should be after) then you would hear his name mentioned one time and he would get that job that he was tied to, and it would likely be as a GM, not an AGM for a rookie GM.

But as I've said before my criticism of the selection is only based on my desire to see this organization reach for the stars like we did with Hunter, Babs, and Lou. This feels like reaching for the bottom shelf of the cupboard. Not horrible, but not spectacular. Underwhelming if you will. I don't think we should be an organization that makes underwhelming decisions.

So much negativity. Your welcome to watch another team..... Please watch another team.

Sick of these negative Leaf fans.

P.S: I will not part take in a back and forth with you. Cheers!

Huggy43

Jan 13, 2016
Burnaby, BC
Another Canuck fan here, However I guess I could just come here as a fan of Laurence's. His 2hrs on Wednesday's for 1040 were an absolute treat because it gave you an idea how he'd build a team, his role in building the greatest era in VAN's history & just how smart the guy is. He's a great fit with Dubas. Man, I'm really jealous of your management team.

Hope he finally gets that AGM Cup ring too & gets to take out Boston in the process.... God this feels weird. Good luck guys!

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
i truly don't understand if people want to not take other people's opinions and what they can bring to a conversation and discourse, why in God's green earth are they on a messageboard. there are a few people like that here and it really bumpuzzles me. like. i learn a lot of things from a lot of people, and i hope some people garner some stuff from me, i like the actual discussion, when people aren't being rude or just want to have the snark fest

but the actual, well. your opinion doesn't matter, mine is superior looking down on people makes no sense. you're better off just recording yourself and hearing yourself talk if that's the case.
I think it's part of an egotistical mindset in which they want to influence others around them and see if they can convince people that their off the wall, one in a million, against the grain opinion is superior too everyone else.

That's why they go to a message board and not to real people in their life.

BackPassChampions

Jun 26, 2015
Another Canuck fan here, However I guess I could just come here as a fan of Laurence's. His 2hrs on Wednesday's for 1040 were an absolute treat because it gave you an idea how he'd build a team, his role in building the greatest era in VAN's history & just how smart the guy is. He's a great fit with Dubas. Man, I'm really jealous of your management team.

Hope he finally gets that AGM Cup ring too & gets to take out Boston in the process.... God this feels weird. Good luck guys!

Thanks for the positivity!!! Seems like some people actually have facts to back up their opinions.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
You have to understand how little I value the opinion of random people. I value the opinion of people I deem to be experts on a subject, not randoms.

When I formulate an opinion on a subject, I don't seek out to have the most popular opinion on said subject. If my opinion happens to be popular, so be it, but popularity among random people brings me no joy. Like zero. I value my own opinion above all . . .

This is an excellent perspective because, in my world, you are the ultimate "random" poster.

Lots of opinion, prolific (as though I or anyone else cares what you think), a self-proclaimed "elite poster" (in my field of work, self-proclaimed "experts" are scoffed at and derided), and one who blows off their own ignorance of the facts with ease (such as the suggestion that Gilman was unemployed for years).

It's good and healthy that popularity brings you no joy, and that you so obviously value your own opinion above all. I value yours as well, for its frequent comedic value.

I am very impressed by what I've read about Laurence Gilman, and for the benefits of other readers (who, unlike your self-absorbed self, might be interested in "random" posters like me) I think this looks like a fabulous hire.

I am also impressed that young Dubas exerted his command so swiftly.

Reactions: Walshy7 and mmalady

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Seems like the type of hire I expected. Unemployed for years, desperate to get back in the league and willing to work for a young GM with no reputation in the league.

The good thing is it sounds like he'll have Dubas' old role which means he'll have very little to no impact on the organization.

Unimpressive hire though.

What. Is having the greatest assistant GM in the world some sort of goal of yours?

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
Has his soundcloud interview been posted? / allowed to be? Its a great listen. This guy helped build LV and talked about it being a "asset harvest". Cant wait!

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015

When I formulate an opinion on a subject, I don't seek out to have the most popular opinion on said subject. If my opinion happens to be popular, so be it, but popularity among random people brings me no joy. Like zero. I value my own opinion above all else.

If Kyle Dubas would have been hired by the Avs as their GM, I would venture to say the majority of people on here would sing his praises on the Avs board and say it sucks we lost him. But clearly I don't share the blind love for Kyle that many on here do. So just because a bunch of random Leafs fans spout an opinion that Dubas was instrumental in building what the Leafs are today, doesn't make it fact. And more importantly doesn't mean I share the opinion.

I can see why some people feel the need for validation when moves like this are made. I admit I don't know everything about this guy. I just know the broad strokes. He was part of an organization that is widely seen as underachievers, within that organization it sounds like he had a lot of the same role as Dubas, which I believe has minimal impact on the organization. He later went to work for the league and apparently helped Vegas, although not enough to land a full time gig. The only other organization that apparently had serious interest in him was Carolina, which in my mind is among the worst run organization in the league.

In my mind if he was an A+ candidate (the type we should be after) then you would hear his name mentioned one time and he would get that job that he was tied to, and it would likely be as a GM, not an AGM for a rookie GM.

But as I've said before my criticism of the selection is only based on my desire to see this organization reach for the stars like we did with Hunter, Babs, and Lou. This feels like reaching for the bottom shelf of the cupboard. Not horrible, but not spectacular. Underwhelming if you will. I don't think we should be an organization that makes underwhelming decisions.

As long as you know that Gillman helped build Las Vegas that are in the Cup Finals.. then keep thinking what you want. Also its ironic you dont care about randoms peoples opinions but post a lot on a forum where most people dont care what you have to say.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
What. Is having the greatest assistant GM in the world some sort of goal of yours?
No, his goal is to act like his opinion is the greatest thing since sliced bread, so he can act "superior" to everyone else posting. He's the HFBoard Leafs section equivalent of Steve Simmons or Damien Cox.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
So you barely consider irrelevant opinions...Ok, but...I would think in order to determine if an opinion is relevant or not, you'd have to consider them in order to assess them. Semantics aside, if a fan endorses Dubas in deference to Shanahan's endorsement, do you also hold Shanahan's opinion as irrelevant because of his lack of Cup success as a hockey executive, presumably while foregoing his experience as a HOF player with multiple Cups?

I'm just curious why you see the need for one bias and not another.

Because he's literally bias...that's the very definition of bias all wrapped up in that irony of a question.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad