Confirmed with Link: Maple Leafs Name Laurence Gilman Assistant General Manager

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Seems like a smart pick up, and certainly out of left field. I hope Dubas continues the Lou trend of keeping the Toronto media totally in the dark, as its hilarious to see them whine and stomp their feet over the lack of information.
If Mirtle's story from Tuesday night is any indication, I wouldn't expect Lou type silence.

Mirtle somehow got stuff heavily related to the 2015 draft and 2018 draft, with very little in-between.

Last edited:

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I'm sure this will happen soon.
MLSE has been dropping bombs all week so hopefully soon it will happen.

The drafts in a month, if we're having a philosophical change and new scout added into the mix, that's a big upheaval right before we need these guys especially as i'm not sure how Dubas feels about the Hunter holdovers still involved

I'm concerned after the talk of him dramatically altering the draft board.

He'll remove the guys he doesn't like, but you can't turn over a whole scouting staff in an offseason (and if you can, you should be very worried). Even Hunter, organizing one of the most aggressive scouting turnover for an NHL team in recent memory retained a few guys (John Lilley, Bergman, Ladygin, and Garth Malarchuk), and thats after 3 years, even more than that were originally retained.

I'm straight up worried about this draft, a lot of the scouts have ties to Hunter and I presume they generally think his ideas and philosophies are correct and there of a like mind so how the hell is a gigantic change in philosophy going to work 1 month out of the draft? I don't see how that meshes

I'll worry about the scouting turnover in the off season after this draft (not that I'm not unconcerned about that either with the lack of scouting experience in the front office)

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
It is still too early to judge Hunter scouting records, you really need 5 yrs. Last year, some here were saying Hunter should have drafted Aho or not trade down....but now most if not all are saying Dermott is a great pick.

As for late rounders, if there is a scout that can hit on a later rounder in every draft, think it has more to luck than anything else.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I totally agree with that, but even with the Marner pick, aside from Hanifin, if they took provorov or werenski instead I don't see how that would be bad.

Dermott is definitely a great pick but outside of the top 2 rounds what D+1s are looking like steals? Don't get me wrong I liked Hunter but I don't think he is as impossibly irreplaceable as Cynick is going on about

LOL. Cynick is in love with himself and taking anything he says seriosly is a huge mistake.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
We have VASTLY different definitions of cream of the crop. Its like saying a kid who did fairly well in middle school is on the same level as someone who dominated their PHD.
No it's saying one of the brightest upcoming minds in the field is maturing nicely

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
A good, experienced hire. Dubas must have had his thumb on him in the event Hunter bailed.
Dubas would have likely crossed paths with Gilman as AHL GMs, and it sounds like he made a good impression.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
The drafts in a month, if we're having a philosophical change and new scout added into the mix, that's a big upheaval right before we need these guys especially as i'm not sure how Dubas feels about the Hunter holdovers still involved

I'm straight up worried about this draft, a lot of the scouts have ties to Hunter and I presume they generally think his ideas and philosophies are correct and there of a like mind so how the hell is a gigantic change in philosophy going to work 1 month out of the draft? I don't see how that meshes

I'll worry about the scouting turnover in the off season after this draft (not that I'm not unconcerned about that either with the lack of scouting experience in the front office)
I figured that out shortly after I posted
Agreed!

Reactions: Kiwi

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Dubas adds ex-Canucks executive Laurence Gilman to Leafs’ front office as assistant GM | The Star
“For now, I have a great deal of trust in our area directors in scouting and we’re very focussed on getting ready for the draft,” said Dubas, currently travelling with the Marlies on their Calder Cup run. “We’re very happy to be able to move Brandon up (from assistant to the general manager) and add Laurence."

“I wanted to keep everything progressing, but as we get to the summer, if there are people I think can add to the organization, I think we’ll explore all of those. But I don’t anticipate anything imminent.”

The Leafs will choose 25th. Other than saying he likes “good players,” Dubas was uncomfortable speaking about what kind of players the Leafs will be looking for, unwilling to “expose to the hockey world your whole strategy.”

Dubas was also mum on whether there were any contract talks pending restricted free agent William Nylander.

Dubas’s comments came Thursday, his first interview since the Lamoriello and Hunter left the organization. Gilman and Pridham fill those gaps.

“Everything that we’ll do, we’ll be working as a team,” said Dubas. “Laurence’s experience in hockey goes far beyond contract work. And Brandon does contract research and handling the CBA-related items, but his experience goes beyond that."

“If you have two people who are great at one thing and have many other strengths, that only helps the organization. We’ll lean on each other for everything we do.”

Schooner

Sep 19, 2017
He's not irreplaceable. No one is Hockey is, unless you are talking about losing McDavid for his career or something. Everyone has someone close enough in ability that they can be replaced. But, finding those people is hard. Most people who are as good as Mark Hunter can't leave for a lateral positon.

Teams don't hit on players outside the 2nd round ofter, and if it happens, it is an extreme rarity. They generally don't emerge until later on such as Parayko. Making that the standard on how to evaluate a staff is unreasonable, especially over such a short period of time.

Tell that to CyNick...only reason I posted in the first place. My argument is with him, not you

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
And Dubas was voted one of the brightest up and coming minds by leaders in the sports field.
Your argument is weak if you need to compare a childhood achievement to an adult one
Okay, I'm not siding with Cynick, but where was he voted this and by who?

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
And Dubas was voted one of the brightest up and coming minds by leaders in the sports field.
Your argument is weak if you need to compare a childhood achievement to an adult one

Its a similar comparison to what Kyle has acheived relative to guys like Lou.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Okay, I'm not siding with Cynick, but where was he voted this and by who?
Forbes.
Owner of the clippers
Owner of a player agency
And I can't remember the others

Steve Ballmer
Owner, Los Angeles Clippers
Full Bio
Leigh Steinberg
Sports agent, Steinberg Sports and Entertainment
Full Bio
Drew Dorweiler
Managing partner, Dartmouth Partners
Full Bio

Reactions: Schooner

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Forbes.
Owner of the clippers
Owner of a player agency
And I can't remember the others

Steve Ballmer
Owner, Los Angeles Clippers
Full Bio
Leigh Steinberg
Sports agent, Steinberg Sports and Entertainment
Full Bio
Drew Dorweiler
Managing partner, Dartmouth Partners
Full Bio
If you are talking about being named in 30 under 30 in 2015, that wasn't a vote. That was just an article piece featuring people under the age of 30 in prominent roles in the sports world, and attaching an article about them.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
If you are talking about being named in 30 under 30 in 2015, that wasn't a vote. That was just an article piece featuring people under the age of 30 in prominent roles in the sports world, and attaching an article about them.

Hey, nobody is perfect!

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Well they call them judges :dunno:

30 Under 30 - Forbes
There's a difference between running an actual vote, then having a small committee contribute on who to write an article on.

It'd be the difference betwen me and 2 other posters deciding who the top 30 prospects are, compared to putting out a list of say a 100 or so prospects a committee has narrowed down and asking for the top 30 to be voted on.

Its a list that's purposfully diverse, and probably avoids repeating names too much. For example, why would Malkin and MacKinnon be on it, but not Crosby (who won the Hart that year) or why would Ronaldo and Neymar be there but not Messi. The writers choose people they think would be an interesting story, and then have them vetted by that panel.

Reactions: hotpaws

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
"This move screams desperation from Dubas. I can't help but think this will be the first of many mistakes made by this new regime. As I have mentioned previously, there will for fact be a lot of pressure on Dubas. Some like to paint him as a wunderkind but I factually know that he will not be successful. A hire like this would never fly under the Lou administration. I know this for a fact. This will not end well for the Leafs".

-The Winter Soldier, probably

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
@The CyNick, on a final note that I don't think you've touched on yet,

How do you respond to all the Canucks fans coming in here telling is that this was an elite hire, bragging about his skillset, wanting to hire him as their own GM?

Seriously there's been probably 15 Canucks fans that have come in here and told us how amazing he is.

Why are you doubting these fans that have known him for many years, when you only heard of his name this morning? Are these fans all wrong to, that the AGM they know is not an elite hire?

I'm sorry, but I trust these fans that live and breath the team Gilman helped build. They know a lot more about him than you or me.

Last edited:

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
There's a difference between running an actual vote, then having a small committee contribute on who to write an article on.

It'd be the difference betwen me and 2 other posters deciding who the top 30 prospects are, compared to putting out a list of say a 100 or so prospects a committee has narrowed down and asking for the top 30 to be voted on.

Its a list that's purposfully diverse, and probably avoids repeating names too much. For example, why would Malkin and MacKinnon be on it, but not Crosby (who won the Hart that year) or why would Ronaldo and Neymar be there but not Messi. The writers choose people they think would be an interesting story, and then have them vetted by that panel.
But do you not think there is a difference between you and 2 other HF poster verses 3 people that are executives and involved in the day to day of sports on a professional level?
I mean we here 99.9% have jobs that are not sports related and if we do are we at the depth and success level of them?
Do you really think your comparison is fair?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
But do you not think there is a difference between you and 2 other HF poster verses 3 people that are executives and involved in the day to day of sports on a professional level?
I mean we here 99.9% have jobs that are not sports related and if we do are we at the depth and success level of them?
Do you really think your comparison is fair?
That isn't a vote, I was using it as an example to illustrate what a vote actually is. These people weren't even chosen by those people, they were just vetted as quality candidates to write about. They were chosen by writers as Forbes to do pieces on, and then the committee approved them as people to write about. It is very far from a definitive list. They chose 30 interesting people to do stories on, then had the people just see if they were quality people to do a piece on.

Steve Balmer just owns a team. His money was made working as a salesman for Microsoft. I doubt until it was presented to him he even knew who Kyle Dubas or a bunch of people on this list were. He just looked over it, and decided it was acceptable.

I wouldn't really call it voted. Forbes named him one. There was no vote.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
That isn't a vote, I was using it as an example to illustrate what a vote actually is. These people weren't even chosen by those people, they were just vetted as quality candidates to write about. They were chosen by writers as Forbes to do pieces on, and then the committee approved them as people to write about. It is very far from a definitive list. They chose 30 interesting people to do stories on, then had the people just see if they were quality people to do a piece on.

Steve Balmer just owns a team. His money was made working as a salesman for Microsoft. I doubt until it was presented to him he even knew who Kyle Dubas or a bunch of people on this list were. He just looked over it, and decided it was acceptable.

I wouldn't really call it voted. Forbes named him one. There was no vote.
These are still professionals what to give their professional appraisal on Dubas.
I will take theirs over 3 random HF officials.
For one they will have information available to them we don't.
Two they will have contacts we don't.
Three they will have resources to gather information we don't.
Four their opinions will still be from leading minds not random posters

And ok maybe they shouldn't have said judges but the point still stands

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad