Confirmed with Link: Maple Leafs Name Laurence Gilman Assistant General Manager

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
I haven't read thru the thread yet but I was wondering if anyone has listened to the Craig Custance podcast with Gilman ? It's just over an hour long but well worth the listen. He's one smart man.

Dubas is a genius!

Last edited:
Reactions: Lauro

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
I have so enjoyed the banter that has been this thread. Thx to Canuck fans for dropping by to offer their thoughts, thx to regulars who’ve praised the hire and to those who’ve questioned it. Thx to those who argue that further development within the management structure is required, specifically in the scouting area. And finally, thank you to one special poster, who need not be named for we all recognize the special quality that is hubris...I compliment you, dear knower of all that is, was, and will be. I am in awe of your convictions, confidence and infallibility, you are an inspiration.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Babcock might have the most powerful voice in the organization if it ever came to boil. But, I don't think he has any intention of throwing a palace coup, but I wouldn't be surprised if something is done to appease him (Tim Speltz to director of scouting).

Babcock gets 8 million dollars a year to coach that’s enough appeasement

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Isn't it 5?

Edit: Oops no it's 6.25M USD (8 Years / 50M)

.. So ya 8M CDN lol

lol basically what am trying to say is that he gets paid handsomely to “coach” there is no further need to appease him

It’s not like he is doing magnificent wonders with his coaching.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
there will be a lot of people here who feel that coaching has nothing to do wth it.
Oh I'm well aware Daisy...

Which is unfortunate, because the vast majority know that as a whole, Babcock has been great in his tenure with us. I have nothing but rearesp for the man.

This discussion is probably best suited for another thread though :)

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Yeah, our best season ever in 100+ years is nothing special...

Okay. How much of that is the coach and how much of that are the players?

Do you think Leafs had a probability of landing home ice this post season if some personnel decisions or in game decisions have been different? Or leafs achieved the optimal result that they could have and there was no way of any improvement?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

Do you think Leafs had a probability of landing home ice this post season if some personnel decisions or in game decisions have been different? Or leafs achieved the optimal result that they could have and there was no way of any improvement?

Who said there was no room for improvement?

There is always room to be better. Thinking that the lack of improvement all comes from the coaching decisions is 100% wrong.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015

so babcock cost us 8+ points since we were 7 back of Boston? Yikes.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
This is an excellent perspective because, in my world, you are the ultimate "random" poster.

Lots of opinion, prolific (as though I or anyone else cares what you think), a self-proclaimed "elite poster" (in my field of work, self-proclaimed "experts" are scoffed at and derided), and one who blows off their own ignorance of the facts with ease (such as the suggestion that Gilman was unemployed for years).

It's good and healthy that popularity brings you no joy, and that you so obviously value your own opinion above all. I value yours as well, for its frequent comedic value.

I am very impressed by what I've read about Laurence Gilman, and for the benefits of other readers (who, unlike your self-absorbed self, might be interested in "random" posters like me) I think this looks like a fabulous hire.

I am also impressed that young Dubas exerted his command so swiftly.

Silly. Expertise is something negotiated with your peers, not a mantle you can pick up.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
So, so far, no one else besides yourself is an expert on this topic and you trust no one else's opinion?

For the record, I would honestly love to get along with you, but you make it so so hard, with your outlandish opinions, hot takes, and 'im the only expert' thinking. The 'im smarter than everyone' stuff is so unbearable when you're plain wrong and illogical half the time.
He just plays a character. Nothing more, nothing less.

Drugstorecowboi

May 5, 2009
Nice hire. He has a good eye for talent and had a big role in creating the 2011 Canucks, which is one of the best teams to never win a stanley cup.
Lived out west. Wouldn't say he was a big part of the Canucks 2011 team - most of the guys on that team were Burke/Nonis era players. I think Gilman (Nucks GM) added Samuelson and Hamhuis as bigger pieces but that's about it. Being that he was a part of the Gilman GM regime leaves is actually pretty bad. He's not a talent evaluator but more of a Lawyer/Cap/Accountant/Numbers guy. Def a step way down from Lou Lam & Hunter.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

lawrence

May 19, 2012
VEry good signing. ALways like him, friendly guy always honest when dealing with the media. Surprised it took him so long to find another gig. Very happy for him, leafs for themselves a good guy in Gillian.

He was actually one of the candidates to take over Gillis.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
VEry good signing. ALways like him, friendly guy always honest when dealing with the media. Surprised it took him so long to find another gig. Very happy for him, leafs for themselves a good guy in Gillian.

He was actually one of the candidates to take over Gillis.

You can't fool me Mr. Gilman, changing one letter in your name to toot your own horn on the internet. For shame

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Who said there was no room for improvement?

There is always room to be better. Thinking that the lack of improvement all comes from the coaching decisions is 100% wrong.

So can Babcock shoulder some of the blame or is it all on players?

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Lived out west. Wouldn't say he was a big part of the Canucks 2011 team - most of the guys on that team were Burke/Nonis era players. I think Gilman (Nucks GM) added Samuelson and Hamhuis as bigger pieces but that's about it. Being that he was a part of the Gilman GM regime leaves is actually pretty bad. He's not a talent evaluator but more of a Lawyer/Cap/Accountant/Numbers guy. Def a step way down from Lou Lam & Hunter.

A lot of this is disinformation.

The most important thing that Gillis did was add complementary pieces to their core of Sedins/Burrows/Kesler etc.

One way they did this was to get the entire d-corps to agree to an internal cap as an exchange for being on a contending team. Nobody on the back end of that cup team was making more than $4.25M a year.

They added Sundin, HIggins, Samuelsson, Hamhuis, Ehrhoff, Garrison, Booth, Ballard, Lapierre, Malhotra, Torres, Rome.

When are our goalie controversy was boiling over, we traded Schneider for the pick that became Bo Horvat.

What Gilman will absolutely bring is shrewd asset management. That kind of asset management will keep the cupboards stocked as long as you trust your scouting staff (yes I know Mark Hunter was good but the collective efforts of the scouts is really what determines a team's drafting record). Those picks can also be parlayed into the supporting cast that the team needs.

That's going to be more important to a team like the Leafs who already have a good core. You can assume the team won't be picking high anymore for quite some time.

Besides, "talent evaluator" is somewhat akin to "weatherman" in terms of effectiveness these days.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad