Confirmed with Link: Maple Leafs Name Laurence Gilman Assistant General Manager

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
These are still professionals what to give their professional appraisal on Dubas.
I will take theirs over 3 random HF officials.
For one they will have information available to them we don't.
Two they will have contacts we don't.
Three they will have resources to gather information we don't.
Four their opinions will still be from leading minds not random posters

And ok maybe they shouldn't have said judges but the point still stands
Yes, but its just a random Forbes list on up and coming people under 30 in Sports. I don't think that really holds much weight.

My point was, it wasn't a voted on award. It was writers who chose a topic who then a committee somewhat vetted. That is a much different process than a vote. Its a yearly puff piece from Forbes on interesting up and comers in certain fields. We really shouldn't put too much weight into it. They never really repeat the same people and its always an eccletic list. Look at 2016 and 2017

30 Under 30 2017: Sports

30 Under 30 2016: Sports

For example, Sid has been eligible two times and didn't make it. They choose interesting stories, not the top 30 people under 30 in Sports.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Yes, but its just a random Forbes list on up and coming people under 30 in Sports. I don't think that really holds much weight.

My point was, it wasn't a voted on award. It was writers who chose a topic who then a committee somewhat vetted. That is a much different process than a vote. Its a yearly puff piece from Forbes on interesting up and comers in certain fields. We really shouldn't put too much weight into it. They never really repeat the same people and its always an eccletic list. Look at 2016 and 2017

For example, Sid has been eligible two times and didn't make it. They choose interesting stories, not the top 30 people under 30 in Sports.
I agree that the vote was misrepresented but the chosen were picked because they stood out of tens of thousands of others. Still a worth accomplishment

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I agree that the vote was misrepresented but the chosen were picked because they stood out of tens of thousands of others. Still a worth accomplishment
Looking through, I was a bit surprised John Chayka wasn't on the 2016 list. Then again, Toronto Maple Leafs profile is much bigger than a Arizona Coyotes profile. I think the purpose of these pieces is to show off young people succeeding and doing interesting things.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
@The CyNick, on a final note that I don't think you've touched on yet,

How do you respond to all the Canucks fans coming in here telling is that this was an elite hire, bragging about his skillset, wanting to hire him as their own GM?

Seriously there's been probably 15 Canucks fans that have come in here and told us how amazing he is.

Why are you doubting these fans that have known him for many years, when you only heard of his name this morning? Are these fans all wrong to, that the AGM they know is not an elite hire?

I'm sorry, but I trust these fans that live and breath the team Gilman helped build. They know a lot more about him than you or me.

You have to understand how little I value the opinion of random people. I value the opinion of people I deem to be experts on a subject, not randoms.

When I formulate an opinion on a subject, I don't seek out to have the most popular opinion on said subject. If my opinion happens to be popular, so be it, but popularity among random people brings me no joy. Like zero. I value my own opinion above all else.

If Kyle Dubas would have been hired by the Avs as their GM, I would venture to say the majority of people on here would sing his praises on the Avs board and say it sucks we lost him. But clearly I don't share the blind love for Kyle that many on here do. So just because a bunch of random Leafs fans spout an opinion that Dubas was instrumental in building what the Leafs are today, doesn't make it fact. And more importantly doesn't mean I share the opinion.

I can see why some people feel the need for validation when moves like this are made. I admit I don't know everything about this guy. I just know the broad strokes. He was part of an organization that is widely seen as underachievers, within that organization it sounds like he had a lot of the same role as Dubas, which I believe has minimal impact on the organization. He later went to work for the league and apparently helped Vegas, although not enough to land a full time gig. The only other organization that apparently had serious interest in him was Carolina, which in my mind is among the worst run organization in the league.

In my mind if he was an A+ candidate (the type we should be after) then you would hear his name mentioned one time and he would get that job that he was tied to, and it would likely be as a GM, not an AGM for a rookie GM.

But as I've said before my criticism of the selection is only based on my desire to see this organization reach for the stars like we did with Hunter, Babs, and Lou. This feels like reaching for the bottom shelf of the cupboard. Not horrible, but not spectacular. Underwhelming if you will. I don't think we should be an organization that makes underwhelming decisions.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Looking through, I was a bit surprised John Chayka wasn't on the 2016 list. Then again, Toronto Maple Leafs profile is much bigger than a Arizona Coyotes profile. I think the purpose of these pieces is to show off young people succeeding and doing interesting things.
That it is but again still impressive to make the list.

Reactions: stickty111

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009

I vote this most well reported post on this page.

Good job!

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009

Its literally not. Its random. Its like being named on the top 50 celebrities for people magazine. Just whoever the writers decided to write about. Enjoyed reading the discussion though.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I see what your saying, but he's basically named because he was the AGM of the Leafs at 29. The impressive accomplishment is being an AGM for the Leafs at 29, not making that list. No ones putting him on that list if he's still working for SSM.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Canucks fan coming in peace.

You guys got a good one. Gilman is awesome. He's a great 'capologist' and will be perfect for negotiating long-term contracts for all of your young players. He really got the Canucks to buy-in to the home team discount to chase the Cup (Burrows, Sedins, Kesler, etc.). He's also an underrated hockey mind, as he seems to have been a driving force behind drafting Horvat (said on the radio that his interview at the draft and personality was a big reason why they chose him). Reading between the lines, he was essentially fired from Vancouver because he disagreed with Benning too frequently (who can blame him given the Sbisa and Dorsett contracts, which occurred right before Gilman was canned) - the Canucks fired the wrong guy.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
You have to understand how little I value the opinion of random people. I value the opinion of people I deem to be experts on a subject, not randoms.

When I formulate an opinion on a subject, I don't seek out to have the most popular opinion on said subject. If my opinion happens to be popular, so be it, but popularity among random people brings me no joy. Like zero. I value my own opinion above all else.

If Kyle Dubas would have been hired by the Avs as their GM, I would venture to say the majority of people on here would sing his praises on the Avs board and say it sucks we lost him. But clearly I don't share the blind love for Kyle that many on here do. So just because a bunch of random Leafs fans spout an opinion that Dubas was instrumental in building what the Leafs are today, doesn't make it fact. And more importantly doesn't mean I share the opinion.

I can see why some people feel the need for validation when moves like this are made. I admit I don't know everything about this guy. I just know the broad strokes. He was part of an organization that is widely seen as underachievers, within that organization it sounds like he had a lot of the same role as Dubas, which I believe has minimal impact on the organization. He later went to work for the league and apparently helped Vegas, although not enough to land a full time gig. The only other organization that apparently had serious interest in him was Carolina, which in my mind is among the worst run organization in the league.

In my mind if he was an A+ candidate (the type we should be after) then you would hear his name mentioned one time and he would get that job that he was tied to, and it would likely be as a GM, not an AGM for a rookie GM.

But as I've said before my criticism of the selection is only based on my desire to see this organization reach for the stars like we did with Hunter, Babs, and Lou. This feels like reaching for the bottom shelf of the cupboard. Not horrible, but not spectacular. Underwhelming if you will. I don't think we should be an organization that makes underwhelming decisions.
Valid, I'm going to leave most of your post alone, as it's mostly personal opinion anyways.

One question, is who would you deem to be an expert on the subject of Lawerance Gilman in the role of an AGM? A few people beyond yourself obviously.

Would Canucks fans be experts?
Would Canucks management be experts?
Would you consider legitimate NHL insiders to be experts?
Would leafs management be experts?
You obviously think that there's a few "experts" on this subject, and I'm curious what they think.

Thanks!

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Fun to see everyone ignore CyNick(Rielly is a 3rd pairing d man).
You guys are learning to not pay attention to his stuff, no matter how much he pretends to be the most knowledgable even though as we know thats a lie.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
You guys are learning to not pay attention to his stuff, no matter how much he pretends to be the most knowledgable even though as we know thats a lie.
Is he the guy who said that? :laugh:

I know everyone is entitled to their opinion but geez.

I think we'll see the Leafs hire a scouting "hockey guy" sometime after this draft to help run that in the future. No problem here for running this year's without one.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

I forgot about that little nugget of knowledge he kept preaching lol. Rielly is going to continue making that statement laughable.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
I forgot about that little nugget of knowledge he kept preaching lol. Rielly is going to continue making that statement laughable.
My favorite part is the "fancy stats" that only he had access to that apparently painted Rielly in this way.

The guy is an easy ignore, he's like a more thick, arrogant version of TWS.

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
I'm a little bit concerned that he has a bit of 'nuck funk on him, but he's only an assistant GM so it shouldn't matter too much. I'm pretty sure his only function will playing yes man to our junior hipster GM while waiting to steal his job if the kid fumbles. That has to be the attraction here for Gilman, a chance to pick at the carcass first if Dubas crashes. I know Shanahan mentioned talking to GM candidates both inside and outside the organization before chosing Dubas, I wonder if Gilman was one of the outside the organization candidates. Maybe this isn't a Dubas hire, but a Shanahan hire.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I'm a little bit concerned that he has a bit of 'nuck funk on him, but he's only an assistant GM so it shouldn't matter too much. I'm pretty sure his only function will playing yes man to our junior hipster GM while waiting to steal his job if the kid fumbles. That has to be the attraction here for Gilman, a chance to pick at the carcass first if Dubas crashes. I know Shanahan mentioned talking to GM candidates both inside and outside the organization before chosing Dubas, I wonder if Gilman was one of the outside the organization candidates. Maybe this isn't a Dubas hire, but a Shanahan hire.
Although I'm sure a lot of people hope Dubas fails. This looks like from what has come out today, to be Dubas' hire.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Since there is no cap on management and support staff, I'm all for over paying to get good people to run this team, it is one place where having money can help, also to lure the best away from other teams, the other teams can use tax loopholes to lure players but they don't have the revenue stream, like we do to out right offer big bucks to get good hockey people.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
It is a good hire as Kyle is going to need the support from someone who has been around the NHL and in management groups a while as experience is valued.

Nice start to his group of hires the head scout player personal hire is the key hire and I await that announcement .

Only one I am hearing that I am not a fan of is Wes Clark. Maybe he has changed.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.

It would be a slap in the face to Dubas if Shanahan hired an AGM right after naming him GM. Any GM would be expected to have the autonomy to choose his support staff.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

But you are literally here posting for hours every day, writing lengthy posts conversing with randoms. That conclusively refutes this, and demonstrates an incredible lack of self-awareness, or outright trolling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad